Author Topic: government oil spill projections  (Read 1450 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
government oil spill projections
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
Once again, I find that government regulations contributed to the problem rather than actually helping.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703900004575325131111637728.html
         BP PLC and other big oil companies based their plans for responding to a big oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico on U.S. government projections that gave very low odds of oil hitting shore, even in the case of a spill much larger than the current one.

The government models, which oil companies are required to use but have not been updated since 2004, assumed that most of the oil would rapidly evaporate or get broken up by waves or weather. In the weeks since the Deepwater Horizon caught fire and sank, real life has proven these models, prepared by the Interior Department's Mineral Management Service, wrong.
More

Oil has hit 171 miles of shoreline in southern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and northern Florida. Further, government models don't address how oil released a mile below the surface would behave—despite years of concern among government scientists and oil companies about deep-water spills.

Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: government oil spill projections
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
IIRC, didn't BP also get passes by the Government, in particular this rig, on a whole host regulative requirements?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle