Author Topic: I'm Proud to Have Voted For Steve Cohen  (Read 1352 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I'm Proud to Have Voted For Steve Cohen
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:13:53 AM »
I wish our government was stocked full of guys like this.

Cohen to leave state seat Friday
Commercial Appeal: By Bartholomew Sullivan and Richard Locker
November 28, 2006
WASHINGTON -- Congressman-elect Steve Cohen will resign his state Senate seat on
Friday to save taxpayers up to $280,000 and avoid a second set of special elections
early next year, he said Monday.

Gov. Phil Bredesen on Monday set Jan. 25 for the special primary election to replace
former state Rep. Henri Brooks, elected to the Shelby County Commission in August.
Once Cohen's seat is vacated, a primary election on the same date will narrow the
field to succeed him. The districts share 15 precincts.

After 24 years, Cohen said he is leaving the Senate sooner than he'd hoped to and
with "mixed feelings."

He leaves for Boston today for a series of seminars at Harvard University for new
House members.

Cohen's decision to resign his legislative seat this week will spare taxpayers the
cost of an extra special election -- upwards of $280,000.

"It will save considerable money, and it's my responsibility," he said. "I've seen
so many public officials who have not taken into consideration the public
pocketbook."

Bredesen on Monday ordered a special election to fill the House District 92 seat
vacated by Brooks on Nov. 8. Because of the timelines set out for legislative
replacement elections, Cohen had to resign by this Friday in order for the special
election for his Senate District 30 seat to be held on the same dates as the House
district elections.

Shelby County Administrator of Elections James H. Johnson said that about 80 to 85
percent of House District 92 falls within Senate District 30, so if the four
elections -- one primary and one general election for each district -- could be held
concurrently instead of on separate dates, there would be further cost savings. He
said the last special election for a state Senate seat cost about $280,000. Special
elections are paid for by the state.

"We could probably hold both elections for about $290,000, primary and general,"
Johnson said.

Bredesen set the special primary election for Jan. 25 and the general election for
March 13. Under state law, the primary must be 55 to 60 days after the governor
issues the writ of special election and the general election within 100 to 107 days.

Under state law, the Shelby County Commission is now in a position to appoint an
interim state representative for House District 92. It will be free to give notice
of the vacancy in Cohen's District 30 seat on Dec. 4 and make an interim appointment
Dec. 18. In the case of the Senate seat, the interim appointment selected by the 7-6
Democratic majority on the commission is likely to be a Democrat and a vote to
retain Senate Speaker John Wilder, D-Somerville, as lieutenant governor in early
January.

The interim lawmakers will serve until their successors are elected in the special
general elections March 13, at which time the election winners will take their seats
in Nashville.

Contact Washington correspondent Bartholomew Sullivan at (202) 408-2726. Nashville
Bureau chief Richard Locker can be reached at (615) 255-4923.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'm Proud to Have Voted For Steve Cohen
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »
In the case of the Senate seat, the interim appointment selected by the 7-6 Democratic majority on the commission is likely to be a Democrat and a vote to retain Senate Speaker John Wilder, D-Somerville, as lieutenant governor in early January.

Interestingly, the Tennessee State Senate is under a Republican majority, but the Republicans have such little faith in their leader that they vote for John Wilder as Lieutenant Governor which hands control of the committees (and effectively control of the Senate) to the Democrats. It is a case where the GOP Senate Leader - Ron Ramsey - is of the right wing Christian Conservative ilk and the more moderate Republicans won't support him.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.