Author Topic: The perfect gift for the guy that has everything  (Read 514 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The perfect gift for the guy that has everything
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
http://www.etsy.com/listing/35326983/huge-massive-spiked-cave-spider-real

Huge South American cave spider with sharp spikey mandibles.
Species Information:
Species: AMBLYPYGID SPECIES
Native Origin: BRAZIL
This FrameColor is
BLACK
Frame Size:
11" X 11" SQUARE
Background: Insect Name & Origin Printed on Old World Parchment Paper.
Material: Handmade Wood Frame With Glass Face and picture hanger included.

We offer any of our mounted specimens framed in your choice of 7 different frame colors, including white, please see our color chart.
We also offer your choice of two different backgrounds:
1.Old world parchment with the name and country of origin printed under each specimen
2. Plain white backing with the name and country of origin included on the information card on the back of the frame.
Please send us a note if you want the background or frame color changed from the one pictured in this listing and we’ll happily customize it for you.

ABOUT THE BUTTERFLIES AND INSECTS WE USE:
All of the real Butterflies and insects used in our framed shadowbox butterfly art have been raised on natural cruelty free tropical farms around the world. These educational farms, aviaries and co-ops provide a real source of income for native people who would otherwise have to sell trees off of their land or raise cattle which are both ecologically disastrous. Tropical insects are important members of these fragile ecosystems. If their natural habitats are allowed to disappear, then they to will vanish forever. Everything possible must be done to preserve them.

Proudly hand making the highest museum quality framed insects one at a time since 1992.
Please see our profile for information about our work and us.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The perfect gift for the guy that has everything
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
Tropical insects are important members of these fragile ecosystems. If their natural habitats are allowed to disappear, then they to will vanish forever. Everything possible must be done to preserve them.

========================================
And yet we kill them, stuff them into frames and peddle them to people to hang on their walls who would never have done so had we not advertised our humanely exterminated bugs and arachnids. Then we tell everyone how environmentally thoughtful we are.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »
you probably oppose deer, hog, and duck hunting too
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »
Not if you eat the deer, hog and duck, and they are not endangered species.

I imagine that a semiautomatic weapon with 100 bullets is not required for hunting such game.

I just found the framed bug ad a bit sanctimonious. Cave spiders might be endangered species. I am sure no one kills them for food much.

Should any of you ever visit the Mitad del Mundo (0ºlat) site north of Quito, the $2 admission ($1 for seniors) includes entry to four museums, one of which has a LOT of weird bugs, some of them around 4" long. I thought it would be a tourist trap, but really, it was quite interesting, informative and delightful.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »
If it is a renewable resorce , it is a reason to preserve the creatures as a species.

There isn't much danger that chicken will become extinct, Colonel Sanders notwistanding.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
I do not maintain that chickens are likely to become extinct. Cave spiders might become extinct. Perhaps there are some types of wild chickens, somewhere, that might become extinct. I have not done any research on these.

I was simply pointing out that it is silly for someone who kills bugs and sells them to claim to be a supported of protecting endangered species.

I am not opposed to hunting wild chickens with guns, bows and arrows, crossbows and slingshots, so long as the chicken is eaten by the hunter and /or his family.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:20:26 AM »
  They also do butterflys, since the butterflys do not exist without the forest, the cash value of the butterflys causes someone to have a reason to preserve some forest.
   The people who live near the forest will have logging to exploit , and sometimes nothing elese, bugs renew faster then trees.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
Ecuador is currently on a binge to save its many wild areas. It is the most biodiverse country in South America, with four distinct regions: The Sierra, the coastal lowlands, the Amazon Basin and the Galapagos.

The Galapagos is a separate province and a national park. Admission for non-Ecuadoreans is $100.

Ecuadorean Public television is presenting a series of documentaries on every one of the 26 provinces and the Cantons with in them. They have some truly different birds, bugs and animals, and some really spectacular scenery. I have driven through the Rockies, the Cascades, the ERA Madres and West Virginia, but they are all rather puny compared to the Andes.
The Panamerican Highway through the Andes has no straight stretches, you can nearly always see below you or above you the road where you have been and the road where you are going.

You come over a crest and see a town strewn out in a deep valley and it will take a half hour to descend into it, your ears popping all the way. Then the bus will gradually climb up and  out, snaking through hairpin bends up to another crest and down into another valley. Quito, the capital is at 9,500 ft above sea level, in a narrow valley between two rows of mountains. For about a half an hour, the highway went along the highest ridge of the Andes, maybe 11,000 ft., alongside power lines and a series of cellphone towers.

Ecuador has plenty of oil, and Diesel is $1.03 per gallon (yes, they use gallons) so bus travel is cheap, about $1.00 per hour. The buses are less roomy than in Argentina or Uruguay, but clean and relatively comfortable. There are buses everywhere. I never made a reservation, nor did I have to wait over 20 minutes for a bus.

The tallest mountain in Ecuador is Chimborazo, at 6267 mts. or 20,702. The Earth bulges at the Equator, so it's summit is further from the Earth's center than any other place on Earth. Acongagua, in Argentina, is the highest of the Andes at 6962 mts. or 22,841 ft. Cotopaxi is the most impressive, because it is more like a cone in shape. Chimborazo is a rather scattered mass.