Author Topic: Emanual Steward has died  (Read 4943 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Emanual Steward has died
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
If regulation made boxing less dangerous , would it equally make it less exciteing and interesting?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
I suppose that it would depend on the regulation. If the boxers were required to wear head protection, I imagine that would ruin the spectacle for many boxing fans. If half the proceeds were required to be paid to the boxers, that would make no difference.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
Boxing is less bloody than the bare knuckle days of old, which thanks to the Marquis of Queensbury was less bloody than the murdorous fights that preceded.

If the fighters are so well padded and controlled that injury is impossible we might as well be watching them stroll through the park together. At that point the public intrest would return to the bloody underground fighting.

I hope it is possible through medical and technical advancement to make the sport safer in a constanty improving way, good results would be long healthy carreers and long healthy retiements for the fighters who often now suffer greatly.

Perhaps the answr will be an illusion of danger .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »
People apparently enjoy watching boxers get injured and knocked out, just as NASCAR fans enjoy seeing horrible crashes. I agree that bare knuckle fights were worse, but there is probably no way to make a blood sport less bloody without reducing its appeal to those who enjoy watching it.

I find it impossible to watch. I find boxing movies, where I know no one is really hurt that much, to be boring. And I really cannot being myself to give a damn who wins, just as in pro sports.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
Does this make the whole question uninteresting to you?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
Discussing the issue is not uninteresting, but there are certainly more interesting topics.

I do not expect that boxing will be outlawed or changed much, and I hardly think that I could effect any change if I thought that this were the most important issue on the planet, which I do not. Like Pro football and NASCAR, boxing is voluntary.No one is forced to play. Any fool can see how many people are killed, turned into inarticulate zombies and die prematurely to be sports heroes. The NFL players association has wisely asked for changes to make football safer.I hope whatever they do prevents the hundreds of high school football injuries and deaths that happen every year.