Author Topic: Some history behind the Turkey Gaza "Trojan Horse" Flotilla  (Read 946 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Islamist Turkey Overreaches:
Ankara's irresponsible behavior reveals the weaknesses of Islamism 2.0.

National Review
June 8, 2010
By Daniel Pipes

As typical Islamist-leftist theater to delegitimize Israel, late May's Turkish-sponsored "Free Gaza" flotilla was tediously repetitious. As an illustration that Israelis don't understand the kind of war they now must fight, the outcome was drearily predictable. But as a statement of Turkey?s policies and an augury of the Islamist movement's future, it bristled with novelty and significance.

Some background: After some 150 years of faltering efforts at modernization, the Ottoman Empire finally collapsed in 1923 and was replaced by the dynamic, Western-oriented Republic of Turkey, founded and dominated by former Ottoman general Kemal Ataturk. Over the next 15 years, until his death in 1938, Ataturk imposed a Westernization program so stringent that at one point he had rugs in mosques replaced by church-like pews. Although Turkey is nearly 100 percent Muslim, he insisted on a purely secular state.

Ataturk never won the entire Turkish population to his vision and, with time, his laic republic increasingly had to accommodate pious Muslim sentiments. Yet Ataturk?s order persisted into the 1990s, guarded over by the military officer corps, which made it a priority to keep his memory alive and secularism entrenched.

Islamists first acquired parliamentary representation in the early 1970s; their leader, Necmettin Erbakan, served three times as his country's deputy prime minister. As mainstream Turkish political parties frittered away their legitimacy through a disgraceful mix of egoism and corruption, Erbakan went on to become prime minister for a year, 1996-97, until the military asserted itself and threw him out.

Some of Erbakan's more agile and ambitious lieutenants, led by Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in August 2001 formed a new Islamist political party, the Adalet ve Kalkinma Partisi (AKP). Just over a year later, it won a resounding 34 percent plurality of votes and, due to the vagaries of Turkish electoral regulations, dominated parliament with 66 percent of the seats.

Erdogan became prime minister and, by dint of good governance, AKP won a very substantial increase in the vote in 2007. With a renewed mandate and an increasingly sidelined military, it aggressively pursued elaborately fake conspiracy theories, fined a political critic $2.5 billion, videotaped the opposition leader in a compromising sexual situation, and now plans to alter the constitution.

Foreign policy, in the hands of Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, who aspires for Turkey to regain its former leadership of the Middle East, overreached even more blatantly. Ankara not only adopted a more belligerent approach to Cyprus but recklessly inserted itself in such sensitive topics as the Iranian nuclear buildup and the Arab/Israeli conflict. Most surprising of all has been its backing for IHH, a domestic Turkish "charity" with documented ties to al-Qaeda.

If Ankara's irresponsible behavior has worrisome implications for the Middle East and Islam, it also has a mitigating aspect. Turks have been at the forefront of developing what I call Islamism 2.0, the popular, legitimate, and non-violent version of what Ayatollah Khomeini and Osama bin Laden tried to achieve forcefully via Islamism 1.0. I have predicted that Erdogan's insidious form of Islamism "may threaten civilized life even more than does 1.0's brutality."

But his abandonment of earlier modesty and caution suggests that Islamists cannot help themselves, that the thuggishness inherent to Islamism must eventually emerge, that the 2.0 variant must revert to its 1.0 origins. As Martin Kramer posits, "the further Islamists are from power, the more restrained they are, as well as the reverse." This means it might be the case that Islamism presents a less formidable opponent, for two reasons.

First, Turkey hosts the most sophisticated Islamist movement in the world, one that includes not just the AKP but the Fethullah Gulen mass movement, the Adnan Oktar propaganda machine, and more. AKP?s new bellicosity has caused dissension; Gulen, for example, publicly condemned the "Free Gaza farce", which suggests that a debilitating internal battle over tactics could take place.

Second, if once only a small band of analysts recognized Erdogan's Islamist outlook, this fact has now become obvious for the whole world to see. Erdogan has gratuitously discarded his carefully crafted image of a pro-Western "Muslim democrat," making it far easier to treat him as the Tehran-Damascus ally that he is.

As Davutoglu wished, Turkey has returned to the center of the Middle East and the umma. But it no longer deserves full NATO membership and its opposition parties deserve support.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Some history behind the Turkey Gaza "Trojan Horse" Flotilla
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »
A pretty well-informed and to some extent non-propagandistic exposition of Turkish politics, which kind of surprised me.  I was expecting the usual Zio-Nazi torrent of misinformation from the very first word, yet Mr. Pipes somehow toned down his usual rant and produced what I considered to be some interesting and informative reading.

However, I do have some questions and some complaints.

1.  The claim that AKP "now plans to alter the constitution."  What changes do they plan to make?
2.  The Turkish charity IHH has "documented ties to al Qaeda?"  Bullshit.  What possible "documented ties" do they have?  This          sounds        to me a lot like the "documented proof" of Saddam's WMD, i.e., Mossad misinformation at best.
3.  The charge that "Ankara . . . recklessly inserted itself in such sensitive topics as the Iranian nuclear buildup."  That's absolutely
     hilarious.  A power thousands of miles away from the region, the USA, has some kind of natural interest in what kind of weapons or
     what kind of nuclear power Iran can or cannot acquire for itself, France and Germany have similar natural interests, but a regional
     power like Turkey is "recklessly inserting itself" into the issue.  Hilarious.

Up to that point, I thought, subject to a few exceptions that I mentioned, that Pipes had a pretty good overview of the situation.  However, I should have known better.  Pipes' ability to hold his shit together for an entire article obviously is not up to the job.  In the last paragraphs, he can't help but let his disguise fall to pieces, exposing himself as the Zio_Nazi shill he always has been.  Turkey's government are thugs, they are "Islamists," they belong in the "Tehran-Damascus axis" (i.e., they are "terrorists") and if they keep it up, they should be kicked out of NATO.

Yeah, that'll happen - - in order to accommodate apartheid Israel, the hijacker of aid convoys, the murderer of aid workers, the invaders of Gaza, NATO will eject one of its best strategically placed members.  As a favour to Netanyahu.  They'll be delighted.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:10 AM »
Turks are pretty much all fans of Ataturk. When the Turks in Broward County have their annual get to gather, there are more Ataturk flags than Turkish flags. This is a while flag with Ataturk's silhouette in black. They sell Ataturk pins, small Ataturk flags, and other items in the way that Americans exhibit the national flag.

Some Turks want to government to be slightly less secular, and more democratic, in that they do not want the military overthrowing the elected governments anymore.

Turkey does not want to become any sort of Islamic state any more than the US wants to have an established religion. There are plenty of Turks online, you can chat with them as I have.

No way Turkey will leave NATO or be thrown out of NATO. They managed to invade Cyprus and set up a Turkish Chipriot government there without incurring sufficient wrath of the members of NATO (which includes Greece). Cyprus is FAR more important to Turks and Turkey than Israel or Gaza.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »
Three was a great bio of Erdogan in today's Globe & Mail.  He seems to have been dealt some setbacks by the army for being too Islamist and so he learned to keep a lid on it but to move away from Kemalist secularism in little steps.  If instead of tackling secularism head-on, he can appeal to Turkish nationalism and Turkish national interest, in the sense of forming regional power blocks independent of American or European influence, he will be able to satisfy a large bloc of Islamist Turks (the more conservative and rural elements of the population) while keeping the army engaged as the armed guardians of the nation against its external foes.  Every nationalist needs an external foe, and he may have found his in Israel.  Many military men especially in a peacetime army crave the glory of battle and the adulation that usually goes to those who defend the nation in battle.  Cyprus was a godsend to the Turkish military.  Israel could be another one.  Someone who plays the nationalist card well can keep the support of the army and the general public.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »
Seems plausible at least.

Like McCain singing, "Bomb, bomb bomb, Let's bomb Iran."

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 12:14:55 AM »
<<Seems plausible at least.>>

I don't think he'll take it all the way to a shooting war, but I was thinking more of baiting Israel to the brink, which pleases the Islamists and gets the military and the conservative countryside on-board.