Author Topic: Angry Iraqi Throws Shoe at Bush  (Read 12238 times)

Knutey

Re: Angry Iraqi Throws Shoe at Bush
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »
Yet another mistake from the great Knutty. English is my third language.

What would your second language be? Italian? Slovenian? Plattdeutsch? Sweitzerdeutsch?

Uranian no doubt Him being from  Uranus and all.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »
What would your second language be? Italian? Slovenian? Plattdeutsch? Sweitzerdeutsch?

My parents spoke German at home. My second language was Spanish; I lived in Honduras when I was young, we moved there when I was only a few months old. I learned English when we moved back to the US. I then studied French in school after moving back to the US. I picked up a smattering of Greek and Italian along the way as well - there were lots of Greek and Italian families in my neighborhood in NJ.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Knutey

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »

My parents spoke German at home. My second language was Spanish; I lived in Honduras when I was young, we moved there when I was only a few months old. I learned English when we moved back to the US. I then studied French in school after moving back to the US. I picked up a smattering of Greek and Italian along the way as well - there were lots of Greek and Italian families in my neighborhood in NJ.

I am truly impressed that you speak so many languages , but greatly saddened that you have nothing of consequence to say in any of them.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
If someone speaks Plattdeutsch or Sweitzerdeutsch, are these considered separate languages from standard German? Apparently my Paraguayan friend Peter manages to make himself understood with the Mennonites in Loma Plata and Filadelfia, but I hae heard that Plattdeutsch was unintelligible to speakers of standard German.

Honduras is an interesting place to visit, but how does one make a living there?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Knutey

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
dard German.

Honduras is an interesting place to visit, but how does one make a living there?

Gunrunning?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »
People aren't running guns in Honduras now, but there was a time that supposedly the Nicaraguans were running guns to the FMLN in El Salvador. I think Reagan had some trouble with running guns to the Contras in Nicaragua as well.

It was your tax dollars at work in the latter case.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

richpo64

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »
Iraqi who threw shoes at Bush admits it in court
 By Wisam Mohammed, Reuters
Tue Dec 16, 2:40 PM EST
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081215/NEWS-US-IRAQ-BUSH-SHOES/print/

An Iraqi journalist who has admitted hurling his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush appeared before a judge on Tuesday and confirmed his action, a judicial spokesman said.

TV reporter Muntazer al-Zaidi, who also called Bush a "dog" at a news conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki on Sunday and became an instant sensation in the Arab world, faced charges of "aggression against a president," said Abdul Satar Birqadr, spokesman for Iraq's High Judicial Council.

Throwing shoes at someone is considered the ultimate insult in the Arab world and dogs are viewed as dirty and disgusting.

"Al-Zaidi was brought today before the investigating judge in the presence of a defense lawyer and a prosecutor," Birqadr said. "He admits the action he carried out."

The court decided to keep Zaidi in custody, and after the judge completes his investigation of the case may send him for trial under a clause in the Iraqi penal code that punishes anyone who attempts to murder Iraqi or foreign presidents.

Such a crime could result in imprisonment of seven to 15 years, Birqadr said.

Zaidi's brother said on Tuesday he was hit in the head with a rifle butt and had an arm broken in the chaos that broke out after he threw his shoes at Bush and was leapt on by Iraqi security officers and U.S. secret service agents.

He was in a hospital in the heavily fortified Green Zone in Baghdad, his brother Maitham al-Zaidi said.

"All that we know is we were contacted yesterday by a person -- we know him -- and he told us that Muntazer was taken on Sunday to Ibn-Sina hospital," Maitham al-Zaidi said. "He was wounded in the head because he was hit by a rifle butt, and one of his arms was broken."

The brother declined to identify the source of the information and his comments could not be independently verified. Asked about the brother's remarks, various Iraqi officials denied having responsibility for the case.

Birqadr said he was not present during the hearing and so could not confirm whether Zaidi was injured.

He said Zaidi declined an offer to be defended before the court by a lawyer who represented former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein at his trial. Saddam was hanged in 2006.

ANGER

Zaidi's family says he harbored deep anger against Bush, blaming him for the tens of thousands of Iraqis who died after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion unleashed a wave of sectarian and insurgent violence that has only now begun to die down.

Bush, in return, had no hard feelings about the incident, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

"The president just thinks that, it was just a shoe, people express themselves in lots of different ways," she said.

Asked whether Bush believed the journalist should be punished, Perino replied:

"The president believes that Iraq is a sovereign country, a democratic country, and they will have a process that they follow on this. But, as I said, the president harbors no hard feelings about the incident."

Birqadr declined to identify the judge who presided over the initial investigatory hearing on Tuesday.

(Additional reporting by Aseel Kami, Ahmed Rasheed and Waleed Ibrahim, and Tabassum Zakaria in Washington; Writing by Michael Christie, editing by Michael Roddy)

© 2008 Thomson Reuters

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
I am truly impressed that you speak so many languages , but greatly saddened that you have nothing of consequence to say in any of them.

What's even sadder is that you spent no time learning other languages, yet still have nothing of consequence to say in English.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
 :D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

richpo64

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U[/youtube]

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »
If someone speaks Plattdeutsch or Sweitzerdeutsch, are these considered separate languages from standard German? Apparently my Paraguayan friend Peter manages to make himself understood with the Mennonites in Loma Plata and Filadelfia, but I hae heard that Plattdeutsch was unintelligible to speakers of standard German.

They are officially considered dialects, but some native speakers consider them separate languages.

In my father's case, it was erecting embroidery machines, similar to this one or this one.

Knutey

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2008, 12:35:34 AM »

What's even sadder is that you spent no time learning other languages, yet still have nothing of consequence to say in English.

Actually , I have studied French, and Italian. I must admit I am not good at them. I am still studying Spanish and might get good at that. You, however , will never get good at thinking critically and your cheerleaders wont help much either. They enable your anality.
Besides that , they think speaking alien languages is probly subversive.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:23:41 AM by Knutey »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »
You, however , will never get good at thinking critically and your cheerleaders wont help much either. They enable your anality.

Insulting people is not "critical thinking" - perhaps you should learn what critical thinking means.