Author Topic: Warren Buffet  (Read 6957 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Warren Buffet
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007, 02:32:07 PM »
Many, including some in here, are likely very much advocating such, even if not conciously.  Especially if it alleviates their guilt

I am confused about the feeling guilty in the first place.

Feelings are a highly fickle thing.  Some have an uncontrollable sense of guilt if they're doing well financially, but see so much "suffering" in the world, and will question how they could be so fortunate.  Even worse, some will feel angry if others who are deemed to be financially well off, don't feel guilty enough to do something with their own money.  So, they'll advocate doing it for them, via tax manipulation 

Some don't
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2007, 02:59:49 PM »
As I said, the idea of givibng more votes for those who pay more in taxes was not my idea. It was the basis for a book written (probably ghost written) by a crypto-Fascist awlman speculator named H.L. Hunt.

It wasn't really his idea, either. It is based on the way that corporations have elections. The more shares you have, the more votes you get. Normally, you have only two choices: to vote as recommended by the Board of Directors, or to vote against their recommendations.

Basically, I think it sucks. So does the Flat Tax, particularly as proposed by that charismatic boy wonder Steve Forbes. A national sales tax also sucks.

I favor a progressive tax, myself, and I am most in favor of Roth IRA's, which lamentably too few people invest in, because I suspect they are both ignorant and stupid.

I would say that a tax would be fairest if it taxed those who benefitted from the economic system (CEO's, placstic surgeons, sports and recording stars) at a rate reflective of their higher incomes. Perhaps rates should be lower for those who benefit less from the system, but contribute more: (teachers, firemen, nurses).

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:06:04 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2007, 03:28:18 PM »
As I said, the idea of givibng more votes for those who pay more in taxes was not my idea. It was the basis for a book written (probably ghost written) by a crypto-Fascist awlman speculator named H.L. Hunt.  It wasn't really his idea, either. It is based on the way that corporations have elections. The more shares you have, the more votes you get.

And yet, you're the one that introduced the concept into this thread.  I wonder why. 

Basically, I think it sucks. So does the Flat Tax, particularly as proposed by that charismatic boy wonder Steve Forbes. A national sales tax also sucks.  I favor a progressive tax

So basically you're not into fairness for everyone.  That's OK, just be honest then

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2007, 05:00:12 PM »
As I said, the idea of givibng more votes for those who pay more in taxes was not my idea. It was the basis for a book written (probably ghost written) by a crypto-Fascist awlman speculator named H.L. Hunt.  It wasn't really his idea, either. It is based on the way that corporations have elections. The more shares you have, the more votes you get.

And yet, you're the one that introduced the concept into this thread.  I wonder why.

Quote from: Xavier_Onassis on Today at 01:59:49 PM
Basically, I think it sucks. So does the Flat Tax, particularly as proposed by that charismatic boy wonder Steve Forbes. A national sales tax also sucks.  I favor a progressive tax

So basically you're not into fairness for everyone.  That's OK, just be honest then

==========================================================================
Oh, be honest my butt. You8 would not recognize honesty or fairness if they bit you on the tallywhacker.

I introduced it because I thought it would appeal to you. To me, your constant kvetching, pissing and moaning about the hideous unfairness of taxes seems goofy, but unfocused. So I thought I would introduce you to a more focused nutball view of fairness.

There is no concept of fairness that is going to appeal to anything close to a majority of people. I find it amusing and weird that you still have not captured this obvious fact.

As I said, the capitalist system has inequities built into it. So I am in favor of taxing more heavily those individuals whom the inequities favor most . To me, this is the epitome of fairness.

Steve Forbes clever plan, if implemented as Steve Forbes wants, would make it possible for Steveboy to pay himself in options and/or other corporate ploys so as to not pay a dime in taxes. If you didn't know this, you just didn't read his plan or numerous reviews of his plan.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »
Oh, be honest my butt. You8 would not recognize honesty or fairness if they bit you on the tallywhacker.

Yea, I realize that treating everyone the same, is apparently the polar opposite of fair      ::)

I introduced it because I thought it would appeal to you.

Why would you think that?  As i already referenced if everyone were treated fairly, such as in a Flat tax system, there'd be absoluytely no need to check out the idea you broiught in.  But if you're all for this massive progressive taxing of "the rich", then perhaps they do need to be given more vote consideration.  But since I'm more for fairness, it has no appeal to me in the least

There is no concept of fairness that is going to appeal to anything close to a majority of people.

Especially when you have so many minions pushing the "greedy" angle, and how unfair it is for "the rich" to have more than "the poor".  Class warfar rhetoric is desgned specifically to make sure nothing appeals to a majority of people, when the majority is not "the rich"

Steve Forbes clever plan, if implemented as Steve Forbes wants, would make it possible for Steveboy to pay himself in options and/or other corporate ploys so as to not pay a dime in taxes. If you didn't know this, you just didn't read his plan or numerous reviews of his plan.

Even pretending for a moment that your version of his plan is accurate, who says his specifc plan is our only option?  Strangely, I advocate a National sales tax with no loopholes or "options".  Just fairness for EVERYONE

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »

So the government is in the business of selling indulgences?

That is one way of looking at it. I can't speak for Sirs, but I do believe that people who support government run social programs and higher taxes on the wealthy to pay for it all have good intentions about helping the poor. I don't fault them for saying something should be done to help those in need. I fault them for demanding that other people do the work and that other people pay for it. Nothing about that doesn't come across to me as self-centered thinking. And the notion that support for such programs stems in part from a guilty feeling of obligation to the poor is not so far fetched as Gipper (Domer changed his handle again?) and Xavier try to make it out to be.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »

Actually, it would move the payment of the taxes from him personally to his corporation. The taxes would be paid regardless.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »
I oppose a national sales tax, as well as a state sales tax on internet sales and items purchased used on ebay and craigslist and such. I oppose these because it is one way in which I use my wits to pay less to get by.

I recently bought a like-new Maytag range for $50 at a yard sale. The seller even delivered it in his truck to my door.

If I had bought the cheapest range at $265 from a retail store, I would have had to pay Florida $18.55 as well as $215 more for a decidedly inferior range, and they would have hit me up $20 to deliver it.

I am certain that we will never have either a flat tax or a national sales tax, because this would require a cancellation of the income tax, and I don't ever see that happening.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »
I oppose a national sales tax, as well as a state sales tax on internet sales and items purchased used on ebay and craigslist and such. I oppose these because it is one way in which I use my wits to pay less to get by.

Boy, doesn't that clarify things nicely.  So basically, you advocate that "the rich" pay a greater % of taxes, but you chose to pay as little as possible.  Pretty much the point ami was making about Buffett.  Should I deduce that you don't care about "the poor", that you're not paying "your fair share"??  Why shouldn't I??

I am certain that we will never have either a flat tax or a national sales tax, because this would require a cancellation of the income tax, and I don't ever see that happening.

Being "certain" that the income tax will never be switched with anything else still doesn't negate your obvious distaste for fairness for everyone.  As I said, just be honest

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
As the taxes are aranged right now , one must make above a certian threshhold amount to pay any income tax.

How many are below this threshhold?