Author Topic: A Pressure to Resolve  (Read 5318 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Pressure to Resolve
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 11:22:50 AM »

We are shooting them ,captureing them, chaseing them around , breaking up their cells , and spying on them .
The decade ofthe 90's we left the Al Quieda unmolested and neglected the needs of Afganistan , the result of that process can be repeated if we quit shooting the Al Quieda and nglect the ned f a country that they are trying to take over.

Okay, but that does not explain why the conflict in Iraq is the only possible way for us to continue shooting them, chasing them and spying on them.

The reason is that it is a big job and it would be a completed a lot sooner if we had freinds to help. Iriquis are not all fooled ,a lot of them know what Al Queda is offering them is inferior , but there is a lot of fear that Al Queda will exact retribution and enforce compliance.

The less we inspire confidence in the public of Iraq the more likely we are to find apathy where we need help.

So... the conflict in Iraq is the only way for us because we need the help of the Iraqis to hunt down Al-Qaeda? Why would that be?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »

The parameters were put in place when we invaded.  Saddam had to be taken out.  When that mission was accomplished, we could not leave Iraq the way it was.  Morally, ethically, and geopolitically that just wasn't an option.  Our choices are simple, win, and degrade AlQueada's efforts to infect the region that much more, or fail, and allow AlQeada to mutate and grow, possibly exponentially.  Those choices were put in place as soon as we entered Iraq.  Bad position or not........that's where we are

Win what? And frankly, we don't seem to have degraded Al-Qaeda's efforts to infect the region. We seem to have opened the door for them. And I have to ask, upon what do we base this assertion that without the conflict in Iraq Al-Qaeda would have grown unhindered? We seem to still be stuck on the notion that the conflict in Iraq is the only way to fight Al-Qaeda, and the only reason for this seems to be "because it is". I don't find that to be a convincing reason.

I'm confident you're aware of the "bandwagon" phenomenon.  In sports, it's when you have a team that has its core fans, that support them tru thick and thin.  Those years where a team is suddenly very successful, all of a sudden there are new fans coming out of the woodwork.  Point being there will continue to be "core extremists" who'll join AlQeada's cause, no matter the "thick or thin".  But there are plenty of fence sitters, who if believing AlQueda is actually winning the war against the Great Satan, will likely come out of the woodwork to join the "winning" team

Okay, that seems reasonable. But then, as you pointed out, we are responsible for putting ourselves in this position.

Killing terrorists 1st is a great way of preventing them from killing Americans (or any other civilian) later

Okay, but that doesn't address how our current actions affect the perception/portrayal of the U.S. as evil.

It requires open ended military action, and as Usama (or 1 of his main commanders) I believe as being on record for saying that Iraq is the key battlefield for their very existance.  Something along those lines.

I find hard to believe that Iraq is a key battlefield for Al-Qaeda's existence. Almost as hard to believe as the idea that we need an open-ended conflict in Iraq to defeat Al-Qaeda.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 11:48:41 AM »

We are shooting them ,captureing them, chaseing them around , breaking up their cells , and spying on them .
The decade ofthe 90's we left the Al Quieda unmolested and neglected the needs of Afganistan , the result of that process can be repeated if we quit shooting the Al Quieda and nglect the ned f a country that they are trying to take over.

Okay, but that does not explain why the conflict in Iraq is the only possible way for us to continue shooting them, chasing them and spying on them.

The reason is that it is a big job and it would be a completed a lot sooner if we had freinds to help. Iriquis are not all fooled ,a lot of them know what Al Queda is offering them is inferior , but there is a lot of fear that Al Queda will exact retribution and enforce compliance.

The less we inspire confidence in the public of Iraq the more likely we are to find apathy where we need help.

So... the conflict in Iraq is the only way for us because we need the help of the Iraqis to hunt down Al-Qaeda? Why would that be?

What alternative do you offer Prince?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 12:21:26 PM »

It probably is not the only way , but it seems like a good way for us to choose the battle feild rather than allowing them to choose the time and place. If we don't fight them in Iraq they will fight us when they are ready and we are not , when they have the resorce and we are snoozeing, if they choose the battlefeild they won't choose one where all of the Americans present are well armed. One of the things I don't like about a unilateral withdrawal from Iraq is that it gives controll of all choices to the Al Quieda. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 02:39:44 PM »
...frankly, we don't seem to have degraded Al-Qaeda's efforts to infect the region. We seem to have opened the door for them.

Well, as I keep saying, I'm not of the mindset that it has to be an either/or scenario, that unless we're degrading them significantly, they have to be growing substantially.  I am of the mindset that it's preferable to kill as many of them "over there", than wait until they can kill as many of us, "over here".  And I also have to disagree with you that we have't degraded them at all.  We've completely dismantled their command and control, we've significantly disrupted their financial channels, we've significantly altered their methods of communicating, and they're having to adapt to all those accomplishments we've brought about...and they are.  That's why they're still a threat, that's why they're still able to recruit, and that's why they're focusing a ton of their resources in 1 general location, than being able to systemetically operate all over the globe, even though they still try

And I have to ask, upon what do we base this assertion that without the conflict in Iraq Al-Qaeda would have grown unhindered? We seem to still be stuck on the notion that the conflict in Iraq is the only way to fight Al-Qaeda, and the only reason for this seems to be "because it is". I don't find that to be a convincing reason.

Same basis in how we left Hitler and his Nazi machine alone, expecting them to abide by international law & will.  And may I correct yoy in that the conflict in Iraq isn't the "only way" to fight AlQeada, simply that it's the current way.  A subtle yet distinct difference

I'm confident you're aware of the "bandwagon" phenomenon.....there are plenty of fence sitters, who if believing AlQeda is actually winning the war against the Great Satan, will likely come out of the woodwork to join the "winning" team

Okay, that seems reasonable. But then, as you pointed out, we are responsible for putting ourselves in this position.

As I said, the parameters were put in place when we entered.  Whether you like it or not, we are there now.  Whether it was right or wrong is irrelevent now.  As you have referenced above, it's an absolutely reasonable assumption to make of a significant boon in AlQeada's recruiting efforts, if we were to prematurely withdrawl.  Currently you keep arguing how our presence now is a recruiting effort.  Let's pretend for a moment it is.......what could make it exponentially worse is to prematurely withdrawl

Killing terrorists 1st is a great way of preventing them from killing Americans (or any other civilian) later

Okay, but that doesn't address how our current actions affect the perception/portrayal of the U.S. as evil.

Our current actions are magnified 10fold, by not just AlJazira, not just by CNN, by by our own politicians on the left, who echo any and everything bad that happens, and pin it on the U.S., thus perpetuating the "Great Satan" phenomenon.  Lemme go back to the bandwagon reference.  There are those core supporters of AlQeada who will se us as evil personified for simply existing, kinda like how they see Israel.  I'm rarely referencing those folks, outside of the need to kill them.  This recruting tangent you & I are referencing is about the middle of the roaders, the fence sitters, those who are trying to decide if what we're doing is in an effort to help bring them stability and democracy for them & their families, or as some perverted effort of ourse to reign terror on their people & religion.  Obviously it's the former, but that message consistently gets blunted when you have news stories plastered for days on a complete distortion of some soldier flushing a Koran down the toilet, and a Majority Leader claiming that "the war is Lost", adding even further discouragement to the fence sitter.   

When our actions are consistently shown/broadcast in the most negative light possible, minus all the positive actions that have been accomplished, that "perception" will continue, regardless of what we actually are doing

I find hard to believe that Iraq is a key battlefield for Al-Qaeda's existence. Almost as hard to believe as the idea that we need an open-ended conflict in Iraq to defeat Al-Qaeda.

A) I was referencing the rhetoric coming from the likes of Usama & his officers, and B) there is an end, despite the continued distortions that this is a war with no end in sight
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:36:03 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »
This struggle with violent, radical, fundamentalist Islam is, first and foremost, a cultural-political-religious-ideologgical-etc. conflict. While military expeditions and intelligence and law enforcement operations are vital to its success, the clash maintains a character more similar to eradicating racism from the South in the Civil Rights era than it does to pounding the beaches at Normandy or Iwo Jima. 

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 03:02:29 PM »
Too bad. We are much better at the latter than the former.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D