Author Topic: Dishonest - Vote NO or Filibuster  (Read 1734 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dishonest - Vote NO or Filibuster
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
Slick Elena? Kagan evades questions on abortion memo
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
06/30/10 12:50 PM EDT

Before the Senate Judiciary Committee a short time ago, Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan appeared reluctant to admit that she wrote a 1996 Clinton White House memo aimed at altering a key medical group?s opinion of whether partial birth abortion is medically necessary.  The memo, reported yesterday by National Review, has caused a stir in conservative circles because it appeared that Kagan, then a White House policy aide, put words in the medical group?s mouth in order to soften its position on the controversial procedure. But when Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch brought the subject up with Kagan, he had a hard time getting her to admit that she did, in fact, write the document in question.

?Did you write that memo?? Hatch asked.

?Senator, with respect,? Kagan began, ?I don?t think that that?s what happened ? ?

?Did you write that memo??

?I?m sorry ? the memo which is??

?The memo that caused them to go back to the language of ?medically necessary,? which was the big issue to begin with ? ?

?Yes, well, I?ve seen the document ? ?

?But did you write it??

?The document is certainly in my handwriting.?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/slick-elena-kagan-evades-questions-on-abortion-memo-97490439.html

-------------------

In my handwriting? What a liar. How about a simple yes or no? What is the meaning of is? She is dishonest. Vote her down.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Dishonest - Vote NO or Filibuster
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »
Slick Elena? Kagan evades questions on abortion memo
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
06/30/10 12:50 PM EDT

Before the Senate Judiciary Committee a short time ago, Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan appeared reluctant to admit that she wrote a 1996 Clinton White House memo aimed at altering a key medical group?s opinion of whether partial birth abortion is medically necessary.  The memo, reported yesterday by National Review, has caused a stir in conservative circles because it appeared that Kagan, then a White House policy aide, put words in the medical group?s mouth in order to soften its position on the controversial procedure. But when Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch brought the subject up with Kagan, he had a hard time getting her to admit that she did, in fact, write the document in question.

?Did you write that memo?? Hatch asked.

?Senator, with respect,? Kagan began, ?I don?t think that that?s what happened ? ?

?Did you write that memo??

?I?m sorry ? the memo which is??

?The memo that caused them to go back to the language of ?medically necessary,? which was the big issue to begin with ? ?

?Yes, well, I?ve seen the document ? ?

?But did you write it??

?The document is certainly in my handwriting.?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/slick-elena-kagan-evades-questions-on-abortion-memo-97490439.html

-------------------

In my handwriting? What a liar. How about a simple yes or no? What is the meaning of is? She is dishonest. Vote her down.

she said it's in my handwriting dumbass of course I wrote it. at least that was her tone to Hatch.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
As was referenced earlier, this process is now a complete sham, and I include the Republicans in it this way.  They at least are up front in wanting a conservative minded Justice, because they indeed look to follow Constitutional precedent, and look to the words of the Constitution as meaning something, and not open to endless re-interpretation, depending on what's PC at the moment.

Liberal Justice nominees are completely dishonest, with Sotamayor demonstrating quite clearly the need to say one thing (conservative minded during the nomination process...courts are not to make policy, courts are not to make new law), but once seated, return to the status quo of being a hard core liberal.  Funny how they can't say that during the nomination process, isnt it

Kagan will be no different.  She will say as little as she can, and frame it with all kinds of conservative inferrences of being objective, open minded, current SCOTUS rulings are precedent, but following her being seated in Stephens' chair, one can be guaranteed she'll be just as liberal, if not more so than the other 2 liberal ladies on the bench

And she will be confirmed, regardless of what the GOP does.  They have the majority, and its Obama's pick.  Our (the country's) saving grace is that come 2012, we'll likely be able to fill Ginsburg's seat with a Bork-like conservative.  Preferably female.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:20:25 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:52:45 PM »
The title Vote No or Filibuster, I admit, was just an attempt to annoy our only liberal Democrat left, XO. There is no stopping this nomination.

But where is the gang of 14? They said they would filibuster any nomination that is out of the main stream. Now that Kagan has admitted -- arrogantly as Kramer pointed out -- that she has authored the pro partial birth abortion memo, she has outed herself as out of the mainstream. 75% of Americans are against partial birth abortion. But I guess this so called gang only applied to conservative nominations.

I like Janice Rodgers Brown and Priscilla Owens as possible Supreme Court picks by Romney in 2012. I also like Miguel Estrada.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
The title Vote No or Filibuster, I admit, was just an attempt to annoy our only liberal Democrat left, XO. There is no stopping this nomination.

Agreed on both accounts

But where is the gang of 14? They said they would filibuster any nomination that is out of the main stream. Now that Kagan has admitted that she has authored the pro partial birth abortion memo, she has outed herself as out of the mainstream. 75% of Americans are against partial birth abortion. But I guess this so called gang only applied to conservative nominations.

2 for 2

I like Janice Rodgers Brown and Priscilla Owens as possible Supreme Court picks by Romney in 2012. I also like Miguel Estrada.

Excellent choices, especially with Brown.  Looking forward to her taking Ginsburg's spot
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:43:48 AM »
Liberal Justice nominees are completely dishonest, with Sotamayor demonstrating quite clearly the need to say one thing (conservative minded during the nomination process...courts are not to make policy, courts are not to make new law), but once seated, return to the status quo of being a hard core liberal.  Funny how they can't say that during the nomination process, isnt it

I particularly liked #2, and would be intrigued in how the left should castigate her or praise her, based on it

Here are the top ten quotes from Solicitor General Elana Kagan as she goes into her fourth day of Senate hearings.

1. "Like all Jews, I was probably at a Chinese restaurant." - Responding to Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who asked Kagan was she was doing on Christmas Day of last year, when a an terrorist was caught trying to blow up a plane.

2. "Lets just throw that piece of work in the trash, why don't we?" she said. "That's before I went to law school, and didn't understand much about the way judges should work." - Speaking about her thesis to the Judiciary Committee, which defended both judicial activism and bemoaned the demise of the Communist Party in the United States.

3. "The 'disaster' would be if the statement did not accurately reflect all of what ACOG thought." - Trying to wiggle out of her previous reflection that the it would be a ?disaster? if the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists could not identify any circumstances under which that partial-birth abortion "would be the only option to save the life or preserve the health of the woman."

4. "Senator, the military at all times during my deanship had full and good access." - Speaking on her decision to exclude military recruiters from availing themselves of Harvard's career services office, and instead force them to work through a student group with limited access to the student body.

5. A "loosey-goosey style of interpretation in which anything goes." - Describing her opinion of a ?living? Constitution.

6. "A vapid and hollow charade," serving "little educative function, except perhaps to reinforce lessons of cynicism that citizens often glean from government." - From 1995 Law Review article, expressing her opinions of Supreme Court hearings. Ironically, she ensured her very own hearings embodied that sentiment perfectly.

7. "Sounds like a dumb law. But I think that the question of whether it's a dumb law is different from whether the question of whether it's constitutional and I think that courts would be wrong to strike down laws that they think are senseless just because they're senseless." - Responding to a question from Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), who asked Kagan if she thought a bill that required Americans to eat three vegetables and three fruits every day would violate the Commerce Clause.

8. "My political views are generally progressive." - Responding to a question from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who brought up the fact that a former chief counsel to President Obama characterized Kagan as "largely a progressive in the mold of Obama himself."

9. "I'm not quite sure how I would characterize my politics." - Responding to Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.)

10. "I wish you wouldn't [ask].- Responding to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, (D-Minn.), who jokingly asked Kagan to give her opinion on the "the vampire versus the werewolf" in the television series Twilight. Klobuchar's teenage daughter had seen the midnight showing on the morning before the hearings.

Kagan's top 10 quotes
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:17:01 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »
Bork gave forthright answers.

It might be a long time before anybody makes that kind of mistake again.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »
Bork was not only the "Cox-sacker" he was and is a dork.

Kagen should be, and will be, accepted.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »
Way to facilitate that civil debate you so often complain is missing here, Xo       ::)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
Bork was not only the "Cox-sacker" he was and is a dork.

Kagen should be, and will be, accepted.

I thought I was the dork. wow thanks for the compliment!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
There is more than one dork on the planet.Bork is a dorkus mediocritus, while you are a dorkus miniorius irritandibus You are the sort that would never have been given a chance to be the "Cox-sacker".
I bet you don't even know what I mean by this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
There is more than one dork on the planet.Bork is a dorkus mediocritus, while you are a dorkus miniorius irritandibus You are the sort that would never have been given a chance to be the "Cox-sacker".
I bet you don't even know what I mean by this.

Because I'm a dork (in your feeble opinion), and you being a Spanish teacher (a poor one at that), surely you must understand that you are a dorkus-malorkus. Not to mention you misspelled dorkus mediocritas. Get my drift Archibald?