Author Topic: General Disdain Rant  (Read 5259 times)

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General Disdain Rant
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 12:27:02 AM »
For what it is worth, Brass.....I appreciated your rant.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 12:29:16 AM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 01:01:47 AM »
Dear Brassmask,

Don't try to "win" or even make points.

The argument attracts the hard core like yourself and myself.

So turning the extremes around happens only once in a while.

Winning is not much reason to play this game.

Rather cosider how hard it would be to have a better widow into the oppositions thinking  than this.

And how much good you do us by forceing us to work so hard to justify our opinions.

If any real diffrence is made it must be in the minds of the onloker who is not already sold on either side of an idea.

Such a person can evaluate the argument on the merits of both sides.

One of "us" is too likely to  dismiss the best part of each others persuaion.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 09:28:38 PM »

So did I actually......from an observed hypocritical standpoint
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 05:09:33 PM »

Thanks, Chicky.  That means a lot to me.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 06:08:11 PM »
The thing about this rant, thinking back on it now, is that it leads me to question my own purposes for participating in such.

Over the years, first at PIC and then 3DHS, what I've gotten from participation has changed more times than I realized.  I originally found PIC because I was so interested in what people were saying in the months after 9.11 as well as hoping to present the ideas of what has become known as the RBE.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that my first post was about it.  I think I posted the link for the Venus Project and asked people to take a look and I asked, "Why can't that work?"

Of course, I got lots and lots of "reasons".   The RBE became the only reason I was there and then I started posting my opinions and debating other subjects when I would get frustrated by the repeated discussions of how the RBE wouldn't work because robots would never be able to pick strawberries.

I was pretty naive back then.  The most assessment of how I reacted can truly be described as "stunned".  It boggled my mind that people wouldn't think that the RBE might be the way we, as a nation, might want to take the momentum of unity following 9.11 and change the world for the better.  Instead, as everyone knows, we as a nation under the "leadership" of power-mad cultists and their moron figurehead, threw that unity into the gutter, wasting it on an empirical vision of elitist, demented and naive ideologues.

PIC closed shortly after I joined due to Yahoo Clubs becoming unworkable.  (It always confused me how conservatives were so viscerally against paying for the clubs or putting up with ads since it was just normal capitalism.)  BT set this place up and the people at the new MSN club were just kind of annoying.  If memory serves, there was a lot of back room politicking about who would go with whom and so forth, but I don't really remember particulars.  BT had always at least been fair and rarely a bastard, so here is where I came.

For the most part, my self-determined role was that of provocateur.  It was natural instinct and I enjoyed it.  I would say 95% of the time, I actually believed in everything I was typing but there were a few occasions I just assumed a position in a debate because someone who was on the other side was being a dick or I simply didn't like that member.  Those who have been here a long time, may remember the infamous flame war that BSB and I had over a pic he posted of a dead soldier on a snowy field.  My initial response to that pic was sort of kneejerk and BSB had a way of personally attacking me when we'd enter into anything resembling a debate and it was initially just picking a fight with him.  Then he said something that I can't recall right now, and I just hardened on it and flamed him which I eventually wound up apologizing for.  Seriously, those were the good old days.

That's how it was for a long time, but then, as it usually does, familiarity started breeding contempt like bunnies.  As we all got to know each other like a close circle of friends, assumptions were the norm.  It seemed that the debates were more like arguments at the dinner table with relatives at Thanksgiving.  Often times, there would have to be a third party jumping in to separate two members in the middle of a feud.  There were crackdowns by the management and I knew the my bomb-throwing days were over.  I found out that I didn't mind getting in line when it was with people who, though I disagreed with politically, I usually respected and felt that I was learning with and from.

And that was what I felt my reason was for being here then.  It was a  club and it was fun most of the time and I had gotten better at writing and learned a lot about debate, politics, history, human relations, many subjects.  And that's lasted a short while.

Of late though, I've found myself more contrarian than I liked to be.  3DHS kind of annoys me at time because I think that if I post something, it will simply be a to and fro with those on the right.  My image of those on the right is that of a rock star who has passed his peak.  They are Elvis walking down the Sunset Strip in his cape, with his cane and wondering what the hell is everyone looking at.  They still think they're the number one star in the world (and are, sort of, but they have absolutely zero street cred).  And when Priscilla says to them that maybe they ought to cut their hair like that kid Ricky Nelson, they strike out at her and tell her that those kids have been emulating them for year!  And now she wants them to follow them?!?  "They're the King, baby!"

And what they don't understand is that if they don't get off the drugs/koolaid and take that second billing on that remake of A STAR IS BORN, they're going to be considered a joke forever and die an metaphorical and indignant death.

But for now, they're just convinced that they just have to make another record and all the kids will buy it and show up at the stadiums.  But that ain't so.

But I didn't start this post to curse their darkness.  I'd rather light a candle.  It may come to naught but I'd like to propose a new kind of thread.  We've tried other stuff like this before, but let's tweak it one more time.  I'd really be interested in finding answers to the issues that divide us as a nation.  I'd really like to see a thread end with a post that sums up the discussion and what ideas were put forth by whom and what the final outcome and resolution was.  At least one.  Just one post where we put forth a problem as a community and come to a compromise that would be something that we could look at with pride.

Even if it is a simple issue within the forum, it would be worthwhile to me to find myself thinking, "Wow, that's not really exactly how I would fix that but at least we can all live with it."

The reason I put this forward again is because too often than not, I find myself just thinking, "Why the fuck do I care?  They're never going to change or admit either defeat or that they would be willing to live with answer that doesn't exactly fit their ideas of how the world works."  The forum is a wonderful entertainment and informational fount.  I can't say that I would ever want to "take a break".  It was just be a change that I think could attract new people to the site and coax more lurkers to jump in.

Now, it may come to mind that some people might want to reply to this and knock it or ask snarky questions and I'm just not interested in that, in this thread now.  I can only promise to be open to discussion and compromise if I can get assurances from any who might participate.  It never works to make rules for these threads because someone eventually feels the rules are stacked against them somehow.  I will only offer my assurances and hope for the best.

Any takers?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 07:02:27 PM »
rarely a bastard

I'll have to work on that.

I like the idea.

What's the topic?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 12:24:30 AM »
The thing about this rant, thinking back on it now, is that it leads me to question my own purposes for participating in such........The reason I put this forward again is because too often than not, I find myself just thinking, "Why the fuck do I care?  They're never going to change or admit either defeat or that they would be willing to live with answer that doesn't exactly fit their ideas of how the world works."  The forum is a wonderful entertainment and informational fount.  I can't say that I would ever want to "take a break".  It was just be a change that I think could attract new people to the site and coax more lurkers to jump in.

Now, it may come to mind that some people might want to reply to this and knock it or ask snarky questions and I'm just not interested in that, in this thread now.  I can only promise to be open to discussion and compromise if I can get assurances from any who might participate.  It never works to make rules for these threads because someone eventually feels the rules are stacked against them somehow.  I will only offer my assurances and hope for the best.

Any takers?

Interesting.  It's worth a trial run   

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 02:50:03 AM »
ow, it may come to mind that some people might want to reply to this and knock it or ask snarky questions and I'm just not interested in that, in this thread now.  I can only promise to be open to discussion and compromise if I can get assurances from any who might participate.  It never works to make rules for these threads because someone eventually feels the rules are stacked against them somehow.  I will only offer my assurances and hope for the best.

Mutual respect is the only rule I want to have , if it can be acheved most other rules become redundant.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:58:06 AM by Plane »

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »
I'm willing to work on any subject to reach a consensus.

We should just throw some stuff on the table.

We could go with old standby's like abortion or gun control which I think are dying issues since the Dems have moved away from them or we could tackle something new like, what?  I don't know.

Instant Runoff voting?
Voting machines?
Publicly financed elections?  That's something I'd really like to hear others' opinions about.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 03:42:38 PM »
Interesting. I'm always in for a good topic.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 06:11:31 PM »
Interesting. I'm always in for a good topic.

_JS,

I believe that sirs and I have begun the thread following this ideal.

The thread on Publicly Financed Elections.