Author Topic: Which Book are You?  (Read 2814 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which Book are You?
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Which Book are You?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:39:31 PM »
You're The Handmaid's Tale!

??????????????????????//

I don`t want to be the handmaid`s tale
oh mannnnnn
sigh
I prefer joebob`s guide to western civilization.

gipper

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »
"David Copperfield"

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
I'm "A Theory of Justice" by John Rawls.  (Never heard of it.)

Some of those questions can't be answered.  Am I concise or long-winded?  Depends on who I'm talking to, what I'm talking about, how much time I have, how much my interlocutor wants to hear - - bottom line, sometimes one, sometimes the other.  (All right!  So I AM long-winded.) 

I was very disappointed in my book type.  When I was in high school, one of my class-mates told me he was reading a book and the guy in it was exactly like me.  So I read the book (naturally) and it became one of my all-time favourites:  The Catcher in the Rye.

But THIS fucking test says I'm "A Theory of Justice."  NO!!  I can't accept that.  The test was rigged.

Later on, my secretary told me she saw this movie and the guy in it was me, exactly.  So my wife and I went to see "Taxi Driver," and my wife was really angry about that, but I was secretly pleased.

But THIS fucking test says I'm "A Theory of Justice."  I don't believe it.

But I'll read this book anyway, if I can find the time.  Maybe I really am "A Theory of Justice."

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
You're Adventures of Huckleberry Finn!
by Mark Twain
With an affinity for floating down the river, you see things in black and white. The world is strange and new to you and the more you learn about it, the less it makes sense. You probably speak with an accent and others have a hard time understanding you and an even harder time taking you seriously. Nevertheless, your adventurous spirit is admirable. You really like straw hats.

hmmmm.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:29:08 PM »
Never heard of it, but it looked kind of interesting when I looked it up on Amazon...

You're The Giver!

by Lois Lowry

While you grew up with a sheltered childhood, you're pretty sure
everyone around you is even more sheltered. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, you were
tapped on the shoulder and transported to the real world. This made you horrified by
your prior upbringing and now you're tormented by how to reconcile these two lives.
Ultimately, the struggle comes down to that old free will issue. Choose
wisely.

Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

yellow_crane

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 02:25:04 AM »

Watership Down

yellow_crane

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 02:33:13 AM »

Watership Down    by Richard Adams

Though many think of you as a bit young, even childish, you're actually incredibly deep and complex.  You show people the need to rethink their assumptions, and confront them on everything from how they think to where they build their houses.  You might be one of the greatest people of all time.  You'd be recognized as such, if you weren't always talking about talking rabbits.

gipper

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 04:19:41 AM »
As for M.T.: "A Theory of Justice" is a seminal work in philosophy of the postmodern era, championing a complex but trenchant notion of justice as fairness in the most profound of terms. It's author, John Rawls, now recently deceased?, was a Harvard "don" of virtually impeccable credentials. With your rhetoric toned down, in my judgment at least, this pop-quiz match is revealing indeed. Mazeltov.

As for Crane: Hmmm. Makes sense to me.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 07:44:52 AM »
Watership Down
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:24:23 AM »
Hmm. Seems at least somewhat fitting.

<p>

<font face="Georgia, Georgia Ref, Book Antiqua, Garamond" size="5">
You're The Guns of August!

<font size="4">by Barbara Tuchman</font>

<font size="3">Though you're interested in war, what you really want to know is what
causes war. You're out to expose imperialism, militarism, and nationalism for what they
really are. Nevertheless, you're always living in the past and have a hard time dealing
with what's going on today. You're also far more focused on Europe than anywhere else in
the world. A fitting motto for you might be &quot;Guns do kill, but so can
diplomats.&quot;</font>

<font size="2" face="Times New Roman">

Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.</font></font></p>

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
Perceived as a revolutionary and groundbreaking person, you have changed the minds of many people. While questioning the authority around you, you've also taken a significant amount of flack. But you've had the admirable guts to persevere. There's a weird guy in the neighborhood using dubious means to protect you, but you're pretty sure it's worth it in the end. In the end, it remains unclear to you whether finches and mockingbirds get along in real life.

Weird guy in the neighborhood? I thought that was me.

And mockingbirds pretty much don't get along with anybody.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Richpo64

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »
You're The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 02:03:45 PM »
You're A Theory of Justice!
by John Rawls

In the beginning, you lived in a town. The town had many problems! Rather than moving, you decided to come up with the idea for the best town ever. Going all the way back to the original position, you created the idea for the best town ever! Lo and behold, the best town ever looked almost identical to the town you lived in. You decided to stay in the town. Now you resent people mistaking your refined thought experiments for "the wall of stupidity" in high school debate rounds.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 02:04:08 AM »
http://bluepyramid.org/ia/gatsby.htm

You're The Great Gatsby!
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Having grown up in immense wealth and privilege, the world is truly at your doorstep. Instead of reveling in this life of luxury, however, you spend most of your time mooning over a failed romance. The object of your affection is all but worthless--a frivolous liar--but it matters not to you. You can paint any image of the past you want and make it seem real. If you were a color of fishing boat light, you would be green.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

I am a book I don't even like?

I don't really think so, but it is funny. It is a lot harder than this to classify a person , or even guess what they have between their covers.

When I was in High school one of my teachers asked me to ead "the Catcher in the Rye" and since I read pretty fast I deveoted an evening to it. It seemed pretty stupid to me and I was surprised at the teachers reaction when I told him so.

I understand better now than then what the "Catcher" was getting at it was a guy who was alienated and an outsider , but not as like me as this teacher guessed. While I was and aleinated outsider in school where he knew me, but I was happy with it , at home, at church, with my freinds I was acepted and loved .   I was not likely to become popular with the urban set nor mope around all night while ice froze in my hair wondering if I would ever fit in anywhere.

I think the book that would really be me isn't on the list.