Author Topic: CNN: Corrupt News Network  (Read 2475 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CNN: Corrupt News Network
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »
"Anyone can get a PhD in computer science without being a true scientist."

Or, only a scientist BY YOUR DEFINITION?

There are many esteemed scientists who are also fundamentalists as well.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 11:36:40 PM »
<<Is it possible that to you all networks seem "conservative " because so few are left of you?>>

That's a chicken-and-egg argument if I ever heard one.  Even assuming your premise (which in fact I don't) that there are few liberals left, is it possible that there are so few liberals left because of right-wing brainwashing and control of access to the MSM?

<<Fox has some professional liberals on staff  like Greta VanSustern  Alan Combes, also even their most conservative talking heads are eager to invite guests that disagree with them.>>

I've never seen Alan Combes and know nothing about him.  Greta I've seen, and if she's a liberal (which I've so far seen no evidence of) she's a very circumspect and restrained liberal, commenting mostly in legal matters and in areas such as rights of the accused, where even so-called "conservative" legal commentators would have very similar concerns.  As for invited liberal guests, the few I've seen are shamelessly manipulated, interrupted and shouted down when they can actually stand up for their beliefs.  I've rarely if ever seen liberal heavyweights as Fox guests, usually they pick unknown wimps who are unprepared or lack the balls for the confrontation.  As far as I'm aware, Bill O'Reilly, for example, has never dared to debate Noam Chomsky or Ralph Nader, though if he has, I'm sure he used all his advantages as host to shout down, interrupt or cut off.  I"m guessing that he's never had either of them on, and never will.

So you mean that there are many to the left of you?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 11:42:35 PM »
<<So you mean that there are many to the left of you?>>
I know a few, but I wouldn't say "many" and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 11:57:53 PM »
<<So you mean that there are many to the left of you?>>
I know a few, but I wouldn't say "many" and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

It didn't even occur to you that I ment that your position was so extremely left that you had few to your left.

You took it to mean that few were left of the left.

Which might really be your worry?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »
<<It didn't even occur to you that I ment that your position was so extremely left that you had few to your left.>>

I took your words at face value - - that "many" were to the left of me.  Some are to the left of me but I wouldn't say many.  I thought you were saying that I didn't see myself as being at the far left edge of the spectrum.  Which I don't.

<<You took it to mean that few were left of the left.>>

No, I'm pretty far left, so "many to the left of me" would give the left (1) all the "lefties" on my right flank plus (2) the "many" who were on my left.  This would mean (if it were true)  that there are lots of leftists.  By agreeing with you, I would have been over-stating the numbers of the left wing (which I think are considerable) by adding in all those on MY left, when IMHO there aren't "many" in that position.

<<Which might really be your worry?>>

Really, I don't have any worries.  I think what's going to happen is pretty much predictable and inevitable and worrying about it won't do a God-damn thing to change it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 01:57:40 AM »
<<It didn't even occur to you that I ment that your position was so extremely left that you had few to your left.>>

I took your words at face value - - that "many" were to the left of me.  Some are to the left of me but I wouldn't say many.  I thought you were saying that I didn't see myself as being at the far left edge of the spectrum.  Which I don't.

<<You took it to mean that few were left of the left.>>

No, I'm pretty far left, so "many to the left of me" would give the left (1) all the "lefties" on my right flank plus (2) the "many" who were on my left.  This would mean (if it were true)  that there are lots of leftists.  By agreeing with you, I would have been over-stating the numbers of the left wing (which I think are considerable) by adding in all those on MY left, when IMHO there aren't "many" in that position.

<<Which might really be your worry?>>

Really, I don't have any worries.  I think what's going to happen is pretty much predictable and inevitable and worrying about it won't do a God-damn thing to change it.

"Is it possible that to you all networks seem "conservative " because so few are left of you?"

I didn't even intend the possible doubble meaning , just a lucky accident.

All the world must seem unreasonably rightist to whoever it is that is the leftmost person in the world.
And you are certainly closer to him than I.

To me most of the Major media seem to form a serious filter and bias of a leftist sort, Fox is pretty lonely in the center, and the far right is a very underserved audience.

From your vantage, Bill Moyers might seem like a moderate.

Heh heh heh....

But through Serindipity I discover that your real worry is that the left is dwindling , don't be so worried , the pendulum still swings , same reasons it always has swung.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 06:36:01 PM »
<<.Oh, it is perfectly fine to broadcast about how great Buddhaism is, etc. but not Christiantiy.

I guess we are looking at this from two different perspectives.  I see the airwaves as full of Christian programming at this time and after awhile it starts to drive me crazy.  I switch channels as soon as I see the Christmas programming coming.  On the car radio, I switch off immediately for Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, A Chipmunk Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bell Rock, etc. ad nauseam.  I would LOVE to see some Buddhist programming but it never seems to break through the constant deluge of 24/7 Xmas BS.

Often I wonder what would be the reaction if the Jews took over the airwaves for six weeks before a major Jewish holiday and attacked the listeners' eardrums with a constant barrage of "ya-ta-ta/oy-yoy-yoy" Jewish fiddle music no matter what station you switched to?  I bet they'd just love it, wouldn't they?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 06:45:16 PM »
<<.Oh, it is perfectly fine to broadcast about how great Buddhaism is, etc. but not Christiantiy.

I guess we are looking at this from two different perspectives.  I see the airwaves as full of Christian programming at this time and after awhile it starts to drive me crazy.  I switch channels as soon as I see the Christmas programming coming.  On the car radio, I switch off immediately for Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, A Chipmunk Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bell Rock, etc. ad nauseam.  I would LOVE to see some Buddhist programming but it never seems to break through the constant deluge of 24/7 Xmas BS.

Often I wonder what would be the reaction if the Jews took over the airwaves for six weeks before a major Jewish holiday and attacked the listeners' eardrums with a constant barrage of "ya-ta-ta/oy-yoy-yoy" Jewish fiddle music no matter what station you switched to?  I bet they'd just love it, wouldn't they?

Klesmer is not so bad, but would it pay a radio station to play it?

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »

Aren't you mixing these up? Santa Claus is not Christian programming. Neither is Rudolph. And, I know of a few Jews who celebrate the season via the Santa Claus route and exchange gifts, etc. To them it is just another secular holiday.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
There are many esteemed scientists who are also fundamentalists as well.

Suuuure there are.

If you say this, it is because you do not understand what is meant by science. Or pewrhaps you do not know what is meant by the term fundamentalist. You cannot believe that a true scientist can be a fundamentalist and know what both of these terms mean.

A scientist never declares that the explanations of the physical world are settled and not subject to change. A true scientist would never take the dimbulb statement that the world is 600 years old, or that two of every species of animal would fit on a boat and could be sustained there without easting one another for 40 days and nights,. or that there was sufficient evidence of a worldwide flood. This is because there is adequate evidence that none of these Biblical beliefs is true.

Computer science is pretty much beyond the range of the Bible: the ancient Hebrews were not fond of math and were always making up big numbers as hyperbole: seven times seventy, only 144,000 souls cou;ld ever attain the best part of  heaven, blah blah blah.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
<<Aren't you mixing these up? Santa Claus is not Christian programming. Neither is Rudolph. >>

Well it sure as hell ain't Jewish programming.  Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas carols, Christmas dinners at our neighbours' and Christmas parties, which I used to throw myself.  Complete with real aluminum office Christmas tree.   But you were complaining about the lack of Christian programming on TV and how Buddhism got a better shot at the airwaves than Christianity. And honestly, I just don't see it.  Especially in the week before Christmas, you see all these movies and documentaries about the life of Jesus, his "miraculous" birth, the nonstop Xmas pop music, etc. and I can't recall ONE about the Buddha.

<<And, I know of a few Jews who celebrate the season via the Santa Claus route and exchange gifts, etc. To them it is just another secular holiday.>>

We exchange gifts with Christians.  That's very common.  Unavoidable, actually.  I don't know anybody who exchanges Christmas gifts Jew-to-Jew, so to speak.  That would be considered seriously weird. 

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 12:06:35 AM »
Computer science is a mathematical discipline, and does not include biology or physics, the sciences to which I was referring. Anyone can get a PhD in computer science without being a true scientist.

Computer science incorporates more physics than mathematics.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)