Author Topic: Open-Minded Liberals?  (Read 16760 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Open-Minded Liberals?
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »
Ami, you're talking apples and oranges.  There's small restaurants and there's big chain restaurants.  In the big chain restaurant, the owner ISN'T there 24/7.  They use sophisticated real-time accounting software to keep an eye on things and they hire managers to keep the employees from stealing and accounting to watch the managers.

Well, the conversation started with a discussion of small restaurants.

But even in the franchise model (which most chains adhere to) the owner of a particular franchise is still local. The only time that the parent corporation opens a store under the franchise model is if they decide to move into a region and certain areas don't have local owners that want to pick up a franchise - then they'll open one using corporate resources, and sell it some time down the road. They do this to flesh out an area, so there are no gaps in a region.

It's pretty apparent that you don't understand the restaurant business. MOST restaurants are owned by a local owner, even with chains.

There is a local chain in the Charlotte area, for example - Johnny Burritos. He has two shops downtown and one up in the University area. The owner (Johnny) rotates through the two shops downtown for lunch hours, and is at the one up in the University area every night. He runs the register, buses tables, serves, whatever else needs to be done.

Bureau of Labor Statistics has the stats on it, but something like 80-90% of businesses in the US are locally owned, and this includes restaurants. The corporate masters living far away and doing nothing but raping the workers is largely a myth.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
Even here, in the Great White North, we have franchised restaurants.  Of course, they serve only whale blubber and polar bear steak, but yes, we are familiar with the franchise concept.

Your problem, Ami, is that you want to suck and blow at the same time.  You talk small restaurants where the owner is also the cook and waiter when you want to promote the concept of the owner there all the time 24/7, then you switch to chains of 1,000 restaurants where the head guy CAN'T be there 24/7, then you switch back to the franchisee when you aren't getting any traction with the guy who "owns" 1,000 restaurants.  But the trouble with the franchisee is you're just back to the guy who has a manager and a small army of wage slaves and we're back to the guy who, if he IS there 24/7 (a lot of them aren't) is there to stop the help from robbing him blind.

Back where ya started from.  Still up to yer neck in bullshit. 

Sorry I can't help ya.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
You talk small restaurants where the owner is also the cook and waiter when you want to promote the concept of the owner there all the time 24/7, then you switch to chains of 1,000 restaurants where the head guy CAN'T be there 24/7, then you switch back to the franchisee when you aren't getting any traction with the guy who "owns" 1,000 restaurants.

I didn't switch to chains - you and Knutty did.

However, as I said, most "chain" restaurants are still locally owned.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »
It was you who raised the example of a chain restaurant as one where the "owner" of all 1,000 restaurants couldn't be there 24/7 in all 1,000 of them to stop employee stealing.  At that point you weren't talking about the individual franchisee of one or two restaurants, you were talking about the head franchisor, the guy who signs the franchise on behalf of the chain with each of the individual franchise owners.  Then when THAT argument was shot down in flames, you suddenly switched back to the "owner" - - this time meaning the franchisee - - who just had ONE of the restaurants in the chain.  But that didn't help you either because this was exactly the guy I was talking about originally, the guy who has to be there 24/7 to stop the wage-slaves from stealing "his" money.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
It was you who raised the example of a chain restaurant as one where the "owner" of all 1,000 restaurants couldn't be there 24/7 in all 1,000 of them to stop employee stealing.

Perhaps you should read the original post again. I was making fun of Knutty's claim.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »
<<Perhaps you should read the original post again. I was making fun of Knutty's claim.>>

What else is new?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
They don't like Christians, so they are systematically removing Christianity from our culture.

===================================================
Can you quantify this? I ean, assuming our culture was 88.5% Christian in 1950, what percentage is it today?

If the "Liberals" are "systematically removinfg" Chrstianity, it should be easy for a genius like you to quantify it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2008, 01:58:29 PM »
What else is new?

So, when I make fun of his post where he brings up chains with thousands of restaurants, that means I brought it into the conversation?

Now I know why your "logic" doesn't seem to work out.

Rich

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
>>I would like to think there have always been benevolent management types.<<

You're dealing with someone who supports the killing of 60 million people professor. He's not rational, he's so into classware that nothing is going to make him believe anyone who is a business owner actually cares about him employees. Nor will he ever understand what it take to get a business up and running and the risks involved. he thinks business owners steal everything they get from the proletariat. He a dinosaur. A follower of a totally discredited philosophy that does nothing but stifle creativity and kill people.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »
<<So, when I make fun of his post where he brings up chains with thousands of restaurants, that means I brought it into the conversation?>>

Usually when you make fun of Knute's posts, it's because you deliberately misinterpret the point of them, but I won't go there because Knute is obviously capable of speaking for himself.  It seemed to me that you were taking advantage of a situation to (1) make fun of Knute and (2) invalidate the argument that the real reason for an owner's 24/7 presence was to stop employee theft.  Whether or not your purpose was as I perceived it, I treated it as an argument and demolished it as I demolished your other arguments on the value of the owner's "work" and the justification for his profit.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
<<You're dealing with someone who supports the killing of 60 million people professor.>>

Another fucking capitalist lie.  What a bunch of bullshit.  You swallowed the Nazi propaganda line, hook, line and sinker.  "We gotta be ruthless because THEY are much more ruthless."  What a load of crap.  The demon communists. 

<<"He's not rational, he's so into classware that nothing is going to make him believe anyone who is a business owner actually cares about him employees.>>

Right.  That's where labour unions come from, from the love that an owner has for his workers.  That's why strikes and strike breakers.  That's why union busting.  Take you head out of your fucking ass, man.  Read.  Learn.  Think.

<< Nor will he ever understand what it take to get a business up and running and the risks involved. >>

NO, I come from a family of self-started manufacturers and businessmen, as did Karl Marx.  Wouldn't have a clue.

<<he thinks business owners steal everything they get from the proletariat. >>

I'd say they make unjustified profits, which the bigger businessmen will kill to protect.  I guess you never heard of Pinkertons.

<<He a dinosaur. A follower of a totally discredited philosophy that does nothing but stifle creativity and kill people.>>

The philosophy had its problems, as does capitalism, that's for God-damn sure.  The only thing that's totally discredited is your own intellect when you make such absurd and unsupported blanket statements.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2008, 04:21:10 PM »
I would like to think there have always been benevolent management types.

When I was a manager in the Federal Government, I was a Branch Chief. I had 60 some odd people reporting to me indirectly and eight reporting to me directly. I always, and I mean always, made sure I looked after their welfare the best I could. Not because it was required of me, but because, quite simply, it was the right thing to do. Also, I noticed, productivity was higher as well. Why? Because your wmployees will tend to work harder for you not only because of position power, but personal power was well.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
>>You swallowed the Nazi propaganda line, hook, line and sinker.<<

Mike knows his propaganda well. This is was Stalin did (when he wasn't murdering his own people by the million) to people who weren't communist butchers. He called them fascists/Nazi, but only after the deal he made with the Nazis fell through. Prior to that the Soviets loved the Nazis, just like two peas in a pod.

Unlike you, I don't support a failed ideology that is abhorred around the world for it's brutality. Communist has left more blood than the Nazis ever dreamed of. Therefore you don't mean shit. You're nothing but a useful idiot for murdering monsters.

Spare me your communist bullshit.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
>>You swallowed the Nazi propaganda line, hook, line and sinker.<<

Mike knows his propaganda well. This is was Stalin did (when he wasn't murdering his own people by the million) to people who weren't communist butchers. He called them fascists/Nazi, but only after the deal he made with the Nazis fell through. Prior to that the Soviets loved the Nazis, just like two peas in a pod.

Unlike you, I don't support a failed ideology that is abhorred around the world for it's brutality. Communist has left more blood than the Nazis ever dreamed of. Therefore you don't mean shit. You're nothing but a useful idiot for murdering monsters.

Spare me your communist bullshit.

You may want to be somewhat careful here, Rich. I believe ,and I am not a moderator, you are beginning to skirt that edge of impropriety...Saying osmeone's positions/thoughts/views are invalid is one thing, but to invalidate THE PERSON? Hmmm.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
>>You may want to be somewhat careful here, Rich. I believe ,and I am not a moderator, you are beginning to skirt that edge of impropriety...Saying osmeone's positions/thoughts/views are invalid is one thing, but to invalidate THE PERSON? Hmmm.<<

I've recently been called a "dumbass fuck" by Brass and this communist bastard called me a Nazi, and nobody gives a damn, so unless you have the balls to say something about that I suggest you mind your own fucking business.