Author Topic: Open-Minded Liberals?  (Read 16764 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Open-Minded Liberals?
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »
Larger & chain restaurants do fit Tee's mold and he was right about the owner being there to keep the employee's from stealing.

ROFL

So, in a chain of 1,000 restaurants, the owner puts in an appearance every day?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »
But, wasn't it the owner who took the risk, invested the money to get started and so on?

So, MT, are you a boss in real life? How do you reconcile that role with this approach?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
But, wasn't it the owner who took the risk, invested the money to get started and so on?

MT already said, "so what? He went to bank and signed a few papers, nothing to get paid for..."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Knutey

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »
Larger & chain restaurants do fit Tee's mold and he was right about the owner being there to keep the employee's from stealing.

ROFL

Your retardation has struck again. There are two distinct points there but your retarded mind is only to grasp one and then you display your stupidity to the world as well.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
I guess if you're talking one-man restaurant where the boss does it all, he's a worker.  I've never eaten in any place like that in my life, so I have to wonder what planet you guys are living on.  Usually a restaurant is a pretty big operation, a dozen or so employees at a bare minimum, hostess, servers, cleaners, and cooks.  Bigger places, add busboys, sommeliers,and various classes of servers.  But I dunno, it's planet Earth I'm talking about, you guys obviously live (or at least dine out) somewhere else.

Professor, I'm a boss but I've had it both ways.  When I started out, I was working for somebody else.  Bottom line is, when you live in a capitalist system, you might as well live like a capitalist cuz the system won't change to accommodate you.  If I were a worker, I'd assess the situation as hopeless from a revolutionary point of view - - it was Lenin (I think) who said things have to get worse before they can become better - - in other words, the working class will put up with a lot of shit before they see the Revolution as their salvation.  The Revolution comes at a terrible price, so you have to be in terrible straits to even consider it.  So as long as things aren't too bad for the working class, they'll settle for second or third best (capitalism) instead of making the effort to bring about communism through revolution.

At the ballot box, fuhgeddabowdit.  Money is the only determinant of success in "democratic" elections, and guys with left-of-centre views - - Kucinich, Ralph Nader - -are edged out to the fringe, barely with any media coverage; given enough air-time so that "censorship" charges are refuted and never enough to make their case.  Similarly with the "experts" who appear on the MSM- - the appearance of normality is maintained by carefully selected experts appearing many times and by letting a radical onto a panel once in a blue moon, where he or she is usually outnumbered two, three or four to one, making the radical look like he's so far out of the mainstream that he must live in another universe, an impression reinforced by everything the media watcher hears 24/7 on news, panel discussions, etc.

I gotta be a realist - - I can't butt my head against the wall fighting for change because there isn't gonna be real change.  That's just the way Canada and the U.S.A. are set up, Canada a little better in some ways, teh U.S.A. a little better in others.   I don't own this country and the people who do have made it reasonably comfortable for me and my family, such that I can take advantage of the capitalist system to live.  Even the workers have it OK.   And IMHO that's due to communism also - - the ruling class decided that rather than provoke another revolution by unrestrained greed on their part, they'd better make some concessions to the working class, limit hours of work, unemployment insurance (we call it "pogey" in Canada) sick benefits, affordable insurance, "socialized" medicine.    The Russian Revolution and the success of the U.S.S.R. in the 20s and 30s scared the living shit out of the ruling class and produced a much better life for the workers than they had before. 

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2008, 10:51:39 AM »
Or, just maybe, management does some things for their employees not because they are afraid of the employees, but because it is the right thing to do. Naive, but sometimes true.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »

ROFL

Your retardation has struck again. There are two distinct points there but your retarded mind is only to grasp one and then you display your stupidity to the world as well.

Well, let's see who the retarded one is. You claimed that in chain restaurants, the owner was there to keep employees from stealing. So, obviously, he has to make an appearance to do that. I don't see how this is possible in a chain of 1,000 restaurants.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »
<<So, obviously, he has to make an appearance to do that. I don't see how this is possible in a chain of 1,000 restaurants.>>

Then I guess you never heard of delegation.

Knutey

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »

ROFL

The larger restaurants fit Tee's mold completely. The Mom/Pops are always there to keep the employee's from stealing. Get it now dumfuck? I know your mind has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but do try to have some discrimination of thought.

Well, let's see who the retarded one is. You claimed that in chain restaurants, the owner was there to keep employees from stealing. So, obviously, he has to make an appearance to do that. I don't see how this is possible in a chain of 1,000 restaurants.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2008, 11:18:11 AM »
<<Or, just maybe, management does some things for their employees not because they are afraid of the employees, but because it is the right thing to do. Naive, but sometimes true.>>

Professor, if you follow the history of labour in the U.S.A., you will find that most of the benefits and work-life improvements of the American working class were instituted after the Russian Revolution.  The New Deal being the classic example.  At a time when Communism was making inroads into the American working class and large-scale strikes (at the Ford plant and in the Appalachian coal fields) were becoming more frequent and more violent.  When a lot of artists and writers were beginning to advocate a communist system as America's escape from the Great Depression.  Sure seems like some huge coincidence to me that the idea of doing the right thing sprang into ruling class minds AFTER all these events and not before.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »
Then I guess you never heard of delegation.

Then I guess you didn't read Knutty's statement:

"he was right about the owner being there to keep the employee's from stealing"

How can he "be there" if he doesn't show up?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2008, 11:22:39 AM »
<<Don't point out facts to him, Kimba. It's pretty obvious that the owner always HAS to be a parasite, otherwise his world view just won't work.>>

Look who's talking.  Everybody knows why the owner has to be there 24/7.  Everybody but you.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:33 AM »
Ami, you're talking apples and oranges.  There's small restaurants and there's big chain restaurants.  In the big chain restaurant, the owner ISN'T there 24/7.  They use sophisticated real-time accounting software to keep an eye on things and they hire managers to keep the employees from stealing and accounting to watch the managers.

Knutey

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »
Ami, you're talking apples and oranges.  There's small restaurants and there's big chain restaurants.  In the big chain restaurant, the owner ISN'T there 24/7.  They use sophisticated real-time accounting software to keep an eye on things and they hire managers to keep the employees from stealing and accounting to watch the managers.

Michael- In this exchange it has become obvious that Ami really is a simple-minded retard. I will , therefore , no longer beat up on the poor soul.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2008, 11:44:37 AM »
<<Or, just maybe, management does some things for their employees not because they are afraid of the employees, but because it is the right thing to do. Naive, but sometimes true.>>

Professor, if you follow the history of labour in the U.S.A., you will find that most of the benefits and work-life improvements of the American working class were instituted after the Russian Revolution.  The New Deal being the classic example.  At a time when Communism was making inroads into the American working class and large-scale strikes (at the Ford plant and in the Appalachian coal fields) were becoming more frequent and more violent.  When a lot of artists and writers were beginning to advocate a communist system as America's escape from the Great Depression.  Sure seems like some huge coincidence to me that the idea of doing the right thing sprang into ruling class minds AFTER all these events and not before.

I would like to think there have always been benevolent management types.

When I was a manager in the Federal Government, I was a Branch Chief. I had 60 some odd people reporting to me indirectly and eight reporting to me directly. I always, and I mean always, made sure I looked after their welfare the best I could. Not because it was required of me, but because, quite simply, it was the right thing to do. Also, I noticed, productivity was higher as well. Why? Because your wmployees will tend to work harder for you not only because of position power, but personal power was well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:18:44 PM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D