Author Topic: Bonus gun nut for July attacks Louisiana theater  (Read 5249 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bonus gun nut for July attacks Louisiana theater
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:16 PM »
Compare the US to the EU, as I said.

More guns in the US is one of the reasons more people get shot in the US.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »
And more guns in the hands of law abiding, means more lives saved using a gun than those taken, here in the USA
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 10:06:09 PM »
Compare the US to the EU, as I said.

More guns in the US is one of the reasons more people get shot in the US.
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Crime_statistics

That does not make it an easy comparison. This site has a few interesting tables , but the text warns repeatedly that the accuracy is dependent on the different reporting that the different countries do.

In general the US is better off than South America, Africa and Asia, Europe is better off than we are.

I doubt that the prevalence of guns is an important factor.

South America has much less guns , but per capata much more likely hood for getting shot.

Europe looks better in part because they are not fully at war right now, but they are due, how many fifty year periods have passed Europe without major war?

If you are willing to include the wars , Europe is the worst ,hands down.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »
We are not talking about countries at war. This is about laws for peaceful countries that are not at war.
I am NOT willing to include wars, because this is about gun registration and keeping guns out of the hands of crazy civilians.

More guns in circulation means more guns are more available. More guns available means more guns available to crazy people and demented gun nuts.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 11:11:18 PM »
And more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens means more lives saved than taken by a gun.  At least in this country
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 11:22:35 PM »
We are not talking about countries at war. This is about laws for peaceful countries that are not at war.
I am NOT willing to include wars, because this is about gun registration and keeping guns out of the hands of crazy civilians.

More guns in circulation means more guns are more available. More guns available means more guns available to crazy people and demented gun nuts.

There is a reason I want to include war.

I think a well armed population is an impediment to a conqueror.

European habits may make the peace more peaceful and also make the wars more frequent.

It isn't two situations , if you step back and look at it all.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »

There is a reason I want to include war.

I think a well armed population is an impediment to a conqueror.

European habits may make the peace more peaceful and also make the wars more frequent.

It isn't two situations , if you step back and look at it all.

Look at Switzerland, and why Hitler left them alone, and why they have managed to remain neutral. Hint: it has something to do with 'a well armed militia' and having to fight virtually every armed Swiss citizen to invade the country. How are their statistics?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Excellent insight, H

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 04:14:49 PM »
Hitler chose not to invade Switzerland for several reasons.
Switzerland is small and mountainous, and of course the Swiss Army being well trained and armed as well was a factor. But Switzerland also provided a way to launder money and artworks. Hitler had declared modern art decadent, but it was also valuable, and rather than destroy it, it was sold through Swiss dealers.

The gun violence rate in the US is 3.6  greater than the rate in Switzerland. The Swiss tend to focus more on rifles and shotguns, while Americans concentrate more on pistols.
Guns are registered in Switzerland, but not in the US.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »
And you have yet to demonstrate how registering a firearm prevents even one person from being shot

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »
Guns are registered in Switzerland, but not in the US.

They're not?!?!?!

There are laws on the books requiring them to be registered. In fact, last I checked, there are over 20,000 gun laws on the books. What we need is not more useless gun laws, but adequate enforcement of the ones we have.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 03:35:19 PM »
And you have yet to demonstrate how registering a firearm prevents even one person from being shot

It doesn't, not when anyone can go out on the streets with cash in hand and buy an illegal firearm in 20 minutes or less. And that is the point, unless you enforce the laws to keep illegal firearms off the street, you can't prevent people from getting their hands on them.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 03:39:13 PM »
By registered, I mean a national gun registry.

A cop can type in an auto license plate number  YUW2T4 or whatever from any state and find out to whom the car is registered as fast as you can locate products on the Internet.  When I go through customs, the immigration guy swipes my passport and my picture, address and all sorts of info come up automatically.

This is not possible with the serial numbers of guns. I believe that in Switzerland it is.
The Swiss are generally very peaceful people. They have not fought a war since way before 1800. Despite speaking four languages and practicing several religions, they do not have the social conflicts that we have in the US. Nor do they have the grinding poverty that exists in the US, both urban and rural. The Swiss generally do not regard their police as enemies, nor do the police treat the citizens as we have seen lately in the US.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »
By registered, I mean a national gun registry.

A cop can type in an auto license plate number  YUW2T4 or whatever from any state and find out to whom the car is registered as fast as you can locate products on the Internet.  When I go through customs, the immigration guy swipes my passport and my picture, address and all sorts of info come up automatically.

This is not possible with the serial numbers of guns. I believe that in Switzerland it is.
The Swiss are generally very peaceful people. They have not fought a war since way before 1800. Despite speaking four languages and practicing several religions, they do not have the social conflicts that we have in the US. Nor do they have the grinding poverty that exists in the US, both urban and rural. The Swiss generally do not regard their police as enemies, nor do the police treat the citizens as we have seen lately in the US.

Wrong. A database search of any handgun serial number will turn up the last legal owner. However, if the handgun was stolen, or sold, traded or given away in a private transaction, or inherited, or changed possession in any of a number of other ways, finding the last legal owner is only the first step in tracing it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 04:31:38 PM »

It doesn't, not when anyone can go out on the streets with cash in hand and buy an illegal firearm in 20 minutes or less. And that is the point, unless you enforce the laws to keep illegal firearms off the street, you can't prevent people from getting their hands on them.

BINGO.  Which begs the question, why does the left push this Federalized goal, any and every time a publisized shooting takes places.....as if that's the panacea to keeping people from getting murdered