Author Topic: Will the Media Cover THIS Story?  (Read 1150 times)

Richpo64

Will the Media Cover THIS Story?
« on: September 26, 2007, 01:01:36 PM »
Will the Media Cover THIS Story?
By Kristen Fyfe
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

On September 30, a Sunday ? the Lord?s Day in the Christian church ? San Francisco will host the Folsom Street Fair, perhaps the most hedonistic event held in public in America. The fair is the San Francisco homosexual community?s annual celebration of promiscuity, sadomasochism and debauchery. The ad for this year?s fair mocks Da Vinci?s The Last Supper, with a half-naked beefcake Christ and disciples bedecked in all manner of leather and chains. The bread and wine of The Last Supper are replaced with sex toys. Many Christian groups have expressed outrage.

Will the national media cover the story?

When it comes to the media treatment of Christian issues, you never know what you?ll get. For instance, in the October 1 issue of Newsweek, Lisa Miller?s ?Beliefwatch? column tsk-tsks over the outrage felt by Christians over comedienne Kathy Griffin saying ?Suck it, Jesus? at the Creative Emmy Awards. The outcry was loud enough that E! deleted Griffin?s remarks during their broadcast of the awards show. Miller?s sarcastic tone in reporting the story reveals her complete lack of regard for the offense felt by followers of Jesus.

Twenty-two pages later in the same issue of Newsweek is a two-page spread on how Democrats are wooing evangelical Christians. This is a story the media like. Three pictures accompany the article. One is of Sen. Barack Obama praying with Pastor Rick Warren, another is of Hillary Clinton in front of the word ?Faith.? The third is of a very disappointed-looking James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, with the caption ?Dobson isn?t supporting Thompson.? The article paints a very hopeful picture of the Democrats? chances (the subhead to the story says ?their efforts may have a prayer?) of winning the younger evangelical vote, because ?many younger evangelicals are worried about issues beyond the traditional struggles over abortion, school prayer and gay marriage.?

There it is, the G word. The mainstream media are, shall we say, selective in their coverage of homosexuality as well. They collectively went nuts when Senator Larry Craig?s solicitation of ?gay? sex in a Minneapolis airport bathroom became public knowledge. However, they typically turn a blind eye to nudity and sexual acts occurring in broad daylight during ?pride? parades. Public nudity is commonplace, as is sadomasochism, at the Folsom Street Fair. The fair?s Web site proudly promotes pictures of past events to prove the point.

According to Concerned Women for America, ?The most unimaginable and vile acts of debauchery are commonplace during the fair. Senator Larry Craig was arrested and driven out of the Senate for allegedly soliciting public ?gay? sex, yet during this event the city of San Francisco suspends the law and allows ?gay? men and women to parade the streets fully nude, many having sex ? even group orgies ? in broad daylight, while taxpayer-funded police officers look on and do absolutely nothing.?

And so we ask again: Will the mainstream media cover the Folsom Street Fair?

For the media, it must be like being caught between a rock and a hard place. The media love the Democrats. The Democrats are courting evangelicals as well as gays. The Folsom Street Fair pits one against the other ? in a brazen and profane ad ? for a taxpayer-supported event that flouts just about every moral precept upon which this country was built. Will the media cover THIS story?

Kristen Fyfe is senior writer at the Culture and Media Institute, a division of the Media Research Center.
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/KristenFyfe/2007/09/26/will_the_media_cover_this_story

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Will the Media Cover THIS Story?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:06:02 PM »
LOL

That's hilarious.

The media will blitz the crap out of this in the coming days because it is a pointless nonsenical bullshit story that will get the get all the little xians in a twist and the congress will waste several days on it debating whether or not to pass a resolution to condemn it which they will while several more American soldiers and hundreds more Iraqis get killed.

Then the congress critters will waste several MORE days debating whether or not they should have wasted all that time condemning the ad.

And you guys will be hooting all the time.  Hootie, hoot, hoot.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:10:34 PM »
Quote from: Kristen Fyfe

Why should they?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
Quote from: Kristen Fyfe

Why should they?

Yeah, that was what I thought.

Do I really want to see this on the news every night?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »
According to Concerned Women for America, ?The most unimaginable and vile acts of debauchery are commonplace during the fair. Senator Larry Craig was arrested and driven out of the Senate for allegedly soliciting public ?gay? sex, yet during this event the city of San Francisco suspends the law and allows ?gay? men and women to parade the streets fully nude, many having sex ? even group orgies ? in broad daylight, while taxpayer-funded police officers look on and do absolutely nothing.?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who are the Concerned Women for America? Is this a group like Christians4Less Government, which has two members, one of whom is virtual?

One can only wonder: are those hetero wedding bells we are hearing for for Concerned Women for America and Christians4LessGovernment?

You make this sound like your tax dollars will be paying for these people to have public sex and prance and yea, even MINCE in the streets with pride.

If thy eye offends thee, you need not pluck it out. Just wear very dark glasses, or better still, stay away from this festival.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:00:12 PM »

Who are the Concerned Women for America?

I don't know how many members they have, but Concerned Women for America is, as I recall, a Christian group for women's issues. The group was started as a sort of Christian answer to N.O.W. Why they would be an authority on the event in San Francisco I have no idea.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:47:17 PM »
as a person who actually been to one.
it is a true test of ones sexuality.
I am without a doubt straight
the things I saw there completely prove this.
P.S. there is no real sex going on there
it`s san francisco
it`s too cold .
let have abit of reality here
also after 15min. of kinkiness
it gets real boring super fast
concerned women of america is the best thing to happen to the fair.
because I truely mean it
it`s very boring.
all that leather on out of shape people is not that much fun.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »
There are very few women I would actually like to see in leather gear and no men at all.

Here in Florida, we have Key West, which is a bit like San Francisco East in miniature.

There is the King Mango Strut, which is a satirical parade of people who were not allowed to join the Orange Bowl Parade.

The Orange Bowl Parade ceased to be when they couldn't get funds for it.

But the Strut lives on, the Saturday in December. It is actually fun to watch, but there is no coverage of it on TV.

Hardly anything is more boring than the TV coverage of a parade, with two talking heads telling us about how the East Podunk Band made it to the parade and how many crysanthemums it took to stuff this or that float. Yecch./
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 01:10:48 AM »
I supposethat the offensive ad is not accidental , coverage is what all that nudeity was made for.

So it was a smart thing to do, but when something ofensive in return is offered is the right to complain about it lost?