Author Topic: Muslim women aim to dispel rumors - the Difference Between Culture & Religion  (Read 1113 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Posted on Mon, Oct. 08, 2007
Muslim women aim to dispel rumors
By RICHARD DYMOND
rdymond@bradenton.com

With the venerated, month-long Islamic holiday of Ramadan set to conclude Friday a group of local Muslim women are hoping to put some things right with the world.

Sarah Zaouzal of Sarasota is one of the leaders of the new Women's Committee at the Islamic Society of Sarasota & Bradenton, whose stated goal is, among others, to dispel myths about women in Islam.

Muslim women are not restricted in their activities by men, are allowed to speak their minds on any subject and can achieve greatness equal to that of a man, Zaouzal said.

"It can be frustrating that people think your husband forces you to cover your hair or that you are not allowed to leave your home," Zaouzal said, speaking of some of the Muslim cultural dress codes that ensure modesty, but are often misinterpreted in the West. "It is our duty as Muslim women to dispel the myths. Islam ensures women's equality. We hope people can understand that there is a big difference between culture and religion. Some people may do things in the name of Islam, that is really in the name of culture."

Ruta Jouniari, a member of the new group, said television is partially to blame for the misunderstandings.

"The only view many Westerners have is that of a black-clad, covered woman who seemingly has no rights," Jouniari said. "Our group is needed to procure the truth about women Muslims. They are educated, not submissive to anyone, except God, and that they are as human as anyone else."

Nazeela Rahman-Shaw, a member of the fledgling group, laughs when she hears stories of Westerners believing Muslim women are restricted.

"I was born into a Muslim family and was never made to feel that there was any position I couldn't attain," she said. "Even though I had a brother, my father taught me at an extremely early age how to manage the finances of the family business in which my mother was a partner. Reach for the stars is what they encouraged me to do."

"The rights bestowed upon women at the advent of Islam by the Holy Prophet had never been enjoyed by that gender before in history," Rahman-Shaw added. "It should be noted that the head of the Islamic Society of North America is a woman. We feel it is imperative that this perception be corrected."

Rahman-Shaw also points out that the fabric of Muslim society is woven by women, by virtue of the fact that they mold the minds of their children and groom them to take a place in society.

Jouniari said the group will try to build the self-esteem of young Muslim women.

"They look different from their peers in the West by sheer dress," Jouniari said. "We want to empower these young girls and to let them know a scarf on the head does not mean they cannot run for public office, be a neurosurgeon, or run a successful business. We also want to let others know we intend to promote peace among all women and society."

The bond of sisterhood is strong in Islam, Jouniari said.

"Women formed groups when they first came to Islam and have had groups since those days," Jouniari said. "That bond was the first tie to a sisterhood to last the centuries. Historically, one of the most famous women in Islam, and one of the closest people to the Prophet Muhammed, was Um Sulamah. She was noted for her courage and bravery."

During the battle of Uhud, it is said Um Salamah carried a dagger in the folds of her dress, gave water to and tended the wounded, and defended the Prophet when the tide of battle was turning against him, Jouniari said.

The group hopes that women will consider the Islamic Society a stepping stone to life success.

The women plan to host a fashion show and lunches to raise money for a sisters relief fund, which would help Islamic and non-Islamic women achieve goals that many Westerns right now may believe are outside the grasp of women.

"If a woman comes to us and says, 'I want to go back to school,' we are hoping to say, 'Here is some money. Get yourself some classes at Manatee Community College,' " Zaouzal said.

http://www.bradenton.com/local/story/165898.html

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
What? What? Religion and culture not the same? Say it ain't so! How can we keep condemning Muslims for their strictly Muslim culture if religion and culture are not the same? I suppose next you're going to tell me can all get along, coexist peacefully even! And by the way, don't you know you're not supposed to post this sort of thing? I mean, how can we maintain that Muslims don't publicly denounce fundamentalist, radical Islam when you post things like this story about Muslim women standing up for their rights? All this promoting understanding, sheesh, Henny, what has gotten into you?

(I hope the sarcasm of that is obvious to everyone.)
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I believe this is true
but the term they are their own enemy comes to mind.
I have sunni friend who complain we disrerspect women by allowing them to work.
I don`t recall folks from islamic nations complaining about the treatment for women in afghanistan under the taliban.
my question is since iran is one of the technologically advance islamic nations
are thier any women of note there right now
scientist,doctors ,etc.
true america has a female islamic leader
but is she respected outside of the U.S.?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I don`t recall folks from islamic nations complaining about the treatment for women in afghanistan under the taliban.

They most certainly did. Perhaps it wasn't broadcast here, but they did.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Of course it wasn't broadcast here. We were too busy with important stuff like the latest Brittney Spears or Paris Hilton news.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--