Author Topic: Defeat Tehran not with bombs but with culture  (Read 43455 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Defeat Tehran not with bombs but with culture
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:48 PM »
I watch people talk about how the terrorists, the Islamic fundamentalists are throwing around all this clout about what Islam is supposed to be, and then these same people talk about Islam as if it is defined wholly and completely by the terrorists and fundamentalists. Here we are in the West saying "Islam is the problem" and the Islamic fundamentalists are saying "They want to attack Islam." And meanwhile no one pays attention to the moderate/liberal Muslims, who are virtually jumping up and down, waving their hands, and shouting loudly "Hello! Here we are! Hello! We're over here!" And somehow in all of this, you're accusing me of being unreasonable and in denial apparently because I'm bothering to notice and to say something about the moderate/liberal Muslims.

Not that long ago here at the Saloon, there was a really ridiculous conversation centered around the notion that mentioning Christian nationalism was some sort of insidious plot to paint Christianity as the foundation of Nazism. And I was lambasted for not understanding why some people might think of it that way. Now here we are talking about Islam as if the only kind of Islam is the one as defined by terrorist Muslim extremists. Yes, there are moderates, but, I'm assured, they're apparently not really Muslims or that paying attention to them is not worth the effort. Seems to me they are precisely the people to whom we should be paying attention.

If you want to see a fundamental change in the Islamic world that results in less extreme, less intolerant beliefs, then ignoring the moderate Muslims seems bass ackwards. If we want to convince people to ignore the folks saying "They want to attack Islam", seems to me doing so with threats of bombings and invasions is not really the best course of action. On the other hand, if the only goal is to point at Islam and make blanket comments about Islam being a threat to the Western world, then yeah, I guess continued saber rattling and military action is the way to go.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Maccus Germanis

« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »
Universe Prince,

No, Really? There's even a nominal muslim that by virtue of his admissions

"...that the Qur'an has verses that are polemic, but my view is that the Qur'an in fact respects the Jews (which explains Moses being so often mentioned)...but that it is the oral traditions of Islam (the hadith) that demonizes the Jews. For many Muslims, this is a hard pill to swallow because for almost 12 centuries, they have been taught that acceptance of oral traditions are a creedal element of Islam." (emphasis added)
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=134C7CDA-8B3A-44A2-AC6C-792B0B25F0EE

"... that 95% of contemporary Muslims are exposed to anti-Semitic teachings. My answer, which the Montreal Gazette refused to print, was that every Muslim had to answer a simple question. Honestly. What is the interpretation of the final two verses of the first chapter of the Quran?  "Guide us to the straight path--the path of those upon whom you have bestowed your bounty, not those who have incurred your wrath, nor those who are astray." (emphasis added)
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=134C7CDA-8B3A-44A2-AC6C-792B0B25F0EE

"Throughout the world, Muslim intellectuals are punished for daring to criticize. Muhammad Said al-Ashmawy in Egypt is under house arrest for his own protection; Abdel Karim Soroush is beaten in Iran for daring to raise the voice of inquiry, Mahmoud Taha is killed in Sudan. Scholars Rifat Hassan, Fatima Mernissi, Abdallah an-Na'im, Mohammed Arkoun and Amina Wadud are all vilified by the imams for asking Muslims to use their intellects."
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=88AF0BAE-5729-447F-A61D-1BEF2D2C4EF6

has caused you to think that everything will be fine? Such are quotes from the Khaleel Mohamed, which you've obviously never actually read. He, as the "odd apostate," was only grist for your fantasy mill.

Maccus Germanis

« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2008, 12:39:19 AM »
"...Islam does not adhere to the Golden Rule. The closest that Islam comes to this principle is a hadith that says:

"None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself." [Number 13 of Imam "Al-Nawawi's Forty Hadiths."]

The same hadith is reported by Bukhari 1.2.12

"The Prophet said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself."

This brotherhood however does not extend to everyone. Quran (9:23) states that the believers should not take for friends and protectors (awlia) their fathers and brothers if they love Infidelity above Islam. In fact there are many verses that tell the Muslims to kill the unbelievers and be harsh with them. A clear example that Islam is not based on the Golden Rule is the verse (48:29) It says: "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other.?

This is the perfect definition of fascism. There are many other verses that show the brotherhood in Islam is not universal. The rest of mankind have no rights and should not be treated in the same way that Muslims are to be treated. The entire Quran is the breach of the Golden Rule. Quran tells Muslims to slay the unbelievers wherever they find them (2:191), do not befriend them (3:28), fight them and show them harshness (9:123), and smite their heads (47:4). "

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/005959.php

Maccus Germanis

« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2008, 12:45:13 AM »
One may not want to call Luther apostate for departing from the Catholic Church, but one shouldn't call him Catholic. If the smug commenters here would actually read, or pay attention to the plight of, reform minded muslims that are often quoted with the suggestion that same represent large majorities, then one should notice that these reformers, however well intentioned, do not, and often enough will say so, represent majorities of nominal muslims.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2008, 02:49:30 AM »

No, Really? There's even a nominal muslim that by virtue of his admissions [...] has caused you to think that everything will be fine?

Is that what I said? Seriously, is that what I said? If you're going to chastise me for not reading something, then by gum, I'd really appreciate it if you stuck to what I said rather than trying to ascribe comments to me I did not say. If you want to try to pin this down to details, then stick to the details.

Such are quotes from the Khaleel Mohamed, which you've obviously never actually read. He, as the "odd apostate," was only grist for your fantasy mill.

I don't recall calling him apostate. I believe I was arguing that he was not.

But let's look at some quotes from your links.

In Montreal, I was accused of being racist when I said that 95% of contemporary Muslims are exposed to anti-Semitic teachings. My answer, which the Montreal Gazette refused to print, was that every Muslim had to answer a simple question. Honestly. What is the interpretation of the final two verses of the first chapter of the Quran?  "Guide us to the straight path--the path of those upon whom you have bestowed your bounty, not those who have incurred your wrath, nor those who are astray."

This verse has nothing about Jews or Christians...yet, almost every person learns that those who have incurred divine wrath are the Jews, and those who are astray are Christians. What is more problematic is that the average person learns this chapter and its interpretation between the ages of 5-8. And we know that things learned at this stage of life become ingrained, almost to the point of being in one's DNA, if I may put it that way.

Notice that Khaleel Mohammed said what is being taught about that particular verse is not found in the verse itself. It is an extra-scriptural teaching. Now what have I been arguing? I have been arguing that differing theological opinions do and can exist within Islam. So is it the verse that is inherently opposed to Western culture or is it the extra-scriptural teaching about the verse? Once upon a time, some people taught that enslavement of dark-skinned people was supported by scripture. As I recall, it had something to do with one of the sons of Noah getting cursed and going to live in Africa or something like that. None of this support of slavery was actually in scripture. It was something extra-scriptural. And oddly enough, that teaching is no longer taught. So tell me, is Christianity inherently incompatible with modern Western culture, or are there alternate views of scripture?

And herein lies the problem of cultural identity. There is no one Islam. The Guyanese Muslim is different from the Bosnian Muslim who is different from the Pakistani Muslim who is different from the Saudi Muslim etc. To talk about Canadian culture as being inherently un-Islamic is to create an imagined geography that, at least, creates disharmony and, at worst, threatens subversion.      

What? There is no one Islam? Wow. Gee, I wish I'd said something like th... oh wait, I did. I believe my exact words were, "differing theological opinions do and can exist within Islam just as differing theological positions exist within Christianity."

And with that in mind, I go to this passage:

The reformation will come from Muslims based in the West, and the voices of women will be loud and pivotal in that reformation. Let us look at some names that are as yet unknown to many, but names that have done so much for changing Islamic thought...names of people who may disagree vehemently with each other, but names of people who, for all their difference have done much to purge Islam of the male chauvinism that has afflicted it for centuries: Fatima Mernissi, Azizah al Hibri, Amina Wadud Muhsin, Irshad Manji, Rifat Hasan, Asma Jahangir. Not that all reform minded people are women: there is Khalid Abou al Fadl, Abdallah al-Naim, Sa'd al din Ibrahim etc. Note that they are, with one exception, all now in the West, and that they have all had a western education.       

"The reformation will come from Muslims based in the West." Yep. Sounds about right to me. Seems pretty much in line with what I've been saying. He even mentioned Irshad Manji, someone I've mentioned several times in my arguments. As best I can tell, Khaleel Mohammed is far closer to my arguments than he is to yours. So tell me, my Scandinavian friend, is Khaleel Mohammed also fantasizing? And are you sure that you have actually read what he had to say?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2008, 02:54:18 AM »

"The Prophet said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself."

This brotherhood however does not extend to everyone.

In all of Islam, there is no other interpretation of this?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2008, 03:08:36 AM »

One may not want to call Luther apostate for departing from the Catholic Church, but one shouldn't call him Catholic.

Why not? Does disagreement with the Pope make one not Catholic? Seems to me there are a lot of Catholic priests in the U.S. who are then no longer Catholic.

If the smug commenters here would actually read, or pay attention to the plight of, reform minded muslims that are often quoted with the suggestion that same represent large majorities, then one should notice that these reformers, however well intentioned, do not, and often enough will say so, represent majorities of nominal muslims.

I don't know what smug commenters those would be. I don't recall anyone saying these people represented a majority of Muslims. I have, however, suggested that reform of Islam will come from people like these Muslim reformers, and that rather than seek to dismiss them as irrelevant, we should be turning to them, promoting them and helping them gain ground. Repeatedly I am assured in various forms that this is not possible and not practical, and that I'm some how in denial for paying any attention to these reform minded Muslims. Which is kinda like suggesting that the abolitionists are the wrong people to talk to about slavery, or that paying attention to a Baptist minister from Alabama talking about civil rights is some sort of denial.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:15:38 AM by Universe Prince »

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2008, 03:21:02 AM »

One may not want to call Luther apostate for departing from the Catholic Church, but one shouldn't call him Catholic.

Why not? Does disagreement with the Pope make one not Catholic? Seems to me there are a lot of Catholic priests in the U.S. who are then no longer Catholic.

And I might add, Jesus preached a departure from the Jewish teachings of His time. He was definitely in a distinct minority. Yet, he was still a Jew. And he managed to have a considerable effect. I'm not saying these moderate Muslims are like Jesus, but seems to me, to count them out because they are a relative few and because they are not in line with strict, traditional and fundamentalist Islamic teaching is not a good idea.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2008, 08:55:29 AM »
What most people respect the most about any religion seems to be the ritual. You go to church, temple, mosque every week and see your fellows and they see you and go through the various rituals and this brings order and a sense of stability to your life. What the preacher, imam, rabbi says is pretty much secondary or even ignored, and you leave feeling that you have done the right thing that your parents taught you to do.

It is pretty hard to include violence in all this, because violence, by its very nature, is destabilizing.

So the worst thing the average believer might probably do is donate to a cause that promotes violence or hatred of others.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »
Actually, I preferred the first BSG better. A show developed in an earlier, more innocent, age. Less edgey. Let's attack them with our culture slowly with the less-edgey stuff and then wollup them later with the really edgey stuff.

Boil a frog and all that...
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2008, 12:50:15 PM »

Actually, I preferred the first BSG better. A show developed in an earlier, more innocent, age. Less edgey. Let's attack them with our culture slowly with the less-edgey stuff and then wollup them later with the really edgey stuff.

Boil a frog and all that...

Hah! I see your point, but I consider the original BSG to be so cheesy as to be embarrassing. I'm not saying it isn't fun in its own way, but it's laughable. At least, it is to me. But you might be right. Start with the weaker stuff and move to the more challenging stuff later.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
What? There is no one Islam? Wow. Gee, I wish I'd said something like th... oh wait, I did. I believe my exact words were, "differing theological opinions do and can exist within Islam just as differing theological positions exist within Christianity."

Well said Prince.

It is well known that Islam has many cultural variants. In Yemen, for example, it is common for the bride's father to give a dowry to the groom's father. This is a local custom that is absolutely opposed to Islamic teaching where the dowry is given to the bride's family. It is a small example, but points to how even a very local custom can be in complete contradiction to the literal interpretation of the Koran or Hadith.

The highland Muslims of Eritrea dress in all white - again a local custom done in religious devotion. There is nothing instructing them to do so. It is their own unique interpretation.

It should be said that the accepted Hadith are not agreed upon by all Muslims. Islamic jurists vary on interpretation across the wide swath of Islam. Colonel Qadaffi once even suggested that no Hadith should be accepted and only the Koran should speak for Islam (though it should be noted that he was widely criticized for that statement).

Me included. The Catholic Church represents the largest single group of Christians on the Earth. Yet, even within Catholicism there is a wide variance of thought. We don't even use the same rite in every Catholic Church for Mass.   
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Maccus Germanis

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »
Is that what I said? Seriously, is that what I said? If you're going to chastise me for not reading something, then by gum, I'd really appreciate it if you stuck to what I said rather than trying to ascribe comments to me I did not say. If you want to try to pin this down to details, then stick to the details.
You have denied that islam has had anything to do with riots in France, even after shown that the documented reactions of nominal muslims to quell the unrest did attempt to invoke islam. That clearly shows that muslims were involved in the riots. Other sources did show that those riotous muslims had nothing but disdain for their adoptive country, and did express that disdain in terms of their own religion. The "moderates" that attempted to reform islam on the streets of France are to be commended, but their personal courage does not disprove and negate 1400 years of tradition.

You have Continually said that there is no fundamental conflict between islam and Western values, even though the moderate you quoted does reveal his kind to be in conflict with what "95% of contemporary Muslims are exposed to" and "almost 12 centuries" of tradition.

I did in fact interpret that to mean that you thought everything would be fine. Is my interpretation to be discounted? By what criteria?

Consensus?
"Moderate" (read munafiq) muslims are no broad consensus, but you consider their interpretation to be representative of islam. I claim the same right.

Literalism?
The Munafiq must disregard all of the hadith and large portions of the koran to make their innovation. I claim the same right.

You see, you did in fact say just that.

I don't recall calling him apostate. I believe I was arguing that he was not.
It wasn't even my intention to call him apostate, as the aside that I included in that sentence would seem to suggest. I was making reference to his being like the "odd apostate," whose death XO is entirely apathetic about. I will call him munafiq. He claims to submit to something that he is in the process of remaking to his own desires.

Notice that Khaleel Mohammed said what is being taught about that particular verse is not found in the verse itself. It is an extra-scriptural teaching.
An extra scriptual teaching that has been an accepted part of islam for near "12 centuries."

Now what have I been arguing? I have been arguing that differing theological opinions do and can exist within Islam.
I don't deny that Khaleel Mohamed does call himself a muslim, and that simultaneously he believes in Western values. I do deny that he is a reformer. He is instead an innovator, whose innovations are held in relative low esteem among those "95% of modern muslims" that are exposed to anti-Semitic teachings.

So is it the verse that is inherently opposed to Western culture or is it the extra-scriptural teaching about the verse?
Most clearly the verse does not speak only of Jews and Christians, but of nominal muslims that attempt, for admittedly noble reasons, to subvert islam. Would you or Khaleel M. like to show how Jews, Christians, and Munafiq have not gone astray? When elsewhere in the koran, such people are promised new skins to be burned again, and again, I do interpret that as wrath, and you?

Once upon a time, some people taught that enslavement of dark-skinned people was supported by scripture. As I recall, it had something to do with one of the sons of Noah getting cursed and going to live in Africa or something like that. None of this support of slavery was actually in scripture. It was something extra-scriptural. And oddly enough, that teaching is no longer taught. So tell me, is Christianity inherently incompatible with modern Western culture, or are there alternate views of scripture?
Unfortunately the misused curse does exist. It can be misused again. That is the ever present danger that people will read into text that which they'd rather believe. You and K. Mohamed are the ones reading into islamic text and tradition that which we, all three, would rather believe. 

There may be differing opinions, but islam did predate your new Mo'. It did not predate the old mo'. It is defined by the old mo', his koran, and the traditions faithfully collected after his death.

"The reformation will come from Muslims based in the West." Yep. Sounds about right to me. Seems pretty much in line with what I've been saying. He even mentioned Irshad Manji, someone I've mentioned several times in my arguments. As best I can tell, Khaleel Mohammed is far closer to my arguments than he is to yours. So tell me, my Scandinavian friend, is Khaleel Mohammed also fantasizing? And are you sure that you have actually read what he had to say?

He is attempting innovation. He is not so thoroughly deluded by fantasy as you. He makes no suggestion that there is no fundamental conflict, rather he does, I think nobly -but ineffectively- attempt to address those fundamental differences.

What would make you think me Scandinavian, or your friend?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2008, 02:50:36 PM »
It wasn't even my intention to call him apostate, as the aside that I included in that sentence would seem to suggest. I was making reference to his being like the "odd apostate," whose death XO is entirely apathetic about. I will call him munafiq. He claims to submit to something that he is in the process of remaking to his own desires.

================================
I did not say I was entirely apathetic about the death of the hypothetical odd apostate.

The original contention, which I refute, was that there is a full-blown WAR between Islam and the West, which is untrue. The murder of one apostate or even a dozen apostates does not constitute a war, at least from my perspective.

Do you maintain that if an apostate is murdered in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan or wherever, the US has a moral obligation to declare war and invade that country? Or should we just bomb them, or perhaps send them an unpleasant letter?

I reject being called a "munafiq" as well. If you must be insulting, use either my language or your own.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Maccus Germanis

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »
Actually, the wherever is where we already are.

"Now the Afghan Senate has issued a statement on the case - it was not voted on but was signed by its leader, Sibghatullah Mojaddedi, an ally of President Hamid Karzai.

It said the upper house approved the death sentence conferred on Mr Kambaksh by a city court in Mazar-e-Sharif."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7216976.stm

But never mind Khaleel M. has a more moderate "interpretation." There must'n actually be any fundamental violence toward dissenters in islam.