Author Topic: Michelle's America  (Read 4375 times)

Rich

Re: Michelle's America
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »
>>What in the last 40 years do you think a black woman might have to be overly proud of her nation?<<

Perhaps her degree from Princeton and her Harvard law degree?

Then there's the fact that she and her husband are two of the wealthiest of Americans?

As for being Black, those two things kind of stand out don't they? Michelle never had to march for her rights or drink from colored only water fountains. She never was forced to the back of the bus. Perhaps she could be proud of that? she could be proud that America HAS institutions like Princeton and Harvard. Then there's the millions of dollars worth of aide and disaster relief the US has spend over the last 40 years.

I mean, just for starters.

::)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:44:08 PM by Rich »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 11:41:48 PM »

Michelle Obama is just Hillary redux

Had an interesting exchange with someone in the press today, who noted that the big kahuna of the big-time-journalism outfit which signs the paycheck is fervently pro-Hillary, and seeks ?to use Michelle Obama?s first time I?ve been proud of my country? gaffe as a stick to beat Obama with.

Thus, you see, helping Hillary with her difficult February.

The irony here, of course, is that Michelle Obama is the circa-?92-Hillary of this election; she is the smart, tough, ivy-league-educated, loose cannon of a woman who gets drawn into controversy with her unguarded tongue and, at the same time, manages to draw press attention away from what her husband - or his campaign - is saying and doing, or undoing.

Heavens, she even - like Hillary - has put her college thesis under lock and key until after the election, just like Hillary?s own attempt to hide her collegiate pearls from the public.

And - adding to all the irony - even Barack Obama seems to be eerily similar to Hillary, as Tom Elia notes:

Barack Obama himself had all four of his Democratic primary opponents ? including the incumbent ? thrown off the ballot in his first political run for the Illinois Senate in 1996, leaving Obama the only, uncontested, candidate in that race.

Like Hillary in Michigan, Barack and all the Democrats simply want to make sure that every vote counts? as long as its by their individual counting methods.

So you Democrats and unhappy ?true conservatives? who are figuring to vote for either candidate in the ?08 elections, just be aware of something: no matter who you vote for, or who wins, you?re getting four more years of Hillary in the White House!

http://theanchoressonline.com/2008/02/19/michelle-obama-is-just-hillary-redux/

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 11:54:03 PM »
If she was accepted into colledge with marginal grades , was she then receiveing affirmative action ?

Rich

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 11:56:41 PM »
I would have to say yes. I wouldn't be proud of that. Maybe that's what she's been ashamed of.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »
I'll do Michelle a favor.   I'll be proud for her.  It's the least I can do     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Rich

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 12:12:42 AM »
>>I'll do Michelle ... <<

So would I ...

;)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
>>I'll do Michelle ... <<

So would I ...

;)

Actually, perhaps unlike you, I LIKE her. A lot.

After all, I know the IF, aka Integrity Factor, of Hillary. So, I LIKE Michelle A LOT. After all, who could be lower than Hillary and "I've never seen a cigar I didn't like" Bill. So far, Michelle has not shown what her IF is.

Speaking of this, how can ANY feminist like perhaps Lanya recommend Bill Clinton, and by extension, the CLINTONS, or say anything good about the integrity of the Clintons after his humiliation and degradation of women? He was a known womanizer. Does ANYONE, ANYONE, reject this premise?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:57:06 AM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »
Speaking of this, how can ANY feminist like perhaps Lanya recommend Bill Clinton, and by extension, the CLINTONS, say anything good about the Clintons after his humiliation and degradation of women?

Easy.....neither of them are Republicans.  Sadly, ends justify the means, with the vast majority of the left.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
Speaking of this, how can ANY feminist like perhaps Lanya recommend Bill Clinton, and by extension, the CLINTONS, or say anything good about the integrity of the Clintons after his humiliation and degradation of women? He was a known womanizer. Does ANYONE, ANYONE, reject this premise?

I reject the premise that Hillary is Bill and that Bill is Hillary.

I don't think Hillary should be tarred for Bill's proclivities. Bill is a better politician than Hillary, probably more likable, but she is the better behind the scenes person. I don't think it would be the end of the world if she were elected. I look at them the way i look at the synergy between JFK and RFK. If you wanted it sold, go to JFK. If you wanted it done, turn to RFK. In both examples there is a complementary skill set. Warts and all.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »

===================================
I reject the premise that Bill Clinton degraded women at all. He LIKES women. His intent was to have a good time, not to beat up women like Ike Turner. Monica loved Bill. They had to convince her that she was going to go to jail for a long, long time iof she did not rat him out, which was entirely untrue. The whole Monica affair was an obvious setup. Bill should have recognized this, but liking women is his tragic flaw, just as power was Nixon's.

The other ones who accused him did so because he wouldn't leave Hillary to be with them, because he likes politics even more than he likes women.

He was a damned good president, and would have been a whole lot better one had Ken Starr and other hired assholes just left him alone.

Juniorbush is the worst president ever, and has done almost nothing in a competent way since he was inflicted upon us by some corrupt judges. Dick Cheney is even worse.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 06:32:22 PM »

I don't think Hillary should be tarred for Bill's proclivities. Bill is a better politician than Hillary, probably more likable, but she is the better behind the scenes person. I don't think it would be the end of the world if she were elected. I look at them the way i look at the synergy between JFK and RFK. If you wanted it sold, go to JFK. If you wanted it done, turn to RFK. In both examples there is a complementary skill set. Warts and all.

Neverthe less the two of them are still the same set.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »

===================================
I reject the premise that Bill Clinton degraded women at all. He LIKES women. His intent was to have a good time, not to beat up women like Ike Turner. Monica loved Bill. They had to convince her that she was going to go to jail for a long, long time iof she did not rat him out, which was entirely untrue. The whole Monica affair was an obvious setup. Bill should have recognized this, but liking women is his tragic flaw, just as power was Nixon's.

The other ones who accused him did so because he wouldn't leave Hillary to be with them, because he likes politics even more than he likes women.

He was a damned good president, and would have been a whole lot better one had Ken Starr and other hired assholes just left him alone.

Juniorbush is the worst president ever, and has done almost nothing in a competent way since he was inflicted upon us by some corrupt judges. Dick Cheney is even worse.

Bill likes lots of women , he likes them bruised and on their Knees , he likes them powerfull , and he likes them powerless.

Mrs Tripp told Monica that if she didn't wash that blue dress it would be the sort of evidence that would keep bill from painting her a trash talkin lying tool of the rightwing, this is exactly how it turned out.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 06:55:15 PM »

I disagree because I beleive Bill has a great deal of influence on Hillary and her actions. I could be wrong...
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

Then there's the fact that she and her husband are two of the wealthiest of Americans?

As for being Black, those two things kind of stand out don't they? Michelle never had to march for her rights or drink from colored only water fountains. She never was forced to the back of the bus. Perhaps she could be proud of that? she could be proud that America HAS institutions like Princeton and Harvard. Then there's the millions of dollars worth of aide and disaster relief the US has spend over the last 40 years.

So, since she put in all the hard work and paid all the money and spent all the years, she should be then proud of her country? 

Or is the issue here that you, as a conservative, feel that Michelle Obama should just be thankful she got to got to a real school?

I only ask because the way you guys are talking, it sounds like she's lucky to even get to go to school at all like you or this disembodied thing called "America", if not pleased with our praise and pride, could, having been angered simply take away her rights.

Michelle shouldn't be proud that America finally made the changes that "allow" her to drink from the same water fountain as everyone else.  America should take no pride in that in the very least and America should feel shame for having had that setup in the first god damn fucking place.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »

So, since she put in all the hard work and paid all the money and spent all the years, she should be then proud of her country? 

Or is the issue here that you, as a conservative, feel that Michelle Obama should just be thankful she got to got to a real school?

I only ask because the way you guys are talking, it sounds like she's lucky to even get to go to school at all like you or this disembodied thing called "America", if not pleased with our praise and pride, could, having been angered simply take away her rights.

Michelle shouldn't be proud that America finally made the changes that "allow" her to drink from the same water fountain as everyone else.  America should take no pride in that in the very least and America should feel shame for having had that setup in the first damn fucking place.

You can't be proud of an ability to improve?