Author Topic: OTC statins?  (Read 833 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OTC statins?
« on: December 12, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »
Merck is trying to get F.D.A. approval to sell Mevacor, a statin drug used to lower L.D.L. cholesterol, over the counter, without a prescription. There are a lot of doctors who seem to be opposed to this idea. The general public is apparently too stupid to use statins without a doctor's permission and instruction. And of course, there is always the old fall back of Merck being just a greedy pharmaceutical. No chance that a lot of cardiologists might be looking to maintain their supply of money from folks having to go see the doctor to get their prescriptions... Nah, couldn't be. Gee, life saving drugs, cheaper than prescription and over the counter, helping many people afford needed medicine, even people without health insurance, and the doctors are all in rush to condemn it. And people wonder why health care costs are so high. Go figure.

FDA panel weighing Merck's over-counter cholesterol drug

Public Not Ready for Over-the-Counter Statins

"How craven can the drug companies become?" asked Dr. Michael Good, a family practitioner with ProHealth Physicians in Middletown, Conn. "They should put their efforts to actually inventing something new instead of trying to milk old horses for more money at the public expense."      

Yeah, not like the cardiologists who charge plenty of money so they can prescribe more expensive prescription medicines. Thanks, doc.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: OTC statins?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:12:09 PM »
On the surface, seems reasonable to allow this to be sold over the counter. My Crestor costs me $25 a month copay anyway.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:56:14 PM »
Big Pharma seems to think that $1.00 to $4.00 is a fair price for a pill. My doctor prescribed Lipitor for me, and gave me blood tests four times per year. When a test indicated a potential liver problem, he switched me to Tricor, a non-statin. I am opposed to the American mania for making all drugs available only by prescription, as this normally only makes them vastly more expensive.

I am taking a generic type of Lasix, and a Potassium Chloride pill to make up for Potassium depletion. Several years ago, they sold Potassium Chloride in the supermarket as a salt substitute, and a bottle of the stuff cost about as much as four of these outrageously expensive KCl tablets. Potassium Chloride is not any sort of wonder drug, nor does it require any great deal of research, but it isn't available in the US without a prescription.

All I really need to do to get the same doseage of KCL is to eat one banana. I am sure that somewhere in the Pharma induistry or the FDA there are people who would like to turn bananas into a prescription drug.

In France, Spain, Mexico and Argentina, all the pills I take are available at any pharmacy with no Rx required. It does say on the bottle that they are sold with a prescription only, but the pharmacist will only look at the Rx and hand it back to you if you bring it, and will sell all these pills with no Rx at all, at aboiut a quarter the price we have to pay in the USA. We are being diddled bigtime, and 9it would not be difficult at all to determine if selling pills the European way would actually cause more people to get sick or die.

The problem there is that people might overdose. The problem here is that people will not buy the things at all because they can't afford them.

The description of the drugs and the counterindications and side effects could be rephrased so that anyone (well, most people) could understand them and most Rx drugs could be sold over the counter.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 06:12:13 AM »
Several years ago, they sold Potassium Chloride in the supermarket as a salt substitute, and a bottle of the stuff cost about as much as four of these outrageously expensive KCl tablets. Potassium Chloride is not any sort of wonder drug, nor does it require any great deal of research, but it isn't available in the US without a prescription.

I saw KCl salt substitutes in the grocery store not that long ago (like a couple weeks ago).

However, KCl can kill you if taken with certain types of drugs. They is a caution on the label.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)