Author Topic: Record Stock Market  (Read 31142 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Record Stock Market
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 04:54:27 PM »
I have many friends that spend some time at home with the sales flyers every week, then plan their menus and shopping around the sales. It only takes a short while to do once you're used to it, and you can save a huge amount on your grocery bill. If you vary your trips to and from work, or to and from other errands, only slightly, you can usually hit all the stores you need without using much, if any, extra fuel.

If you live somewhere that has a number of stores nearby. If you invest in receiving the local paper (or receive sales flyers by another method). If you vary your trips to and from work, meaning you commute and you don't use another means of transit.

Is it really worth it? Or could you do as Brass or XO suggest and simply buy the cheaper items or ones on sale at the grocery store you typically shop at. Furthermore, one could simply alter their habits and not consume certain food items if they aren't on sale rather than expending the extra fuel and time searching for a coupon and maintaining a menu.

Don't get me wrong, it is a viable option, but why?

Personally I have other reasons I don't shop at certain stores. For example, Wally world's rather extreme anti-unionism turns me off (I was almost an employee there back in my college days until they began an lengthy discussion - with videotape on the evils of unions). So price is but one reason to select a store.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 05:11:34 PM »
If you live somewhere that has a number of stores nearby. If you invest in receiving the local paper (or receive sales flyers by another method). If you vary your trips to and from work, meaning you commute and you don't use another means of transit.

All of which are true for the vast majority of people. Everywhere I live, I have received the sales flyers in the mail, for no charge.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
I actually do a combination of things with my grocery purchases. I always buy all bread products at the Flowers bakery outlet. They always have the onion & kaiser rolls I like and the 9 or 12 or 13 grain bread for less than half than any grocery, and it's only half a block out of the way from my usual route home from work.

I get most of the staples -- graham crackers, grape juice, saltines, oatmeal,generic cheerios, biscuits, butter, fish planks, chicken, potpies at the Sav-A-Lot, which is only about 20 blocks S of my house.  All the rest I usually get at the Publix, because unlike the Winn Dixie (my old neighbor called it the Dim Pixie) I won't have to wait forever in line, there store brands are excellent (Winn Dixie's --especially thrifty maid--suck) and the don't stick me to use their ATM. About once a  month I stop by the new Wallyworld and buy a few things the other stores don't have: their ersatz  version of Crystal Lite and Helluva Good Extra Sharp Cheddar. There is a 99¢ Stuff store I go by every month or so to pick up cheap Argentine and Chilean and other stuff.

Fresh veggies I always pick up on Thursday or Friday at the Opa-Locka Hialeah Flea market, because they are less than half the price of any market. This is tomato season in Fla, and you can get up to 5 pounds for a dollar.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2007, 05:20:51 PM »
All of which are true for the vast majority of people. Everywhere I live, I have received the sales flyers in the mail, for no charge.

What would really blow the minds of those who made the decision to start sending sales flyers via the mail is the fact that I have looked at the flyer simply for the name of the grocery and made certain NOT to shop there if at all possible.

Not only are they losing the money for the printing and postage but also my own personal dollars that I might have spent at their store had I not known they were killing forests to try and make a dollar.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2007, 08:04:40 PM »
One buys beans because one anticipates being hungry for them. One does not buy GM stock for any reason other than selling it later for more money which as an older person you may want for buying beans which you don't need right now but might need later.

Everything can be measured by its equivelent worth in beans.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2007, 08:12:15 PM »

What would really blow the minds of those who made the decision to start sending sales flyers via the mail is the fact that I have looked at the flyer simply for the name of the grocery and made certain NOT to shop there if at all possible.

Not only are they losing the money for the printing and postage but also my own personal dollars that I might have spent at their store had I not known they were killing forests to try and make a dollar.

Without advertisement the News Paper would have to rely on subscribtrion alone and would cost more with ads the store subsidises your news.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2007, 08:20:54 PM »

You should listen to your Mother!

How long will your favoite store remain your favoriate after you learn that they are giveing you bad serveice , gougeing prices or disrespecting you?

If there is only one store in town they can get away with more , but this is the situation to be avoided and your Mother is working the diffrence to the benefit of the whole community around her. Without the efforts of people like your Mother what leverage does the community have on the store?

Generally, I do sometimes listen to my mother.  Sometimes I think that she is mad but sometimes she is right.  Saving 30 cents on chicken parts is not what I want my life or even my shopping experience to be about.  Money isn't everything.  I go to Super-Lo because the prices are fair enough (I'd buy Best Choice brand on nearly everything if my wife would let me), the people are rarely rude and it's unassuming.

I really don't understand how my mother's driving to three and four stores to get her groceries helps the whole community.  Please expand on that.  Personally, I think it is detrimental in the end.  While she may be helping a Mom and Pop grocery a LITTLE, she's also helping Kroger a LITTLE and so the Kroger help is more negative than the Mom and Pop help who I feel should get more of my help even if it means that I pay a higher price.

I prefer my SuperLo over Kroger.  I drive by Kroger on the way to my SuperLo.  http://www.superlofoods.com/Home.htm

The only thing wrong with SuperLo is they don't carry soy yogurt for my kid.  Kroger does.  And sometimes I stop there and get him some on the way home from SuperLo.

This is useing the power of the Consumor .

You may have no choice but to buy beans , but you can use your choice of bean supplyer to make the retailers behave themselves.

This leverage is strong for price , but some people use this leverage to reward stores that give themn a pleasant environment or political correctness.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »
Supermarket flyers consume less paper than ads in newspapers. I don't really care how they advertise.

There is one nearby President supermarket that has become a favorite of the local Haitians. The prices are very low, there are always lots of specials, but it can take 30 minutes on even the fastest day to check out. The cash registers are old, the cashier is incompetent, and the fat lady in front of me wants to argue about everything. The place refuses to buy whatever it is that most US supermarkets use to deodorize, and the place smells beyond funky: a medley of rotten lettuce, salt cod, sour milk and long deceased quadrupeds and bipeds.

The 4¢ I save on a pound of bananas is rarely worth the bother. They have dozens of specials advertised in every flyer.
======================================================================
Everything can be measured by its equivelent worth in beans.
===================================================

If your only reaction to any mention of the stock market is to discuss your potential future consumption of beans, it might be that you have not comprehended the personal utility of the stock market to your own present or future existence.

That's okay with me, but you might consider asking yourself if you are missing something that could improve your existence. At least it might result in your being able to consume greater quantities of beans.

yellow_crane

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »

Without advertisement the News Paper would have to rely on subscribtrion alone and would cost more with ads the store subsidises your news.
[/quote]

Newspapers as far back as the forties wondered whether the newspaper should be free, instead of the stipend cost.  They decided that making their papers free would devalue its worth, like a over-sized flyer. 

If you charge a nickel, you up its status.  Dime, more.  They reach a certain price just under what the country minds paying for it, thereby establing a good status, and the highest price the gentry will pay for it.

Newspapers have pretty much depended on advertisers all along.

No paper or magazine at all makes it on subscriptions, if by subscriptions you are talking about the price at the register. 

A magazine, solidly established in the currents and producing an interesting read and a good menu can command huge sums for their ad space.  Its figures dwarf those of the dispensary cost.

I can't imagine what miniscule part of producing the final product is paid by the $5 or so you pay for it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 12:44:25 AM »
Playboy gave me a totally FREE sub to their magazine for four years. All I did was buy a tape for $15.00, and they sent me a form to fill out for the next four years.

Now Esquire is offering to sell me a year's sub for $5.99.

I guess they need to have a certain number of subscribers to be able to justify their ad rates.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »
Out of curiosity, where in Christianity does it discuss "keeping the hell out of other people's pockets" and "individual responsibility" as a definition of freedom? I don't seem to recall this libertarian view of society from the teachings of Christ or the Apostles.

Is this Js advocating more implimentation of Christian doctrine within our Governmental policies?  But to answer the question, since I wasn't referencing the bible or theology with my comments on freedom, off the top of my head, I wouldn't be able to tell you off hand "where".  When I have more time, perhaps I could do a little reserach and reference those verses in the bible that advocate individual responsibility and not stealing from others.

::)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:25:19 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 12:13:05 PM »
Jesus was not a classical libertarian. I don't think he was even pro-capitalist.

"Sell what you own, give the money to the poor and follow me and trust that you shall be fed as the lilies of the field and the little birdies are fed", is definitely NOT, repeat NOT a Libertarian doctrine.

Neither is joining what is essentially a collective ruled by one unremoveable leader. NOT LIBERTARIAN. Not even Republican.

I continue to wonder why no one in this group is remotely interested in actually investing in the stock market.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:22:01 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »
I continue to wobder why no one in this group is remotely interested in actualy investing oin the st0ock market.

Well, "wobder" no more. I invest "oin" the "st0ock market."

Also, in bonds, munis, etc. I'm pretty sure I told you this already. I do most of my investing via mutual funds, but not all (mainly because I keep working for companies that give me stocks as part of my bonus mix).
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »
Jesus was not a classical libertarian. I don't think he was even pro-capitalist.

"Sell what you own, give the money to the poor and follow me and trust that you shall be fed as the lilies of the field and the little birdies are fed", is definitely NOT, repeat NOT a Libertarian doctrine.

Neither is joining what is essentially a collective ruled by one unremoveable leader. NOT LIBERTARIAN. Not even Republican.

I continue to wonder why no one in this group is remotely interested in actually investing in the stock market.

Most of my stock ownership is in the form of the Thrift Saveings Plan , something like a 401k.

My other big investment is real estate .

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
Is this Js advocating more implimentation of Christian doctrine within our Governmental policies?  But to answer the question, since I wasn't referencing the bible or theology with my comments on freedom, off the top of my head, I wouldn't be able to tell you off hand "where".  When I have more time, perhaps I could do a little reserach and reference those verses in the bible that advocate individual responsibility and not stealing from others.

Of course Christianity does not advocate "stealing," but it certainly advocates a responsible society and not simply a land of individualism. So when you do your research, try and answer the question I asked and not the one you fabricated.

What is it to you whether or not I advocate Christian doctrine in Government policies?

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.