Author Topic: Headline of the Week  (Read 1082 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Headline of the Week
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Headline of the Week
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
Joke of the week too.

Here we have a website called anti-war.com advertising the violent sport of Boxing.

I guess the all mighty buck is more important than reducing violence around the world.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:10:56 PM »
Boxing is violent, but it reduces the number of violent people to two, just as the David vs. Goliath match reduced what could have been a war to two persons.

I do not believe that boxing creates violence. It just makes a paid spectacle of it.
Which makes it voluntary: no one is obliged to watch, as I do not. I have not watched an entire boxing match since I was 12.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
Boxing creates violence because it fosters the belief in kids that hitting other kids is OK as long as you're equally matched.  If you knock the other guy out, you are a champion.  I don't see the utility in rewarding kids or in them seeing others rewarded for beating someone else senselesss.  It's bound to boomerang somewhere into anti-social behaviour either by fans or boxers themselves.

I used to be a fan myself of the Gillette Friday Night Fights back in the day and could probably still sing (off-key) the whole Gillette "Look Sharp!  Feel Sharp!  Be Sharp!" jingle, but you wouldn't want to hear it.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:09:52 PM »
Boxing is violent, but it reduces the number of violent people to two, just as the David vs. Goliath match reduced what could have been a war to two persons.

I do not believe that boxing creates violence. It just makes a paid spectacle of it.
Which makes it voluntary: no one is obliged to watch, as I do not. I have not watched an entire boxing match since I was 12.

If you are not a peace activist or a pacifist then your opinion could greatly differ from those people. I am not either but in trying to empathize with those types of people it seems reasonable to assume that a website against war might be hypocritical to advertise the violent sport of boxing. People have died from this sport. My big pet peeve is hypocrisy. I find liberals are the biggest hypocrites of all and politicians in general run a close second. I like consistency. If your values are peace then you should follow through with that philosophy in your business life and personal life. Otherwise you are nothing but a whore.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
Kinda like folks who push any and every tax increase possible, but you won't find them donating more of their $$$ into taxes.  They'll find every legal, and sometimes illegal loophole they can find to pay the minimum, in taxes.  I refer to it as the John Edwards phenomenon of Hypocrisy
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
Kinda like folks who push any and every tax increase possible, but you won't find them donating more of their $$$ into taxes.  They'll find every legal, and sometimes illegal loophole they can find to pay the minimum, in taxes.  I refer to it as the John Edwards phenomenon of Hypocrisy

yes indeed.