Author Topic: My Imaginary Friend, Jesus  (Read 534 times)

gipper

My Imaginary Friend, Jesus
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:52:18 AM »
Inspired consciously by Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof," who spoke to Yahweh in a personal "I-Thou" manner, later given theological heft by Martin Buber, and perhaps unconsciously by the movie "Harvey" in which the Jimmy Stewart character carries on a relationship with a six-foot tall bunny invisible (if I recall correctly) to others, I have Jesus as my companion. This works out quite well most of the time, with occasional snaps to reality as my wife overhears me cursing in my office at my goddamned printer, say, and asks, "Who are you talking to?" Full of mock fear and dread for not only swearing in the presence of, but some could say at, the Lamb of God, I dissolve into laughter with Jesus as He says in our imaginary language, "Don't sweat the small stuff," and, resoundingly, "There are many ways to the top of the mountain. What did you think, I'm a narcissist?"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:56:39 AM by gipper »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My Imaginary Friend, Jesus
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »
Inspired consciously by Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof," who spoke to Yahweh in a personal "I-Thou" manner, later given theological heft by Martin Buber, and perhaps unconsciously by the movie "Harvey" in which the Jimmy Stewart character carries on a relationship with a six-foot tall bunny invisible (if I recall correctly) to others, I have Jesus as my companion. This works out quite well most of the time, with occasional snaps to reality as my wife overhears me cursing in my office at my goddamned printer, say, and asks, "Who are you talking to?" Full of mock fear and dread for not only swearing in the presence of, but some could say at, the Lamb of God, I dissolve into laughter with Jesus as He says in our imaginary language, "Don't sweat the small stuff," and, resoundingly, "There are many ways to the top of the mountain. What did you think, I'm a narcissist?"

Is your imaginary Jesus a part of you  , or are you a branch of the vine?
How does your Jesus agree with the origional one?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=50&chapter=14&verse=6&version=31&context=verse

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My Imaginary Friend, Jesus
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:16:59 PM »
Luke 14:26 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

Copyright ? 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
[NIV at IBS] [International Bible Society] [NIV at Zondervan] [Zondervan]

26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters?yes, even his own life?he cannot be my disciple.
=============================================================
The big question is, can you hate your parents, wife and kids and your own self enough to be Jesus' disciple?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."