Author Topic: Moneygall  (Read 912 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Moneygall
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:38:50 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneygall

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/25/barack-obama-irish-visit-relatives

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/megan-smolenyak-smolenyak/tracing-barack-obamas-roo_b_859151.html

Moneygall (Irish: Muine Gall, meaning "foreigners' thicket") is a small village on the Tipperary/Offaly border, Ireland, on the M7 route between Dublin and Limerick.

With a population of just 300, the residents will be heavily outnumbered by the US president's own entourage when Obama returns to his Irish roots in May.

Several years ago, when I traced Barack Obama's roots to Moneygall in County Offaly, Ireland, I never imagined that he would visit his ancestral hometown as President, but on May 23rd, that's exactly what he's going to do. Though I explored Moneygall just last summer, I couldn't resist the temptation to return for what promises to be a festive event -- so I'll be there along with 5,000 others.

"foreigners' thicket"?

How extremely well this name will fit when the President gets there, unfortunately when the press can't find enough locals to interview they fall to incestuous interviewing of each other.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Moneygall
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
I fail to see how Obama is any more a foreigner to Ireland than anyone else with Irish ancestry.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
I fail to see how Obama is any more a foreigner to Ireland than anyone else with Irish ancestry.

President Obama is going to get a big warm welcome.

Following in his wake is an entourage of thousands and hangars on and press.

The press by itself will outnumber the residents, the press will be the factor to decide what the flavor of the event becomes.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
This is a positive sort of visit. Nothing whatever wrong with it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »
This is a positive sort of visit. Nothing whatever wrong with it.

True it isn't really hard news , Ireland is better off than it was ten years ago and this is a good celibration of the peace that makes state visits safe.

He is directly in the Wake of Queen Elizibeth II so he is exposeing himself to comparison pretty badly, but there is an advantage to being a decendant of Erie rather than being a descendant of King Henry VIII.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:38 AM »
I don't think that many will be comparing Obama to the Queen. It is not unusual for an American president to visit Ireland. Without the help of the overseas Irish in the US, Ireland would probably never have become independent. The Queen, of course, and all her family were against Irish independence.