Author Topic: Covering (Up) Obama  (Read 15902 times)

Knutey

Re: Covering (Up) Obama
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »
have you given up smoking- Yes , but I have backslid

Obama didn't even have the character to say that.

I was paraphrasing, butt I  was close :

“I have,” Mr Obama replied, smiling broadly. “What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon.”

Y'all do have such a penchant for making mountains out of molehill when there is a fuck of a lot more to worry about since your inamorato screwed up everything in his 8 years of Destruction Derby

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »
Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

"Fair enough," Obama said.

Even Obama agrees he got caught in a lie.

Knutey

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

"Fair enough," Obama said.

Even Obama agrees he got caught in a lie.

Or else , he might not have wanted to argue about something so silly like we are.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »
Giving up smoking is a personal matter. It is not illegal to smoke even in the White House. I don't think trying someone for perjury about their quitting smoking is valid.

This is a silly topic.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »
It is not illegal to smoke even in the White House.

Congress made smoking in the White House illegal during Clinton's term, IIRC.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »
I doubt that it is illegal in the president's living quarters.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 12:28:02 AM »
It is not illegal to smoke even in the White House. I don't think trying someone for perjury about their quitting smoking is valid.

No one is talking about perjury. We are talking about expectations for honesty in your public officials.

I disagree that that is a silly topic.

What I am seeing is a double standard.

Lying about smoking is on par with being accused about lying about the size of fish you caught, which if i recall correctly, had the kossacks nearly orgasmic believing they had caught W in a lie.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 12:33:18 AM »
I doubt that it is illegal in the president's living quarters.

Actually, I just looked it up. Yes, the ban effects ALL properties controlled by the Executive Branch and extends to 15' outside all buildings. However, it was an executive order, so Obama can rescind it if he wants.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Knutey

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »
It is not illegal to smoke even in the White House. I don't think trying someone for perjury about their quitting smoking is valid.

No one is talking about perjury. We are talking about expectations for honesty in your public officials.

I disagree that that is a silly topic.

What I am seeing is a double standard.

Lying about smoking is on par with being accused about lying about the size of fish you caught, which if i recall correctly, had the kossacks nearly orgasmic believing they had caught W in a lie.

Lying about the size of a fish is the least of the Bushidiot's lies by far. I really dont give a shit about the shallowness of Kossack's as the silliness of you trying to make out that Obama is a liar based on the silliest of pretext when your hero is a proven black liar of the worst sort.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2008, 11:14:48 AM »
Lying about the size of a fish is the least of the Bushidiot's lies by far. I really dont give a shit about the shallowness of Kossack's as the silliness of you trying to make out that Obama is a liar based on the silliest of pretext when your hero is a proven black liar of the worst sort.

Fact is Obama lied about his smoking. And you think lying is ok.

That has been the point of this exchange all along.

Knutey

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »

Fact is Obama lied about his smoking. And you think lying is ok.

That has been the point of this exchange all along.

You called it equivocation and equivocation  is not lying was my main point to begin with.  You have not shown in any way by picking on this silly  side show about smoking that Obama is a liar in any way shape or form. He is apparently still trying to quit and might succeed . Where as the Bushidiot is a a proven liar and failure in everything he has done. You would prefer of course that Big O fail as badly and would like to undermine him anyway you can. This issue is a really dumb one to to attempt that.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2008, 11:46:25 AM »
"Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly.

He lied. End of story.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »
"Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly.

He lied. End of story.

I haven't read the entire piece, but I would think that he might have been telling the truth - and then slipped. Lord knows, I've done that quite a few times in my life.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
To quit smoking, one has to convince himself that one is no longer a smoker. Getting rid of an addiction is a difficult process, and much of it is a matter of psyching one up for it.

Quitting smoking is a personal matter, like drinking coffee. It is just plain dumb to assume that anyone who says they have quit and smokes again is some sort of pathological liar.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »
He was asked a question, lied about it, when called on it he changed his story. All within 30 seconds.

He lied.

It amazes me to see all this excuse making over the fact that he lied.

Doesn't matter what he lied about, Apparently it doesn't matter that he lied, period.