Author Topic: the Iraq Study Group  (Read 2062 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
the Iraq Study Group
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:00:01 PM »
Grim in its language, the long-awaited report from the Iraq Study Group flatly declares the Bush administration's policy in Iraq "is not working." Co-chairmen James Baker and Lee Hamilton met with the president Wednesday and later briefed lawmakers in a bid to build support for "a new approach."

http://news.aol.com/dailypulse/120606/_a/a-new-approach/20061206104709990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

I am ternpted
really t o quote t o you a column of Wi!l Rogers in t he first World War.
T he Germans w ere giving us unshirted hell with the submarines and
one day Rodgers  column appea red and he said: "German Submarine
 Menace Solved. " la:e said: " It has been discover ed beyon d a peradventure
of a doubt that the submarine cannot survive in boiling water.
bTow," he said, "if you will raise the temperature of the ocean to the
boiling point, ali o f the Cerman submarines will be el im inated. " Eie
said: " There will be those of little mind who will in quire how this
is to be done. To them I say, 'I have pointed the path. You find the
solution. '"

http://www.ndu.edu/library/ic3/L60-093.pdf

domer

Re: the Iraq Study Group
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:48:58 PM »
You recognize real desperation when the "opposition" (read: "those unwilling to change") quote a clown instead of a statesman.

larry

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 01:21:27 AM »
The wall of conservative, single minded, subjectivism is crumbling. The puritan zealots have been conducting an insurrection within the United States for more than twenty-five years. Now, the radical fundamentalist are involved in a holy war in the Middle East and Americans are beginning to understand that subjectivism, is creating a police state. The modern day moralist crusade is evident in every aspect of entertainment, news programming and print medias. It is evident in the authoritarian legislation be enacted. The moral to the story is this- The premise of democray is subjective. That premise has been replaced by a government agenda of subjectivism. That is why Americans must piss in a bottle to get a job these days. Religious oppression is the problem and only Americans can say enough is enough. It is our country and we know how to put the puritans in their place, and we know how to establish a democracy. We did it before and we can do it again.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:27:10 AM »
That's quite a bit more optimistic than my own POV but very well said. 

<<The premise of democray is subjective. That premise has been replaced by a government agenda of subjectivism. >>

You meant to say a government agenda of "objectivism" didn't you?

larry

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 01:32:25 AM »
Yes I did, thank you for making that correction. It is important that the issue of objectivism become a matter of public debate.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:49:53 AM »
 <<It is important that the issue of objectivism become a matter of public debate.>>

The American public, with all due respect, is too fucking stupid to know what objectivism means, let alone debate it.  Peeing in a bottle they can understand.

These issues have to be presented in simple graphic terms, with lots of real-life examples.  I  hope you saw the Tom Tomorrow cartoon that Brass posted here.  I think the public "gets" irony especially if it comes in graphic imagery.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »
Do you mean "Objectivism" as in Ayn Rand?

How is religious fundamentalism os any stripe "subjectivism"?

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by these terms.

I don't think that Rand's sort of "Objectivism" is likely to ever capture any great following, being as it is a sort of elitism in which most people will correctly conclude that they have no chance of belonging to the elite. Not even Rand's husband seems to have made the cut.

Rand was the personification of the Hegelian antithesis to Soviet Communism.

Rand was very bright and capable of great writing. 'We the Living' was a pretty good read. The rest of her stuff was increasingly inferior to it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:37:12 AM »
You recognize real desperation when the "opposition" (read: "those unwilling to change") quote a clown instead of a statesman.

I don't know what you mean.

http://www.cmgworldwide.com/historic/rogers/write.htm

I have tremendous Respect for Will Rodgers and I think that the quote was apt for the situation.

The Iran Study Group is suggesting nothing new , but they are suggesting it with elan.