Author Topic: Mikey, a couple months ago you said the Euro was OK  (Read 6096 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mikey, a couple months ago you said the Euro was OK
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
That was the SECOND definition.  The FIRST was, "to prevent injury, decay, waste, or loss of."  The example given of this first definition was "Conserve your strength for the race."

"Prevent waste" is also essentially "use wisely".
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
The Conservatives seemed to favor the slogan "drill, baby, drill", in keeping with the concept that BP and other Big Oil companies should make even more money from the nation's natural resources. What has been allowed to happen though conservative-advocated lax regulations is about as unconservative as one can imagine: millions of oil fouling the beaches, the oysterbeds, and the ocean, going totally to waste.

All is wasted, not just the one natural resource that was being exploited, but everything that surrounds it.

I like the clever ploy that BP uses to reimburse those fisherman: show us your tax returns.
Fishing and shrimping is largely a cash business. How many fisherman do you suppose declare even half their income?

Big oil does the same thing: there is a well, there is a pipeline: who really knows what is going through it? Just the guy who works for the company...

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »
The Conservatives seemed to favor the slogan "drill, baby, drill", in keeping with the concept that BP and other Big Oil companies should make even more money from the nation's natural resources.

You seem to be equating the GOP with conservatives. I'd like to point out that the two are not the same sets, and in many cases there is minimal overlap between the two.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »
I was referring to the "drill, baby, drill", slogan and the movement to lift regulations on drilling and other business ventures, both quite vocally present at the GOP National Convention.

Before the fuck-up in the Gulf, I believe that it is safe to say that both Republicans AND "Conservatives" favored drilling deepwater wells in the Gulf. Some still do, but the smarter ones are like Bre'r Rabbit" "They lie low".

Conservatives are NOT generally noted for being conservationists, by the way.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »
The Conservatives seemed to favor the slogan "drill, baby, drill", in keeping with the concept that BP and other Big Oil companies should make even more money from the nation's natural resources.

I think the majority of people in favor of increased domestic oil exploration and extraction could give a flip about BP and the other big oil companies. Their focus is on energy independence, and a reduced dependence on foreign oil which seems to lead to military entanglements, which is why you will also find huge support within that demographic for the increased use of nuclear power and other means of alternative energy.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
There is no movement among conservatives to disband or regulate Big Oil. There is no movement for the US to exploit its own resources, as opposed to selling leases to those who have always exploited them. I agree that everyone would LIKE "energy independence", but no desire to remove those who destroyed public transportation in the 1950's and play all sorts of exploitative games with us at every gas station in the country.

For 50 years we have been hearing about energy independence, and each year the dependence increases.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 09:29:25 PM »
<<That doesn't make sense for the less welthy conservative , who are many , and none for preserveing their own poverty.>>

Exactly.  The conservatives in reality protect the wealth of the wealthiest.  There are a lot of conservatives who have actually been suckered into voting against their own economic interests.  In the 2004 Presidential elections a map of the "reddest" voting districts was prepared and in most cases they also coincided with the poorest districts in the country.

This is the phenomenon of the redneck moron - - the guys who are so fucking dumb they will vote for anyone who waves a flag hardest and plays the "patriotism" card loudest, even as they are getting fucked in the ass by him economically speaking.  A little subtle racism thrown into the mix doesn't hurt either.

That is your understanding  and you are very persistant with it .

Even though the "Liberals" are just as eager to avoid taxation on themselves and preserve their own welth.

Congress was a millionaires club in 1980 , still in 1990 , still in 2000 , now with the liberals firmly in controll of congress in 2010 is it less of a millionaires club?

Tell me what you think of people who cling very persistantly to their illusions , I wonder about the view from the inside .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »
The sympathies of the liberals tends to lie a lot more with the average citizen than, say, the sympathies (or lack of same) of guys like Dick Cheney or Mitch McConnell. It is quite difficult to get elected to anything without a lot of money behind one. There was a major difference in attitudes between Ted Kennedy and Trent Lott, for example.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »
The sympathies of the liberals tends to lie a lot more with the average citizen than, say, the sympathies (or lack of same) of guys like Dick Cheney or Mitch McConnell. It is quite difficult to get elected to anything without a lot of money behind one. There was a major difference in attitudes between Ted Kennedy and Trent Lott, for example.

You think that Ted Kennedy had more of a common touch than Trent Lott?

I would exactly reverse that.

Not just for these two , but as a general rule , conservatives are more alike the common man and liberals are more apt to condesend.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »
<<Congress was a millionaires club in 1980 , still in 1990 , still in 2000 , now with the liberals firmly in controll of congress in 2010 is it less of a millionaires club?>>

I really think you've confused the liberal/conservative split with fictitious Republican/Democratic split.  It's the Democrats, not the liberals, who are now "firmly in control of Congress," as you put it.  Between a Republican-controlled body and a Democratic-controlled body, you will still have pretty much of a millionaires' club on the Hill.  Why not?  They're both paid off by the same special interests, after all.

<<Tell me what you think of people who cling very persistantly to their illusions , I wonder about the view from the inside .>>

First you'd have to determine that it's illusions that they're clinging to and not facts When I'm sure that they are clinging to illusion, I generally let it go.  The illusions are powerful and there is nothing much that I can say to shake them.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 03:52:31 AM »
<<Congress was a millionaires club in 1980 , still in 1990 , still in 2000 , now with the liberals firmly in controll of congress in 2010 is it less of a millionaires club?>>

I really think you've confused the liberal/conservative split with fictitious Republican/Democratic split.  It's the Democrats, not the liberals, who are now "firmly in control of Congress," as you put it.  Between a Republican-controlled body and a Democratic-controlled body, you will still have pretty much of a millionaires' club on the Hill.  Why not?  They're both paid off by the same special interests, after all.

<<Tell me what you think of people who cling very persistantly to their illusions , I wonder about the view from the inside .>>

First you'd have to determine that it's illusions that they're clinging to and not facts When I'm sure that they are clinging to illusion, I generally let it go.  The illusions are powerful and there is nothing much that I can say to shake them.

Then count the liberal millionaires and get back to me on "class warfare".

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
Class warfare is the wealthy trying to glom an ever-larger share of everything by whatever means they can. They have been winning more than losing for the past 50 years. It is peripherally connected to politics, especially through banking regulations or lack of same.

The average guy does not run for public office, because he needs to work for a living, and many millions are needed just to run for office. That results in people who do not have to work for a living occupying a really large share of the positions in government.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »
Class warfare is the wealthy trying to glom an ever-larger share of everything by whatever means they can. They have been winning more than losing for the past 50 years. It is peripherally connected to politics, especially through banking regulations or lack of same.

The average guy does not run for public office, because he needs to work for a living, and many millions are needed just to run for office. That results in people who do not have to work for a living occupying a really large share of the positions in government.

Class warfare is fiction.

Liberals become millionaires after they acheive office or before , no less than conservatives.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »
Class warfare is one thing, politics is something else. They are only peripherally related.

Poor people and middle class people do not run for political office, as they have to work for a living. It costs money to run, plus one needs to have many contacts with bucks or perhaps a few with big bucks.

When someone says "we need to increase our productivity" that actually means, "you need to produce more for the same money, or produce the same amount for less money," or perhaps "you need to produce three times more for twice the money". That does not sound like class warfare, but that is what it is. The end result is that those who manage get more, and those who produce get a reduced share. This is the direction our economy has been heading in for a rather long time.

"We need to be more competitive, we must grow our business" these are generally what one hears when one is the target of class warfare.

Perhaps  you, as a government employee, do not hear this so often.

The beginning of every faculty meeting always began with the usual "you did a GREAT JOB last year, but we will need to to an EVEN BETTER JOB this coming year." This was always the introductory topic, and was entirely unrelated to salary increases or all the times when we got a great new health insurance plan that always cost more and delivered less than the old one. They could complete a new building and move most of the faculty into new offices, provide new computers, all of which made a huge difference, but they would mention this AFTER the EVEN BETTER JOB speech. 

It seemed to me that this speech was always given because the administration thought that they should be businesslike, and that this is what businesses did when they were being businesslike. I don't think that performance would have varied one whit had they never given the speech. I did the best I could every year anyway. But not because of the dumb speech.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
As Civil servants , what we always get is tobe more bussnesslike.

We should study Demming , the Toyota method, 6S,Just in Time , etc....

The latest thing that "revolutionises" us every year is gennerally a reprise of the Demming method not so much rediscovered as rephrased.