Author Topic: Pro-Gun Voices open to Bullet Capacity Limits  (Read 1196 times)

BSB

Pro-Gun Voices open to Bullet Capacity Limits
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:51:53 AM »
Some pro-gun lawmakers are open to bullet capacity limits

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER
| The New York TimesFirst Published 7 hours ago • Updated 6 hours ago

Washington •Sen. Christopher S. Murphy, D-Conn., is haunted by many things that emerged from the investigation of the December mass shooting at a Newtown elementary school. Among them is the nagging question of what prompted the gunman, Adam Lanza, to put down his assault rifle after killing 20 children and pick up the pistol he used to end his own life.

"We do know that historically in these instances, amateurs have trouble switching magazines," Murphy said, referring to the high-capacity ammunition feeding device used by Lanza to shoot scores of bullets in seconds. "I believe, and many of the parents there believe, that if Lanza had to switch cartridges nine times verses two times there would likely still be little boys and girls alive in Newtown today."

It is that conviction that has helped put fresh scrutiny on the size of magazines as Congress debates new gun laws.

While influential lawmakers in both parties view a proposed ban on assault weapons as politically toxic, lawmakers seem increasingly open to a ban on high-capacity magazines, like the 15- and 30-round devices that have been used in shooting rampages from Aurora, Colo., to Tucson, Ariz., where congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head, to Newtown.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/55854414-68/magazines-gun-ban-capacity.html.csp

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pro-Gun Voices open to Bullet Capacity Limits
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »
"......if Lanza had to switch cartridges nine times verses two times there would likely still be little boys and girls alive in Newtown today."

That is sad and silly.

But for people who have never changed a magazine , somewhat beliveable.

This is in reality as near to nothing as can be proposed, sure pro-gun guys can accept it , it makes so little diffrence.

BSB

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »
I have seen very good soldiers fumble a magazine while in the thick of it. Swearing the whole time. 

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
I have seen very good soldiers fumble a magazine while in the thick of it. Swearing the whole time. 

BSB

This is dependable?

We are going to bet childrens lives on the time it takes to click a magazine? The diffrence we want to make this way, is the one that got away in the interval of reloading?

This has little potential for making much diffrence.

I think that magazines of extreme capacity are gimmicks , more likely to misfeed than ordinary magazines, especially if fully loaded.

But I wouldn't want to claim that the increased rate of jams would be any real diffrence, and the idea that a limit on magazine capacity is a real diffrence is not much better.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
"......if Lanza had to switch cartridges nine times verses two times there would likely still be little boys and girls alive in Newtown today."

That is sad and silly.

But for people who have never changed a magazine , somewhat beliveable.

This is in reality as near to nothing as can be proposed, sure pro-gun guys can accept it , it makes so little diffrence.

BINGO
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BSB

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:23 PM »
It's just a measure Plane, no one is saying its a cure.

I'm afraid you and I are several galaxies apart. Maybe in another life mate, but not in this one. Bye.   

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »
It's just a measure Plane, no one is saying its a cure.

I'm afraid you and I are several galaxies apart. Maybe in another life mate, but not in this one. Bye.   

BSB

"I'm afraid you and I are several galaxies apart."
So true.

All the better!

There is just no point to being open minded otherwise.

Am I open minded when I discuss what I agree with?

No , that does not qualify.

Being open minded requires giving proper consideration to the POV that is not your own.

I don't require your agreement , your disagreement is pretty interesting.

But in spite of that I would like to encourage you to become openminded, it is not as risky and difficult as I make it look.

You don't even have to give up any particular prejustice, just acknoledge the humility required of yourself as you proclaim yourself right.