Author Topic: Bush's Legacy  (Read 7046 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bush's Legacy
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »
Then what was the point of this sentence?

Same as if the people of Iraq start getting mad enough and start throwing these insurgents & terrorists out

And you didn't answer my other question:  "Do the people in Qatar, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates live horribly oppressive lives?"

The "point" was the actions of the Iraqis will play a part in Bush's legacy, as it relates to the Iraq War.  I'm not sure why that wasn't clear from the initial comment.  And I have no idea of the lives of the folks living in Qatar, Bahrain, & the UAE.  Are they living under dictatorial rule??  Was there a memo I missed getting?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 05:02:47 PM »
And I have no idea of the lives of the folks living in Qatar, Bahrain, & the UAE.  Are they living under dictatorial rule??

You claim that Iraq can be a "shining beacon of freedom in the Middle East." My question is, does the Middle East need such a thing? Can those nations look to Qatar, Bahrain, or the UAE as models to develop their economies and political framework - as opposed to Iraq? Or would you consider the lives of people in those nations to be too oppressive?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 06:16:20 PM »
You claim that Iraq can be a "shining beacon of freedom in the Middle East." My question is, does the Middle East need such a thing? Can those nations look to Qatar, Bahrain, or the UAE as models to develop their economies and political framework - as opposed to Iraq? Or would you consider the lives of people in those nations to be too oppressive?

Only if they chose to.  We can only open the door.  It's up to them (the Iraqis) to step through.  If they wish to emmulate other countries, after being given the chance for democracy, that'd be there decision now, wouldn't it.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
Only if they chose to.  We can only open the door.  It's up to them (the Iraqis) to step through.  If they wish to emmulate other countries, after being given the chance for democracy, that'd be there decision now, wouldn't it.

You misunderstand. My point is that why don't we hold up those three nations as models for other Arab countries? Why try to create one from scratch in Iraq?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »

You misunderstand. My point is that why don't we hold up those three nations as models for other Arab countries? Why try to create one from scratch in Iraq?

What would be so special in pointing to a specific country and tell them they have to "copy them"?  Did we copy some country Constitutional segment by Constitutional segment.  Again, let iraq choose how they wish to develop, vs making them copy some other country.  If they chose to emmulate the UAE, then I say go for it.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 10:01:48 AM »
*sigh*

I'm not talking about Iraq.

You are saying that Iraq ultimately should be held up as a shining beacon so that other Middle Eastern countries will emulate them. That is President Bush's model of "spreading democracy." Let me simplify: Democracy in Iraq = Democracy spreading to other Arab nations.

Now.

My point is why? Why go into another nation and install a government to be set up as a model for others? Why shouldn't the UAE, Bahrain, and Qatar be touted as models for other Arab states?

See how that has nothing to do with Iraq's constitution?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 11:13:49 AM »
I'm not talking about Iraq.

And yet we both keep bringing them up.  Kinda bizarre that in doing so, we're not talking about them

Let me simplify: Democracy in Iraq = Democracy spreading to other Arab nations.

Not quite  Let me simplify  Democracy in Iraq = an example of modern day democracy to other Arab nations.  This whole excursion into Iraq never had as some primary goal, to spread it's version of Democracy.  If other coutries choose to, then fine.  Let it be their choice

Why go into another nation and install a government to be set up as a model for others?

Because we're not.  See above.  We have arguably the best form of Government, based on our Constitution.  How come we're not making Iraq copy us, branch by branch, position by position?

Why shouldn't the UAE, Bahrain, and Qatar be touted as models for other Arab states?

Why should they?  Why can't Iraq be its own model?

See how that has nothing to do with Iraq's constitution?

Not really, but whatever

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 12:04:01 PM »
Sometimes Sirs, I think Hamlet probably had more success talking to Yorick.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 12:09:40 PM »
And sometimes Js, a duck is just a duck

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »

One wonders what sort of repression is buried in your fascination with waterfowl.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »

One wonders what sort of repression is buried in your fascination with waterfowl.

Well, lemme help dissuade your worry and wonder.  None.  Hope that helped.  Perhaps I should use another term?  And sometimes Js, a whistle is just a whistle.  Better?