Author Topic: Actually china is benefiting from the opposite of it  (Read 1291 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Actually china is benefiting from the opposite of it
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
I call it genetic chaos ,meaning uncontrolled gene mixing with the widest variety posible which accounts to extremes of both sides of the intelligence spectrum. Hitler got it totally wrong. Eugenic will only bred specialization which is hardly what woud be called superior.

http://io9.com/no-china-is-not-conducting-a-giant-eugenics-project-512749419

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Actually china is benefiting from the opposite of it
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »
Selective breeding certainly does work. The odds of a Chihuahua giving birth to a Great Dane are astronomical.

They have been selectively breeding ever-faster race horses for over a century. But that is just one trait.

Talents, such as musical and artistic ability do indeed run in families. You are correct to say that Hitler got it wrong, because his "scientists" assumed that "Aryan" physical characteristics (blond hair, height, muscular strength) would be accompanied by superior mental characteristics.

Human eugenics (ie breeding for superior traits) was not possible in Hitler's time, but it is a lot easier to do with the knowledge that we now have about the human genome.

What is happening in China is that there is a lot more mixing of people from different parts of China due to peasants migrating from the hinterlands to the coast and other industrial areas. This will surely bring more genetic diversity. If they are attempting to breed mathematical geniuses, this will be among a small contingent. The trend toward diversity is unintended and probably will have greater consequences.

One thought is that mathematical talent might be tied in some way to autism and the idiot savant ("Rain Man") syndrome, just as the color of the pelts of dogs and foxes seems to be tied to the genes for tameness. More study is required in this field before a truly effective eugenics program is possible. I question that such a thing is desirable.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »
but Chihuahua has cranial problems and a great dane has back problems. intelligence so far seems to indicate it`s not a singular trait and also external factors can varied the results.ex. education.   genetic chaos will likely results in various types intelligence but truthfully more likely the increase in the amount of mathematical genius is more likely from the growth of more people being educated than anything else.

I`m willing to bet if the u.s. were to actually get serious with education we`ll see a rise in the number of geniuses here also. I recently came up with the theory that the bell curve actually encourages the bright student to hold back on the studies since it studying hard yields social negatives and holding back yields quite afew positives. I`ve ask many of my friends about the bell curve and they admitted that the idea that knowing that one kid can lower their grades made them not bother for the A and simply go for passing grade. it just not worth the effort. remember thiers not really much of a reward system for great grades.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »
I remember an article that all schools yearly require all students to take the proficiency test and access the progress of the schools. But it was found out that with the knowledge the test does not effect the students grades. Alot of them makes not effort doing well on the test since they dont care to add another stress in thier life.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »
The fact is that students in the US from wealthy neighborhoods perform very well. In the US, poor people tend to have many more children than wealthy ones, and schools are funded on property taxes, which means that if you live in Beverly Hills you will get a far better education than if you live in Tunica, Mississippi or the lower Rio Grande Valley, which are the poorest parts of the US.

There is such a thing as an aptitude for math.

We need to stress cooperativeness more than competition in our schools, as they do in many European countries. This prevents stress, while competition increases it.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Some will argue stress is good,I will admit at certain instance it can get the best out of me to perform. But Since I almost died from a stress induced condition. I can't really say it good for people and my 80% seems to still make me appear fairly intelligent.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
Funny i googled bell curve amoung asian in he U.S. and one theory of the high score is that the more educated tend to come to america. Which I know is false. I'm living proof of this. Taishan is the majority group that came to america because they are the poorest and can be made to do the work in america. Basiclly we're hillbillies. I've even been called that by other chinese. But what is true is the chinese that was educated in hong kong do very well here in the U.S. . It's the british education combined with not allowing kids to question authority that really makes kids learn.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
Chinese immigration to the US has varied rather a lot over the years.

The first were Cantonese-speaking peasants brought to build the railroads. Education was not a concern, as what was needed was cheap labor

Now I think most are Mandarin-speakers (not necessarily native Mandarin speakers) and they tend to be educated.

But I don't think Miami is typical of all Chinese immigration.

Immigrants tend to not be typical. Typical Chinese stay in China, just like typical Americans stay in the US.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
Well being able the speak mandarin doesn't say what region they are since it is the national language. But the newer immigrants are more likely affluent and can get to america. But the typical factor does come into play on what kind of people come to america.

And yep thats me peaseant stock. It kind of strange when i mention this to folks like a refusal to believe a chinese hillbilly exist. I don't get it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »
Ask any American to name five cities in China. Or ten. Or ask how many provinces there are. Most cannot identify or distinguish between the PRC and ROC flags.

My guess is that most Americans cannot name more than Peking, Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Americans are ignorant of China. I read a lot of Pearl Buck's novels or I would be totally ignorant. From 1950 to 1975, China did not exist in American schools. We got toys made in Taiwan starting about 1963.  Perhaps schools ignored China because of the Communists, but more probably because we are just provincial. We only know the countries where we fight wars: Europe, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines. So we do not know much about India, either. India is really confusing to people who think everyone is Black or White.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »
I do find it funny people think hong kong as represenative of china. It is hard to explain hong kong is part of china but it's not exactly chinese. I plan to go to china next years and i get many warnings about hong kong culture. Alot like new york but not as nice

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »
Hong Kong is Hong Kong. It is Chinese and not Chinese. Just like Macao is Chinese and not Chinese.

New York is a good example, because it is the US and it is NOT the US in very much the same way.