Author Topic: Perpetuating the fraud with an iron fist!  (Read 574 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Perpetuating the fraud with an iron fist!
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »

John F Kennedy series rejection down to 'bullying campaign'

15 January 2011

By RICHARD LUSCOMBE

America's most iconic political dynasty is at the centre of a censorship scandal after a TV network
suddenly dropped a multi-million dollar series giving a warts-and-all look at the lives of the Kennedy clan.

Those behind the project believe members of the family "bullied" The History Channel into axing The Kennedys
after objecting to the way the drama portrayed the private life and sexual escapades of assassinated president
John F Kennedy.

And they claim the Kennedys have called in favours to prevent the eight-part show, starring
Katie Holmes as JFK's wife Jackie, from being aired in the US.

The network Showtime became the latest to reject the project, declaring it to be "well-acted and well-produced"
but that "it doesn't fit the Showtime brand". The same claim was made by The History Channel when it pulled the plug.

The furious director of Muse Entertainment, the Canadian company that filmed the series, said he believed the networks
rejected it for political reasons.

"I doubt they've even seen it. They're objecting to it before it started," John Cassar said.

Showtime's subsequent decision not to pick up the series is seen as particularly disingenuous, given that it
aired The Reagans
when CBS dropped it in 2003 after criticism that the documentary-drama portrayed
former US president Ronald Reagan in an unfavourable light.

Respected industry newspaper the Hollywood Reporter said two prominent Kennedy family members had driven
a campaign to get the series scrapped.

It claimed Caroline Kennedy, JFK's last surviving child, and Maria Shriver, daughter of his sister Eunice
and wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger, had used their influence in the broadcasting world to get their way,
personally lobbying a Disney executive and a senior figure at NBC and A&E Television Networks,
the parent of The History Channel.

Ms Shriver was an award-winning journalist with NBC, and Ms Kennedy has a book deal with a Disney-owned
publisher for a collection of previously unreleased interviews with her father. Disney and NBC are part of a
consortium that owns AETN.

The scandal broke in the wake of the leaking of an early copy of the script last year, which prompted former Kennedy
aide Theodore Sorenson to dismiss it as "malicious and vindictive".

But executive producer Michael Prupas insisted The Kennedys was an accurate historical portrayal of the controversial
life of JFK, who was shot dead in Dallas, Texas, in November 1963. "It's the truth. It's a positive reflection, but we
have shown the flaws," he said.

He added that he remained confident that The Kennedys would find a buyer so it could be shown in the US.

The series will be broadcast in Canada in March and probably in Europe at a later date.

http://news.scotsman.com/world/John-F-Kennedy-series-rejection.6691352.jp

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Perpetuating the fraud with an iron fist!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
Like Reagan JFK was a public figure. I do not recall any Reagan bio series, either.

Both of these figures are regularly worshipped, and given credit for more than they really accomplished. Both of them had warts.

Even George Washington had a few of those: he was unwilling to free his slaves and sacrifice his comfy plantation life style, just like Jefferson, but I doubt that we shall ever show Washington warts and all.

I don't think I am for allowing family pressure to prevent the airing of any bio that is mostly accurate. A bio showing Reagan being buggered by a Koch brother, or Kennedy buggering his little girl's horse, Macaroni would surely be inappropriate,and I would be against airing such things as those, though.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."