Author Topic: The Once & Future Christendom  (Read 2868 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Once & Future Christendom
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »
Note the statement "amid one of the most difficult recruiting environments in the history of the all-voluntary Army."

Well, duh. It's always hard to recruit into the military while hostilities are going on.

This is common knowledge.

Regardless, your claim was that the Army "[has] failed to meet their [recruiting] goals," - "Just read any newspaper."

I thought the Washington Post was a newspaper?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 07:44:18 PM »
If they failed to meet their goals for two months, and made their nut for one month, I believe that it is acceptable to say that they failed to meet their goals.

They are also settling for older, dumber soldiers than they were at the beginning of this fracas.

and DUH, the Washington Post is a newspaper.

If we did not have so many small, dull rural towns where employment opportunities are next to nil, they would have greater difficulty still.

I suggest that this war is considerably less popular than, say, WWII, where it was clear that the nation had been attacked by the enemy.

Iraq was not responsible for 9-11, as has been pointed out many times.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 07:54:36 PM »
If they failed to meet their goals for two months, and made their nut for one month, I believe that it is acceptable to say that they failed to meet their goals.

They exceeded their goals for many months, then failed to meet them for two months, then exceeded them for the final two months.

I believe it is acceptable to say that they exceeded their goals.

Or did you miss the part that said "The Army had been regularly meeting its monthly recruiting goals"?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 08:02:56 PM »

And, actually, again from the Washington Post:

"Army officials confirmed yesterday that the service missed its June target -- the first time its recruiters have missed their monthly mark twice in a row since they were hit hard in 2005 -- but declined to discuss specific numbers before a scheduled release today. Three defense officials said the Army fell short by about 1,400 soldiers, well shy of its goal of 8,400 for June.

"Because recruiters consistently exceeded their targets throughout the first half of fiscal 2007, the Army still remains above its year-to-date goal by about 700 recruits."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/09/AR2007070901590.html

So, even though they missed their numbers for 2 months, they were still above their numbers for the year. And since they made them again the subsequent two months, any moron can deduce that they are still above their goals for the year. And they met their goals for all of 2006 as well.

crocat

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »
and people re upping...http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-17-soldiers-re-enlist_x.htm

There are SOME who believe in defending their country, regardless the specific mission. It is NOT the position of the individual soldier to question the decision-making of those over him, beyond initial considerations of human conscience. Can you believe what wouldhappen if this occurred every time we needed to take a hill "Uh, I don't really think so? Do we really need this hill, strategically, etc?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »
What the Hell is the slogan "An Army of One" really about?

Does anyone actually know?

It seems that they have dropped that slogan.

Now it's "There's strong, and their is Army Strong", wjhich sounds more along the lines of words used to sell Dr Pepper or some Lemon-Lime drink.

"Be all that you can be" was a lot better than any of these later slogans.

Of course, in a peacetime army, your chances to actualy learn something useful to a civilian were a lot greater than when there is a war on.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

crocat

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
and people re upping...http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-17-soldiers-re-enlist_x.htm

There are SOME who believe in defending their country, regardless the specific mission. It is NOT the position of the individual soldier to question the decision-making of those over him, beyond initial considerations of human conscience. Can you believe what would happen if this occurred every time we needed to take a hill "Uh, I don't really think so? Do we really need this hill, strategically, etc?

My thoughts... I agree with you and add that once a soldier is engaged, it is not specifically about 'his country' but his need to make sure that the mission is successful in order to keep his 'buddies' safe.  As far as the 'hill,' well you never really no what you need or don't need but one thing is for sure.... you are either chewing up and swallowing geography... or they are. 

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 07:56:25 PM »
This is indeed an excellent point. No matter how crucial air superiority is, and it IS indispensable in most cases, someone must still be on the ground and HOLDING territory. The theory is for the Corps to capture the beachhead and hold for the Army. Similar but very different missions.

crocat

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 09:03:29 PM »
What the Hell is the slogan "An Army of One" really about?

Does anyone actually know?

It seems that they have dropped that slogan.

Now it's "There's strong, and their is Army Strong", wjhich sounds more along the lines of words used to sell Dr Pepper or some Lemon-Lime drink.

"Be all that you can be" was a lot better than any of these later slogans.

Of course, in a peacetime army, your chances to actualy learn something useful to a civilian were a lot greater than when there is a war on.
I think an army of one is about each and every single person has the ability to think and be mentally strong as an individual.  The Army simply is trying to enlist those that are such.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 10:04:53 AM »
The joke, or semi-joke if you will, is that:

if you want to be a civilian, join the flyboys

if you want to be cannon fodder, join the Army

if you want to hug whales and ride in nice pretty ships, join the Navy

if you want to be REAL MAN, join the Marine Corps!

;D   ;D   ;D

The Army has the least restrictive entrance requirements. Breathing allows you to raise your right hand...lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:10:04 AM by Mr_Perceptive »