Author Topic: The Right-to-Cancer folks  (Read 7837 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Right-to-Cancer folks
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »
In essence I believe this issue comes down to common sense over the concerns of public health. Which I thought I pointed out well when discussing the vaccines that are already mandatory in my state.

Well, I guess they're mandatory except for those that don't want them. Your state code specifically says (emphasis mine):

a) It is the responsibility of each parent or legal guardian to ensure that such person's child or children receive the vaccines as are recommended by guidelines of the Center for Disease Control and/or the American Academy of Pediatrics to be administered to a child. The parent or legal guardian is encouraged to obtain the recommended immunizations within the first two (2) years of the child's life.
http://www.909shot.com/state-site/Tennessee.htm

Since they're using words like "encouraged" and "recommended" it doesn't sound too mandatory to me.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 03:21:55 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how home school is managed, but to enter the state schools (and private as well) a child's parents has to show proof of these immunizations.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 03:27:19 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how home school is managed, but to enter the state schools (and private as well) a child's parents has to show proof of these immunizations.

Or, as the law quite clearly states, a signed affidavit that they are opposed to immunizations.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »
Reckon that happens a lot?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »
Reckon that happens a lot?

Nah, most people probably just follow along with the state's strongarm tactics, and get their kids immunized.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 03:52:14 PM »
Ask me for specifics, vs trying to generalize me Js.  Might want to address my point as well, posed in the above query

I didn't generalize you at all Sirs. You made a point about a political party and I responded in kind.

Not close to analogus however, IMHO

My response was a generalization of the Republican Party, but it was parallel to your original post which was a generalization of the Democratic Party.   My response was really a point about the inane concept of disengenuously attempting to pretend that every Democratic stance is built upon the notion of "pro-choice" by pointing out that not every Republican stance is built upon the notion of "pro-life."

I've never made such a stance with the GOP.  Pro life of an innocent child is NOTHING in comparison to the "pro-death" of a convicted murderer.  How you can compare that to those in the dem party that condemns the GOP for not giving choice to a woman, yet lament about how choice should NOT be given to parents regarding this vaccine, is truely a stretch beyond description

In essence I believe this issue comes down to common sense over the concerns of public health. Which I thought I pointed out well when discussing the vaccines that are already mandatory in my state.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
Nah, most people probably just follow along with the state's strongarm tactics, and get their kids immunized.

Clearly not strongarm tactics by the state as you indicated under the law.

Are you a father?

Not close to analogus however, IMHO

OK...

I've never made such a stance with the GOP.  Pro life of an innocent child is NOTHING in comparison to the "pro-death" of a convicted murderer.  How you can compare that to those in the dem party that condemns the GOP for not giving choice to a woman, yet lament about how choice should NOT be given to parents regarding this vaccine, is truely a stretch beyond description

When and where did I condemn anyone?

I told you the purpose of my comparison was this:

My response was really a point about the inane concept of disengenuously attempting to pretend that every Democratic stance is built upon the notion of "pro-choice" by pointing out that not every Republican stance is built upon the notion of "pro-life."

I don't recall condemning anyone.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
Clearly not strongarm tactics by the state as you indicated under the law.

Sure it is. Parents are told it's "mandatory" and they go along with it, not realizing they can opt out. Their arm was twisted.

Are you a father?

Yup. She's planning on being a cop, so don't speed around here.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
Was she immunized?

Good looking girl. I've got a son and a daughter, but they are quite a bit younger.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The Right-to-Choice folks
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 05:23:50 PM »

When and where did I condemn anyone?

Where did I say "you" condemned anyone?

I told you the purpose of my comparison was this:
My response was really a point about the inane concept of disengenuously attempting to pretend that every Democratic stance is built upon the notion of "pro-choice" by pointing out that not every Republican stance is built upon the notion of "pro-life."

The comparison, despite trying to word it well, was completely off base.  It was quite literally, look at their wrongs, before daring to look at ours.  The point remains: pretty hypocritical for a party that stresses "choice", except of course for those choices they deem unable to be made by folks not as sharp, or smart, or knowledgable as they.  There is no reason, what-so-ever that this vaccine be required to be made mandatory.  And no one on the right is trying to facilitate women getting cancer.  Call it the Right to Choice folks
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »

Now this really ages you, Ami. I remember seeing a pic of your family some years back... and now your girl is almost all grown up. Blows my mind how time flies.  ;D

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »
I don't see that it will be made mandatory, as Ami pointed out. In my state anyway.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The Right-to-Choice folks
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 05:29:26 PM »
I don't see that it will be made mandatory, as Ami pointed out. In my state anyway.

That is the push, and that IS the issue.  NOT that it not be made available, or not be made period.  But that it be made mandatory vs being made optional (Choice)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:55:08 PM by sirs »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 05:37:11 PM »
Was she immunized?

Yup. And she got a lot of other vaccines than those on your list. I even had her teeth sealed so she'll never have cavities.

But I chose to do those things - they weren't mandated by law.

Good looking girl.

Thanks.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 05:38:01 PM »
Now this really ages you, Ami. I remember seeing a pic of your family some years back... and now your girl is almost all grown up. Blows my mind how time flies.  ;D

Yup, she's starting college in the fall.