Author Topic: Failure is success  (Read 10637 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Failure is success
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 08:57:05 PM »
Extending literally exacebates the current condition of the economy, spending money we don't have.

Really? How so? If you take that money out of circulation, what happens?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 08:58:51 PM »
Extending literally exacebates the current condition of the economy, spending money we don't have.

give working people a tax break.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »

The debt we are in under this President, believe it or not, is greater than every other president...COMBINED.  We already provide unemployment benefits.  One needs to start saying "no" 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »

The debt we are in under this President, believe it or not, is greater than every other president...COMBINED.  We already provide unemployment benefits.  One needs to start saying "no" 

suspend ObamaCare forever. pay no taxes for 2 years. declare economy fixed!

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »

How doctrinaire. What happens if you take the extended benefit money out of circulation, without replacing it with anything else.

Buehler? Anyone?

Now I agree that extending benefits is in no way shape or form a jobs program or a recovery plan, but i don't think you just leave these families hanging.

I also agree that now is not the time to offer new programs like the  sham of Obamacare, without a clear demonstratable way that it will be a pay as you go program, but i disagree that we leave these working families without at least a minimum safety net that the extended unemployment benefits brings.

And I agree that debt is troublesome, but i disagree that the American people are unworthy of that credit risk. And that is what we are really saying when we complain about the deficit and national debt.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 03:24:12 AM »

Now I agree that extending benefits is in no way shape or form a jobs program or a recovery plan, but i don't think you just leave these families hanging.

They're NOT hanging BT.  They are receiving unemployment benefits, and no one here is advocating they be pulled completely.  Please don't try to infer that folks are getting the shaft, and being left hanging, when they're getting a substantial amount of tax payer assistance already.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 03:36:34 AM »
Please don't try to infer that folks are getting the shaft, and being left hanging, when they're getting a substantial amount of tax payer assistance already.

So your position is that after 26 weeks, which is what state coverage normally is, that's it, too bad, so sad.

But i am curious why you keep insisting it is taxpayer assistance when if you keep benefits to what the state offers, then that is covered by employer premiums.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »
Please don't try to infer that folks are getting the shaft, and being left hanging, when they're getting a substantial amount of tax payer assistance already.

So your position is that after 26 weeks, which is what state coverage normally is, that's it, too bad, so sad.

Yes.  26 weeks is better than 25, and far better than zero.  Why not make it 3 years, if one is still unemployed for over 2?  How about 10 years?

But i am curious why you keep insisting it is taxpayer assistance when if you keep benefits to what the state offers, then that is covered by employer premiums.

Because its being propped thru added Government assistance.  Government makes no money, it can only take in taxes.  It ueses those taxes as it decides.  If it uses $X for unemployment benefits, but now wants to add $X+$y, that's using more tax dollars, when we're already in exponential debt

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 05:38:40 AM »

How doctrinaire. What happens if you take the extended benefit money out of circulation, without replacing it with anything else.

Buehler? Anyone?

Imagine that all benefits and entitlements were reduced 10% and all taxpayers given a tax break of the same size.

Voilla! Stimuated economy.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
so the people who receive the benefits, in this case unemployment, see a reduction in their safety net and are unable to reap the benefits of the tax cut.

Let's say they are your tenant. Does the reduction in benefits help you? Does the tax cut offset the negative flow of property payments?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »
There yago.....there is no reduction.  There is a planned extension.  How can an extension be a reduction in unemployment benefits??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
There yago.....there is no reduction.

Plane recommended a reduction. Along with a tax cut.

You are recommending not extending.

I am questioning the wisdom of that.

My reasoning is that the beneficiaries of an unemployment compensation extension are not limited to just the recipients of that largesse and that a reduction in the circulation of the proceeds from that extension could have a negative ripple effect throughout the communities hardest hit by the economic downturn.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »
I understand your reasoning......I would hope you'd understand and consider mine, which does NOT reduce anything, so I'd appreicate if you refrain from using that tactic when responding to my POV on this

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
..I would hope you'd understand and consider mine, which does NOT reduce anything, so I'd appreicate if you refrain from using that tactic when responding to my POV on this

Perhaps you can show me where i did this.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »
In your frequent inferrences that my POV amounts to a reduction/abolishment of unemployment benefits.  Unless of course, you're trying to be specific to someone else, but keep getting me lumped in somehow.