Author Topic: Lay off!  (Read 737 times)

The_Professor

Lay off!
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »
Giuliani To Media: Lay Off My Wife

Former NYC Mayor Says He Can Raise $100 Million
 Featured Slideshow I: Yes, They Really Said That!
 Featured Slideshow II: Openly Gay Celebrities

Lou Young
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK Several candidates for president are on a fast pace for fundraising. Democrat Hillary Clinton has set a record and Republican Rudy Giuliani isn't far behind.

But it's what Giuliani said Monday that will likely steal the headlines.

The former New York City mayor is fending off increased media scrutiny of his third wife -- the former Judith Nathan. Rudy is now asking the media to back off.

"Attack me all you want," Giuliani said. "There's plenty to attack me about. Please do it. But maybe, you know, show a little decency."

That's a tough sell for a man who suggested he might invite his wife into cabinet meetings.

As for the fundraising race -- we're still waiting on figures from Sen. John McCain -- but this is looking like a new era in money politics. A total of four candidates -- Sen. Clinton, Sen. Barack Obama, Giuliani and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney have broken the old record for this point in a presidential campaign.

The New Yorkers in the 2008 presidential race apparently know where the money is. Both Rudy and Hillary are raking in big bucks although Hillary is clearly in the lead money-wise.

New York's junior senator pulled in $26 million in her first quarter of fundraising, nearly tripling the previous record set by Al Gore in 1999.

Giuliani said Monday he knows what he's up against. One of his Republican rivals -- Romney has shaken up the GOP field by reporting a Hillary-like war chest of $23 million. Rudy on the other hand has raised $15 million, but insists he has the GOP momentum.

"We raised almost all of it in March and what that says if we can keep doing March that way we'll have over $100 million," Giuliani said.

Clinton was in New Jersey Monday to pick up the endorsement of Gov. Jon Corzine.

"I'm running for president because I want to get back to setting goals for our country," Clinton said during her first campaign appearance in the Garden State.

Hillary has one eye on Democratic rival Obama, who is thought to be close on her fundraising heels.