Author Topic: Times sure have changed  (Read 1648 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Times sure have changed
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
When I came to this country I sometimes hear some folks with outrage how much money is spent on making movies and how it should be used to help people.

But now as a anti-pirate campaign some movies state how it helps keep so many people stay employed. To me it looks like those outraged people focused on the wrong things.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Times sure have changed
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
Movie making is an industry, like manufacturing sofas or cosmetics. The money to make movies comes from the audience that watches them to be entertained.
People will not be entertained by hearing that their contribution of $11.50 went to feed a family of hungry Bangladeshis or Afghanis, so that is a no go proposition.

Nothing prevents the outraged people from missing the movie and sending $11.50 to CARE or Doctors Without Borders. It is silly to think that MGM would do this for them.
As for movie piracy, the assumption is that every person that watches a pirated film would have paid to see it in a theatre.
I watched two of the Harry Potter films on commercial network TV and I muted the commercials or went to pee or fix popcorn during the breaks.  I have not purchased a single one of the products I saw advertised. So, am I as guilty as the guy who watched the same film on a pirate site?
I often buy disks of pirated films in yard sales. I never pay over $2.00, even for the original disk. Should I feel guilty? I confess that I do not.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »
my spending habit would seem I`m socially consciecous but I`m not it`s just I prefer to see movies on the big screen and the bootlegs tend to be very crappy quality for me to bother. also i just don`t have enough time to see everything i want to see.

but i do know people who only see pirated stuff and most actually believe they are helping the industry by simply seeing and never paying.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
No one could possibly be helping the industry by watching bootleg movies.
They may have no effect at all.
I bought a bootleg copy of  Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" for $2. I am sorry I watched it, it was the most horrible thing I have ever watched.
I am glad I did not watch it on a big screen as well.
Most films I watch I watch on  Netflix.
The best I have seen lately was "The Alley of Miracles" (El callejon de los milagros). It was based on a novel by an Egyptian novelist Naguib Mahfouz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midaq_Alley_(film)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »
It's how they justify getting bootlegs

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 12:07:16 AM »
I know that I would never have paid $12 to sit in a theatre and watch most of the films I have seen on Netflix or on discs and tapes  I have bought at yard sales.