Author Topic: Poo poo on the TP  (Read 7285 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Poo poo on the TP
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:13:43 PM »
Crow calls for limit on loo paper 

Singer Sheryl Crow has said a ban on using too much toilet paper should be introduced to help the environment.
Crow has suggested using "only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where two to three could be required".

The 45-year-old, who made the comments on her website, has just toured the US on a biodiesel-powered bus to raise awareness about climate change.

She teamed up with environmental activist Laurie David for the shows.  The pair targeted 11 university campuses to persuade students to help combat the world's environmental problems.

"I have spent the better part of this tour trying to come up with easy ways for us all to become a part of the solution to global warming,"  Crow wrote.   "Although my ideas are in the earliest stages of development, they are, in my mind, worth investigating.  "I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting."

Laurie David's husband, Seinfeld creator Larry David, also appeared.

Crow has also commented on her website about how she thinks paper napkins "represent the height of wastefulness".

She has designed a clothing line with what she calls a "dining sleeve".   The sleeve is detachable and can be replaced with another "dining sleeve" after the diner has used it to wipe his or her mouth.

The shows involved a short set by the singer, a talk by David and segments of Al Gore's environmental film An Inconvenient Truth.

Article
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Poo poo on the TP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:45:21 PM »
until people stop eating fiber
we`re gonna keept using TP.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:00:20 PM »
until people stop eating fiber
we`re gonna keept using TP.

Perhaps then, the logical next step by Crow & Co is don't use TP.  It's all just wasting paper and resources.  Perhaps rubber gloves.  Maybe a very powerful air drier, angled appropriately of course      :o
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

fatman

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »
Biodiesel (or ethanol) bidet anyone?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:31:19 PM »
LOL ................ I'm not 'touching' this one

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 11:41:37 PM »
Air drier?
uhgh(shrug)

not a good idea
don`t wanna get too dry in certail areas

in fact I don`t how using a bidet stops someone from using tp to dry .
if you don`t dab your gonna risk getting rashes.
cheryl realy shouldn`t be talking about this
damn her damn!!!!!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 08:42:26 AM »
Poo is persistant. Removing all poo until one achieves the goal of a totally poo-free square of TP is rather wasteful. But I don't think the trees used to make TP need to be mighty douglas firs. I think hemp or other fast-growing plant fiber could be used.

If one uses a bidet, water washes the poo away, and then all that is required is a modest amount of TP to dry. Of course, an air drier or recyclable fabric towel could be used. I think the Japanese have perfected an air-drying Bippy.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Her suggestion i would assume would require voluntary compliance.

I don't see how it could be enforced short of TP rationing. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »
Rosie to Sheryl Crow: "Have You Seen My Ass?"
Posted Apr 23rd 2007

The answer, presumably, is no -- but Rosie made her point, pooh-poohing Sheryl Crow for suggesting that we all use just one square of toilet paper per trip to the loo.

Crow made her comments on her blog last week, and Rosie took a moment on this morning's "The View" to express her incredulity at the supposedly enviro-friendly suggestion. "Have you seen my ass?!" bellowed Rosie, and Barbara Walters was good enough to warn viewers not to use their sleeves, another of Crow's helpful suggestions.

That's just about enough scatology and wipe-tech for one morning on that zany kaffeeklatsch.

Article

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »
I don`t know if it`s wasreful or not
but i use a bathtowel (I bought for this purpose)to dry my dishes
dishtowels are way too small to me.
It really makes drying dishes easier.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 11:44:44 PM »

The first factory-made paper marketed exclusively for toilet use was produced by Marie Fagliano in the United States in 1857. Fagliano's name was printed on every sheet. Before this invention, wealthy people used wool, lace or hemp for their ablutions, while less wealthy people used their hand when defecating into rivers, or cleaned themselves with various materials such as rags, wood shavings, leaves, grass, hay, stone, sand, moss, water, snow, maize husks, fruit skins, or seashells, and cob of the corn depending upon the country and weather conditions or social customs. In Ancient Rome, a sponge on a stick was commonly used, and, after usage, placed back in a bucket of saltwater.

[][][[][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

What did we do before 1857?

We could always use the Arab method.
[][][][]][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Arab Iran "Toilet Shower" Good for taharat & Hygiene

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Arab-Iran-Toilet-Shower-Good-for-taharat-Hygiene_W0QQitemZ290088785033QQihZ019QQcategoryZ75059QQcmdZViewItem

....in Muslim countries - as in many other Eastern countries - bathrooms are always equipped with a water hose situated next to the toilet, so that an individual may properly wash themselves. This ablution is required in order to maintain ritual cleanliness, though using toilet paper is acceptable when one is not able to wash themselves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_hygienical_jurisprudence

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/pillars/prayer/prescribed/pp1_2.html

During the later Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD) a Muslim Arab traveler to China in the year 851 AD remarked: "They (the Chinese) are not careful about cleanliness, and they do not wash themselves with water when they have done their necessities; but they only wipe themselves with paper".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 01:17:08 AM »
What really amazes me is the utterly and completely closed minds of those who hate Sheryl Crow because she dares to see with her own eyes (and not with Karl Rove's words) that global warming is real and therefore her ideas of using less tp is considered just kookoo CRAZY.  Nyuck, nyuck.

TP is made from trees.  Trees help stop global warming.  Don't like using less TP?  What's another way to wipe your ass?  Or is there just tooooo much being asked of you to conceive of doing something differently to stop all human life from being wiped out?

Slamming on Crow's (a musician's) ideas of restricting TP usage is not solving the problem.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 02:36:45 AM »
Karl Rove has nothing to do with Crow's toilet paper idea. She came up with that one all by herself. And if she wants to clean herself with 1 square per visit fine by me.

Meanwhile I'll plant a couple dogwoods on the property and that should offset any harm i do to the planet by using more than 1 sheet per visit.

Perhaps we'll pass a law requiring 120 caliper inches of trees per 1/4 acre lot. Did that already. That work for ya?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 03:04:41 AM »
What really amazes me is the utterly and completely closed minds of those who hate Sheryl Crow because she dares to see with her own eyes (and not with Karl Rove's words) that global warming is real and therefore her ideas of using less tp is considered just kookoo CRAZY.  Nyuck, nyuck.

A) who here hates Sheryl Crow?

B) Rove has nothing to do with Crow's nonsense about mandating TP pieces available to one

C) No one is preventing her from using as little, if any, that she wants to use.  (or you for that matter)

D) It's folks like yourself, based on precisely this kind of knee jerk response, that tells me how little problem you'd have, if given the power, to legislate precisely how many sheets of TP we'd be allowed to use

FYI, contrary to your prescious Mr Gore, there is no unanimous concensus be it on global warming, and if any, the cause of it, and how much man plays in that cause.  I suppose the "global warming" I read occuring on Mars is pure coincidence, right?  So, you and Sheryl use as little TP as you want.  Heck, use rubber gloves and an air drier.  Whatever floats your boat.  JUst don't even try to lay some guilt trip on how much anyone else uses.  You may not realize this, but having worked in the medical field as longas I have, which includes Acute Care Hospitals & Nursing homes, there's alot *#&@ that can happen.  So you and Sheryl just mind your own dirty business, and leave others to deal with theirs as need be

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »
The only useful information in those two posts was the dogwood comment and it makes me want to go get a couple of little dogwoods.  It's raining here in Memphis today but maybe this weekend I'll go pick up a couple of one gallons.

They usually have to have shade, right?  Maybe one could get by on the east side of my house between me and the neighbor's house.

Thanks, BT!