Author Topic: Court grants appeal by FLDS mothers  (Read 1432 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Court grants appeal by FLDS mothers
« on: May 22, 2008, 02:51:08 PM »
Posted: May 22, 2008 01:17 PM

AUSTIN, Texas (KXAN) -- The Third Court of Appeals has ruled that Child Protective Services did not have the right to remove children from the Yearning for Zion ranch last month.

The ruling comes as a result of a document filed by Texas RioGrande Legal Aid last month. The TRLA is the largest provider of legal aid in Texas, on behalf of 48 FLDS mothers that TRLA is representing in their child custody cases.

"The way that the courts have ignored the legal rights of these mothers is ridiculous," said TRLA attorney Julie Balovich. "It was about time a court stood up and said that was has been happening to these families is wrong."

In the decision, the Court ruled that CPS failed to provide any evidence that the children were in imminent danger and acted hastily in removing them from their families. According to the Court, "The existence of the FLDS belief system as described by the Department's witnesses, by itself, does not put children of FLDS parents in physical danger."

TRLA will be holding a press conference in front of the courthouse in San Angelo Thursday at 1:30 p.m. regarding this issue.

Original article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Court grants appeal by FLDS mothers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:35:17 PM »
So the State of Texas should be cool with underage teenage girls being forced into marriage and unwillingly raped by aged geezers?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
So the State of Texas should be cool with underage teenage girls being forced into marriage and unwillingly raped by aged geezers?

Well, actually, if you've been following the news, you'll notice the number of "underage teenage girls" has gone down on a daily basis as they find out that most of those "underage teenage girls" are over 18.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

Turns out, many of the "disputed" minors are adults after all, a point CPS hasn't conceded until now. One of the "girls" is actually 27 years old.
Polygamist 'girls' surprise investigators

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »
This is good news, imo. I do not want to suggest that I am "cool with underage teenage girls being forced into marriage and unwillingly raped by aged geezers", but I would like to see some proof of these things before children are whisked away from their parents. We should not assume that because these people are all FLDS they are all rapists and child abusers, but as best I can tell from the multiple reports on the matter, that is basically what CPS did.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »
So the State of Texas should be cool with women being forced into marriage, so long as they are not underage, and actually, underage teenyboppers being forced into marriage is okay provided that there are not too many that are actually raped.

This whole cult is sick. Maybe it is legal, but I doubt it.
To assure that there are lots of young girls, they throw the young boys out, uneducated on the street. That is sick.

They don't educate anyone to be able to cope with even normal farm life in the US and that is sick.

They abuse the welfare system by claiming that these women are actually in need of public support. Maybe they are. Guys like Jeffs aren't all that productive as to support a couple of dozen children.

Keeping people in ignorance for their entire lives is sick. It is just as sick as normal village life in some backward place like a Pakistani village, well, except this bunch has no limit on the number of wives.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »
So your position, Xavier, is presume guilt and let them prove innocence later?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »
So your position, Xavier, is presume guilt and let them prove innocence later?
==============================
My position is that Jeffs is a pederast and a creep and has been tried and sent away for it. Perhaps he is the only one, so no further investigation should be required. One aged scapegoat should be enough to appease the people of Texas.

I suppose that we should just allow old geezers to force teenage girls into marriage forever. Why not?

Now that there are only maybe 23 underage teenage wives, that is not too many.

Of course, the homeschooling that all the young people get is entirely adequate for their sicko community, so we should just let them all go back to their interesting medieval culture.

The Amish don't give their kids much education, but they do teach all of them what they need to know to be successful Amish farmers. These clowns eject the young men with no education, where they are qualified only to be mentally disturbed,  bums or criminals. They reproduce like bunnyrabbits and abuse the welfare system, which was not intended to support polygamous communities.

I suppose that one could ask, "How much in taxes would you be willing to pay so these people can continue in their lifestyle?"

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:23:06 PM »
Now that there are only maybe 23 underage teenage wives, that is not too many.

The hearings for those have not yet happened.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 02:13:04 AM »
".... Ironically, the false rape claim may end up hurting the children, since Sarah's story triggered the raid. If the abuse allegations are real ? and Sarah isn't ? the government will have a difficult time prosecuting anyone at the compound for child abuse. The false rape claim may allow real child abusers to escape punishment, leaving the children as the littlest victims of false reports. "

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/080522-polygamy-case.html

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 02:28:20 AM »

My position is that Jeffs is a pederast and a creep and has been tried and sent away for it.

So because one guy in the group is a creep, they all must be? Is that what you're saying? I ask because that sure looks like what you're saying.

I suppose that we should just allow old geezers to force teenage girls into marriage forever. Why not?

No one is arguing that. Again, is your position to presume guilt and let them prove innocence later?

Of course, the homeschooling that all the young people get is entirely adequate for their sicko community, so we should just let them all go back to their interesting medieval culture.

Ah yes, the "they're different so they must be backwards and bad" bit. That's just ridiculous.

I suppose that one could ask, "How much in taxes would you be willing to pay so these people can continue in their lifestyle?"

Here's a better and more relevant question. How much in taxes would you be willing to pay to have hundreds of children taken from their mothers without any evidence of criminal behavior and forced into the foster care system? It ain't cheap.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 02:44:04 AM »
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9346914

The state alleged that 31 women ages 14 to 17 were pregnant, mothers or both, a count that included 26 mothers whose ages were disputed.

As of noon Thursday, just eight mothers remained in the disputed category.

[...]

The state also alleged that ranch residents, members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, have physically abused and emotionally neglected their children. No evidence of either has been presented in the dozens of individual hearings held so far this week.

[...]

David Barlow Steed came to Texas to help support his sister, Lori,whose child is now in state custody. When he arrived at the courthouse, a baliff wrote his name on charging papers identifying him as the father of his sister's child.

Just like that, Steed, who has never lived in Texas or been to the YFZ Ranch, found himself embroiled in the case. Weatherby planned to sign a document releasing Steed from the case Thursday afternoon.

Sweet cuppin' cakes! This level of incompetence is just astounding. I don't fault people for being concerned about the welfare of children, but this is starting to give the appearance that the group most likely to be endangering the children is not the FLDS, but the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.