Author Topic: Neanderthals  (Read 6746 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Neanderthals
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
Rheinwiesenlager, according to Wikipedia, was severe overcrowding due to rapid influx of prisoners that the Allies weren't able to cope with, poor sanitation, shelter and hygiene aggravated by official incompetence and an unwillingness to face up to the situation - - sort of a Hurricane Katrina with Nazi victims.  No allegations of torture as far as I could see.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
Many of them were reclassified as "disarmed enemy forces" - so they no longer qualifed as POWs under the Geneva Conventions - and were used as slave labor. Many were also distributed to other allied countries for use as slave labor there.

It was a bit more than just a "sort of a Hurricane Katrina."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 12:00:45 PM »
Rheinwiesenlager, according to Wikipedia, was severe overcrowding due to rapid influx of prisoners that the Allies weren't able to cope with, poor sanitation, shelter and hygiene aggravated by official incompetence and an unwillingness to face up to the situation - - sort of a Hurricane Katrina with Nazi victims.  No allegations of torture as far as I could see.

I had not heard of that one , is it no worse then ,than Andersonville?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 12:45:50 AM »
<<Many were also distributed to other allied countries for use as slave labor there.>>

Great idea !!!    considering all the death and destruction they caused there in the first place.  I hope at least some of them realized how lucky they were not to be subjected to the rigors of Auschwitz, Sobibor or Treblinka, to name just a very few of their own Nazi death camps.