Author Topic: They were gang colors. That's what it was.  (Read 1163 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
They were gang colors. That's what it was.
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:42:12 AM »
Dos Palos students protest after school forces sophomore to remove American flag shirt

Several students at Dos Palos High School are protesting today ? by wearing patriotic regalia to school -- after a sophomore student was forced to remove a T-shirt depicting the American flag.

School officials confirmed today that Jake Shelly, a sophomore at the school, was forced to take off a red, white and blue tie-dyed American flag T-shirt on Tuesday. The shirt contained the words: "United States of America, Washington, D.C."

The school's assistant principal issued Shelly a different T-shirt that read "DVC: Dress Code Violator." He was given his shirt back at the end of the day.

"It was really embarrassing and humiliating to have to wear that all day ? and just for supporting your country," his sister Kaycee Shelly said.

District officials said they apologized to the student, his family and the local American Legion on Wednesday ?- Constitution Day.

"In reviewing the dress code at the time, an administrator felt the shirt was in violation of that section of the dress code," District Superintendent Brian Walker said. "She asked him to remove it and he did."

The student violated a clause of the school dress code that does not allow "shirts/blouses that promote specific races, cultures, or ethnicities." School officials said they will now interpret that clause of the dress code differently.

A student who refuses to remove an article of clothing that violates the dress code is automatically suspended for 3-5 days.

Students on campus, Jake Shelly included, started a campaign to wear as much red, white, or blue clothing and carry as many flags as possible today.

Kaycee Shelly told members of the media that her brother was overwhelmed and did not want to participate in any more interviews.

Jake Shelly was wearing the tie-died T as part of a hippie dress-up day during Homecoming week.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/275/story/460170.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: They were gang colors. That's what it was.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:03 AM »
This is stupid on the part of the school.

I imagine that it would be possible to incorporate the design of the flag into something truly offensive, but this was still dumb.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:21:32 AM »
a different T-shirt that read "DVC: Dress Code Violator."

To really frustrate the administration , the students should wear DVC shirts as the height of chic.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
Actually, I've been wondering how they got DVC from Dress Code Violator. Is the school dyslexic, or the reporter?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:48:01 AM »
There is no law against stupidity. Unfortunately. 
I love the suggestion that students wear "DVC" shirts.  (Tell people it means Disney Vacation Club or Da Vinci Code. It does, Google said so.;)
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Cynthia

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 01:14:16 PM »
It smacks in the face of the very Constitution we live under, breathe under, and wear under .....no pun intented.

Seriously, that's outrageous on the part of the school. Someday there will be a new course for attorneys to take in law school; how to slap a law suit on the school system for being just plain stupid. This does not represent quality schools in this nation.

I've heard that cable TV is the root of all the paranoia, fear to express oneself, fear to walk the streets at night, etc, etc, etc. I am sure there is something at the root of all the crazy "reactionary" responses to a well intentioned form of expression.

Parents are afraid to allow their children to grow up in this society. Schools jump to conclusions. The media has done a number on this nation, along with many other video driven venues.
 I realize that gang fights have contributed to this particular story, but there are too many stupid administrators out there who should know better.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 01:16:19 PM by Cindy »