Author Topic: Coulter Said What?  (Read 54134 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Coulter Said What?
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2007, 11:41:55 PM »
The nastiness that is thrown at Ann Coulter - both deserved and undeserved - is not the issue.  Coulter's comments were pejorative.  If Edwards has called her a Lesbian, Coulter's comments would still be pejorative.  They might be a tad more justified, but they would not be right.

Using the term "faggot" - like "nigger" - is a pretty big deal.  Calling Latter-Day Saints Mormons is also offensive, but it is a minor offense since we only prefer the proper term.  "Mormon" is derogatory, but it lacks the emotional impact that those other words have.

OTOH try calling a Muslim a "Mohammedan" and see how many steps you have left in this life.

Thanks for the tip , how do they feel about Saracen?
  In Africa try to avoid pointing the sole of your shoe directly at a person , and in Greece do not wave with a rotating motion of the open hand.

In America do not get between professional loudmouths and shout , unless you can match their caliber.

The insult stream that Ann Colter receives is indeed a part of the issue, not because John Edwards never called her a Lesbian but because he never told anyone to back off of her.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:43:32 PM by Plane »

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2007, 11:47:36 PM »
Quote from: Universe Prince

Are you suggesting it's okay for Coulter to make bigoted comments because some people say mean things about her?

Why yes , sause or the goose IS sauce for the gander.

Wow. So you believe in do unto others as others do unto you. At least you're admitting it.

Would you single one participant out of a food fight for opprobrium?

This isn't a food fight. But I would suggest that throwing bigoted insults is not justified by other people saying insulting things.

Unless she is first or worst what is the complaint?

That she shouldn't say it at all. That saying it is wrong regardless of what other people may have said about her.

This situation is not only quite even , it is makeing her and her opposite counterparts wealthy , her more than they because there are more of them to split that pot.

Yes, and that is a shame, not a virtue.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2007, 11:55:25 PM »

The insult stream that Ann Colter receives is indeed a part of the issue, not because John Edwards never called her a Lesbian but because he never told anyone to back off of her.

B'HUH? Coulter gets a pass... because Edwards didn't tell anyone to not insult her? What the f---?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2007, 12:03:03 AM »

That is exactly the same joke  , but you are pointing out that the N is worse than the F.

I am pointing out no such thing. I am asking where do you draw the line. A question you have yet to answer.

I think that if she had told it this way, she would be  in rehab by now.

But would you be criticizing her or suggesting that her joke was somehow really about the NAACP?

Neither of these comes close to  me,  so you might should ask about pejoratives that do.

My Southern Appalachian heritage has some negative appellations that can be sent up , I don't encourage their use except while smiling.

So... Coulter would have to be making fun of you and/or your Southern Appalachian heritage directly before you would be offended? You're okay with people being bigoted and hateful, just so long as they're not talking about you? Is that what you're saying? Because that is what you appear to be saying. I hope you're not saying that, but it looks like you are.

I don't draw such a line for myself.
I do not use four letter words even while I was in the Navy, except of the purpose occasionally to illustrate that I am able  , Damnit!
I avoid the use of flag words such as we are discussing even among those who do.
When I sometimes caution someone to not use an offensive word , I accompany the caution with a real and practical reason as well as a good example.
Usually I listen uncritically when I won't need to pass any harm along.
I suppose  am being more generous than that here.

I am trying to avoid dehumanieing the subject of the speech and I am also trying to avoid dehumaniseing the speaker.

Contrary to rumor ,Ann Colter is a human being and is not picking my pocket or breaking your leg.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2007, 12:07:56 AM »

B'HUH? Coulter gets a pass... because Edwards didn't tell anyone to not insult her? What the f---?

Lets be clear then ,whether Ann Colter is the subject or the people who ought to be applying opprobrium to her aethe subject.

John Gets a pass on this but Ann Colters fandom does not?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2007, 12:22:10 AM »

I am trying to avoid dehumanieing the subject of the speech and I am also trying to avoid dehumaniseing the speaker.

Contrary to rumor ,Ann Colter is a human being and is not picking my pocket or breaking your leg.

What the frak are you talking about? Criticizing Coulter for calling someone a 'faggot' is dehumanizing to Coulter? And who said she was picking anyone's pocket or breaking someone's leg? What are you talking about? Will you please explain your comments?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2007, 12:30:57 AM »

What the frak are you talking about? Criticizing Coulter for calling someone a 'faggot' is dehumanizing to Coulter? And who said she was picking anyone's pocket or breaking someone's leg? What are you talking about? Will you please explain your comments?

You are perfectly free to express disaproval of Ann Colter's comments as far as I am cocerned but take care that you do not wind up in rehab , some are not as generous as I.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2007, 12:44:51 AM »

Lets be clear then ,whether Ann Colter is the subject or the people who ought to be applying opprobrium to her aethe subject.

You're the one who said "The insult stream that Ann Colter receives is indeed a part of the issue, not because John Edwards never called her a Lesbian but because he never told anyone to back off of her." Don't you know what your subject is?

John Gets a pass on this but Ann Colters fandom does not?

No, that isn't what I said. I did not suggest Edwards got a pass on anything. You're the one suggesting that Coulter can say without criticism whatever she likes about Edwards because Edwards has not told anyone to not insult her. You're the one making an excuse for derogatory comments. Frankly, I don't know what Edwards has or has not said on the subject. I doubt you do either. As I pointed out once before, I probably would not have said anything in this thread, except that I was struck by the absurdity of the suggestion that the phrase "but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,'" was somehow completely unrelated to the rest of the sentence. I have not demanded that anyone say anything about what Coulter said or criticized people who have remained silent on the issue. What I have done is question why anyone would defend or make excuses for what Coulter said. I am not holding people responsible for what they do not say. I am holding people responsible for what they do say. You're the one excusing the statement. Whatever criticism Edwards does or does not deserve regarding public insults toward Coulter does not excuse or justify Coulter's comment. As the saying goes, two wrongs do not make a right.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2007, 12:56:43 AM »
Just to be clear,  you haven't made your case convincingly enough to me that questioning whether Edwards was the heart of the quote or peripheral to the rehab riff is a defense or an excusing of Coulter's comments. It is a tangent. Fact is the segue works no matter whose name is there. Would have worked just as well with BT as the subject.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2007, 01:00:28 AM »
Obviously a rational exchange on this subject is something I'm not going to get from you, Plane.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2007, 01:17:15 AM »
Obviously a rational exchange on this subject is something I'm not going to get from you, Plane.

Hehehehe

I am haveing fun , thank you .

But you are not clear on my thoughts because you are makeing assumptions.

I have detected a stubtlety in Ann Colter and I realy think that BT has it right , the joke was about the stampede to rehab , some flag wording was requied to set the joke up.

Thus when Stray Pooch used an N word in setting up his point he was doing no more and no less.

Ann Colter walks a ledge that is replete with mud flingers for both sides , the opposition is numerous and energetic , what makes the requirement that Ann Colter be more restrained then her opponents?

Who indeed is Ann Colters exact opposite number?

Surely not John Edwards  , nor John Kerry.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2007, 01:23:47 AM »
Wow. I am astounded by the last few posts.    Plane, tell me you're kidding here. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2007, 01:31:32 AM »
Wow. I am astounded by the last few posts.    Plane, tell me you're kidding here. 

First tell me who is he exact opposition counterpart to Ann Colter.

Then I will decide whether I am kidding.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2007, 01:35:35 AM »

Just to be clear,  you haven't made your case convincingly enough to me that questioning whether Edwards was the heart of the quote or peripheral to the rehab riff is a defense or an excusing of Coulter's comments.

This from the man who questioned whether Coulter had a habit of speaking sequential English. Anyway, yes, I've gathered that you don't see your arguments as excusing what Coulter said. You claim you're not excusing her comment because as far as you're concerned she didn't intend to demean Edwards but rather to make fun of Isaiah Washington. Conversely, neither you nor Plane has made that case in a way that, to me, even seems reasonable, much less convincing.

It is a tangent. Fact is the segue works no matter whose name is there. Would have worked just as well with BT as the subject.

Pooh yi. The objection is not to her segue, or to her making a joke, or to her skill in making a joke, or her ability to poke fun at two different things at the same time, or to anything related to the way she executed the joke. The criticism of her comment is directed at the pejorative meaning of her comment. I'll not say this again. In fact, I'm getting a little pissed off that what I keep saying keeps being ignored in favor of some strawman issues about whether or not it was a clever joke. I don't give a good gorram whether or not it was a joke. It was a nasty, bigoted, pejorative thing to say regardless of whether or not it was structured as a joke. You don't agree? Fine, but if all you've got to argue your case is that the comment was structured as a joke or that the middle phrase was somehow a complete non sequitur having nothing to do with the rest of the sentence, then no, I am not going to be persuaded that you're correct. And I doubt very seriously that you would not scoff at such arguments if I were using them to defend some similar comment you did not like.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2007, 01:46:51 AM »

But you are not clear on my thoughts because you are makeing assumptions.

No, that is not at all true. I am not clear on your thoughts because you have not answered my questions. I have been forced to make deductions based on what you have been stating as your positions. If my deductions are incorrect, then you have been lying to me. In any case, your replies have grown increasingly nonsensical and have made apparent that you are not willing to engage in a rational exchange. If you're going to play some sort of guessing game about what you really mean, then we're done. You win. You wore me down with asininity. I'm out of patience. Congratulations.