Author Topic: Happy Birthday BSB  (Read 4124 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Happy Birthday BSB
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »
I had a lot of fun with BsB , but he would occasionally tip over into overblown responses to irritateing stimuli.

He was a good member nonetheless.

But were we good for him?

Cynthia

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
I had a lot of fun with BsB , but he would occasionally tip over into overblown responses to irritateing stimuli.

He was a good member nonetheless.

But were we good for him?

Yes, and no.

The yes, because he needed to have something to do during a rough patch.

The no, basically like many people experience here...and it isn't new to me, but I am reminded of it often. . . .

There is a thread of Good Ole Boy mentality here.  There is very little room for  proving a point,  which is obvious to the person living that truth, because ironically, this place is all about the win, and sometimes the "kill"... basded on the ole boys who dominate the place......this is not a debate room with lots of room for a healthy discussion.
It's sort of like the slaughter of the Romans in the den of lions. ha!
It's never going to be about beating the lions....but more about how badly the Roman is slaughtered coupled with the cheering from the crowd above.

I like this board, but I have to remember that unless you agree with the rules of engagement( my question is the only true question you should answer and if you don't YOU LOSE)...you will always lose here. Sad. Because there is so much more to a healthy debate than whether or not we prove something to one or two of the good old boys on here.

Oh well, that's the way it goes.

I have alwasy enjoyed the board as long as I stay a sort of cheerleader of sorts and keep my personal passions out of the mix.

BsB felt the same way. There was never going to be anything worth posting as long as the administration here felt one was WRONG.

Just a side bar comment.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:16:24 PM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »
But were we good for him?"

You know, that's a good question for many folks on here. Is this place good for one?

As much as I think this board has room for improvement, I think that as long as we stay in our groove, and not make too many waves, we can learn a lot ...because we are forced (some of us) to find the truth and give and take once in a while.

I think that we have to be careful not to fall into that rut of You're wrong and I'm right.

There is always more to every story...and personal experiences are not counted in this boardroom.

So, when one realizes the set up here, the DNS can be healthy enough. 

Taking a vacation from a thread is always a good idea, too.
 ;D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
  There is very little room for  proving a point,  which is obvious to the person living that truth, because ironically, this place is all about the win, and sometimes the "kill"... basded on the ole boys who dominate the place......this is not a debate room with lots of room for a healthy discussion.

That is exactly what is desired though.

The format doesn't allow for shouting down an opponent , what do we need further?

Cynthia

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
  There is very little room for  proving a point,  which is obvious to the person living that truth, because ironically, this place is all about the win, and sometimes the "kill"... basded on the ole boys who dominate the place......this is not a debate room with lots of room for a healthy discussion.

The format doesn't allow for shouting down an opponent , what do we need further?

Well, hon, I am used to this board. But, there have been those folks who just couldn't take it and not because they were proven wrong, when they were right. There is a sort of judgement around here, and a quickness for some to jump in and slam the other at any cost. to win. .. I suppose.

I don't mind it, as I am a bit of fluff here. ;)

I know my truth and this online debating place is just entertainment, and flexing of google muscles. ha!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 11:50:14 PM »

Well, hon, I am used to this board. But, there have been those folks who just couldn't take it and not because they were proven wrong, when they were right. There is a sort of judgement around here, and a quickness for some to jump in and slam the other at any cost. to win. .. I suppose.

I don't mind it, as I am a bit of fluff here. ;)

I know my truth and this online debating place is just entertainment, and flexing of google muscles. ha!

I don't know , we seldom see a "win".

Perhaps we should try a panel of experts that could award a score , that might motivate better behavior if the score suffered from points off with abuses.

Cynthia

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 12:16:25 AM »
You're right.

One just has to be able to weed through what is important in any given debate......to voice opinions, and passions.....and let the rest slide off the back.

d'oh.
 ;)
I am doing that now...but it is also a hell of a lot of fun in the process no matter how hard it is.

I am always for growing.

I love this place, I do. I do wish that more "guests" would join in. Gosh, there are so many.
Welcome you ghostly guests!!
 8)

COme on in....the pool is nice and warm...most of the time.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 01:53:47 AM »
You're right.

One just has to be able to weed through what is important in any given debate......to voice opinions, and passions.....and let the rest slide off the back.

d'oh.
 ;)
I am doing that now...but it is also a hell of a lot of fun in the process no matter how hard it is.

I am always for growing.

I love this place, I do. I do wish that more "guests" would join in. Gosh, there are so many.
Welcome you ghostly guests!!
 8)

COme on in....the pool is nice and warm...most of the time.

The pool is warmer closer to some kids than others.

Cynthia

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:18 PM »
The pool is what it is....I tend to think that the "pool" needs to be a bit MORE like a classroom.

Being on this board has taught me more about what a gift a classroom really is ...and what an art teaching truly turns out to be.

If there is no growth in the average poster's mind...then that is a waste of time. If this board is only about a win or lose mentality, and everyone in the top ten hero group wins all the time, then that is as boring as "hell". I watched a Twilight Zone episode..you know the one where the gansta' type dies and goes to what he thinks is heaven..with all the money, gambling, women he wants....but he realizes after a while that he never "loses"!? "Why", he asks the gatekeeper.

Because this "heaven" you think is heaven is actually HeLL!

To win and be right all the damn time without any sort of give and take is not only boring, but a waste of time. I sense that this board needs something more.

Perhaps time will tell, but if you notice, certain people on here seem to win every debate. It's an illusion in a way. In reality there is so much more to the world in terms of a good debate. 

This is a debategate...sure, debate. But who judges the debate a win or loss...? the participants. HOw is that a worthwhile debate atmosphere?  The 'central zoned, clique type debaters in here tend to circle, dive and attack...and like I said earlier, go for the kill...but it's not based on any fair sense of debate, ironically.  So, I rest and relax and chime in once in a while, but to come to any sort of real conclusion, I've  learned recently that that will never happen in here. There are too many familiar faces in here...not that there's anything wrong with that. I like everyone here, don't get me wroing.. The rules are set up by the players, and the outsiders don't stand a chance.

Ok commentary...as I see it...but I am not leaving...so don't think this is a bitch session. Just a thought, fellas, as I see it. I suppose there are too many emotions connected with the debate atmosphere to begin with. The one who can shut down the other with more insults, is on his way to a "win"....that's not fun!!
Ok see you soon after the literal shutdown. Hope these posts are not lost.:)

Cynthia

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:50:01 PM by Cynthia »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »
If there is no growth in the average poster's mind...then that is a waste of time. If this board is only about a win or lose mentality, and everyone in the top ten hero group wins all the time, then that is as boring as "hell". I watched a Twilight Zone episode..you know the one where the gansta' type dies and goes to what he thinks is heaven..with all the money, gambling, women he wants....but he realizes after a while that he never "loses"!? "Why", he asks the gatekeeper.

Because this "heaven" you think is heaven is actually HeLL!

To win and be right all the damn time without any sort of give and take is not only boring, but a waste of time. I sense that this board needs something more.

Cynthia

Very insightfull.

The "  Win  " here is elusive , the "explore " is a lot more availible than the ephemeral "win".

Learning what you think is usefull knoledge even if I can't agree with it , I certainly can't imagine or guess your thinking as well as you can tell it to me.

Cynthia

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 11:12:55 PM »
And there is so much more to a person than a bite of words on a debate group.

So, I am learning not to take this board so seriously.

You don't necessarily have to have a thick skin to post in here...but you do have to be able to breathe through that skin and often, before letting the "individual" posting make ou think you are wrong.

Huge grains of salt are needed in here....Got Water?

;)