Author Topic: The Catholic League and "The Golden Compass"  (Read 1091 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The Catholic League and "The Golden Compass"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »
This is a movie we definitely will NOT see. I have read his books -- "atheistic to a T". I'll wait for the next C.S. Lewis movie.

Then again, why not see The Water Horse instead?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:13:47 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »
This is a movie we definitely will NOT see.

That's a shame. Looks like you'll be missing a good one.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 05:55:40 PM »
There was a good quote in the paper the other day.  Something along the lines of; The Golden Compass will push you to be an atheist as much as Chronicles of Narnia was pushing you to become a Christian

I'm looking forward to being entertained
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
I read The Golden Compass to see if it would make a good birthday gift for my granddaughter, who's only two.  My daughter will keep it for her till she's 10 or 11.  I was inspired to do this by a New Yorker article on the author that came out about one or two years back.   

Compass was a very good story.  Positive outlook, "empowering" (I hate the word because it sounds like psychobabble, but in this case it's apt) for young girls, and it's not so much an attack on religion as an attack on conformity, herd mentality, tyranny and irrationality.  I think if you're interested in developing a young girl to her fullest potential, completely free of any restrictive sexual stereotypes, this would be an excellent book.  Much better than C.S. Lewis, who I find to be quite pernicious in some ways, although delightfully imaginative and light in others.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:14:45 AM »
Much better than C.S. Lewis, who I find to be quite pernicious in some ways, although delightfully imaginative and light in others.

I wonder what it was you thought pernicious?

I think you are wise to read it yourself before offering it to a young child. There are only a few years availible for training before the World at large becomes availible to a child. thee year are growing shorter all the time.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 09:32:20 AM »

<<I wonder what it was you thought pernicious?>>

I'm not a pacifist, but I felt it idealized and glorified war as a means of solving problems.