Author Topic: Was Barack Obama a Muslim?  (Read 3487 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Was Barack Obama a Muslim?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »
You could have a 7-Up with Mitt and watch the Olympics with him...

I am uninterested in having a president I think I would like as a buddy. It is far more important that he have the skills needed to run the country, prevent economic collapse and keep it out of war.

I think Reagan would have been a great neighbor, but I don't think I could have put up with Nancy for long. But as a leader, he was not so bright, even if he could give the speeches they wrote for him in an impressive manner.

I wasn'[t too impressed with his unscripted moments.

I found "Mr Breen, I paid for this microphone!" entirely unimpressive.

The guy's name was Green, by the way. He got it wrong.

To this day, they still say "Little is known of the Breen."
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
XO, I concur that this issue of "buddiness" means diddly in the big scheme of things. There are simply more importnat issues at play.

I wonder how John Patrick Ryan might be as a "beer buddy?"
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 06:39:15 PM »
Personally, I'd like to have a beer with Hugo Chavez. I bet he'd be funny as hell and likely knows where the best spots in Caracas are. I'd say he has some good stories too, having been a paratrooper and political prisoner. Far more interesting than our cookie-cutter politicians.

I don't think it'd mean much towards whether he'd make a good leader or not, but definitely near the top of the list of world leaders to have a beer with.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

yellow_crane

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »
XO, I concur that this issue of "buddiness" means diddly in the big scheme of things. There are simply more importnat issues at play.

I wonder how John Patrick Ryan might be as a "beer buddy?"

Then again, these increasing fantasy ruminations about identifying in buddiness with the president could augur sad tidings.

Remember, we are in the midst of a cultural revolution, and our mythology is getting a makeover.   Note how celebrities, preferrably vacuous and vain, are replacing our old models of hero, many of whom were proud, but were not narcissistic.

Could be the role of the president has already been reduced so significantly in terms of actual leadership, trivialized to the extent that it has become an object of vicarious auction, an on-loan identity, a mime who can be whatever your fantasy requires.  

If you are not president, or don't really need to be, you can be anyone you want.  

If you are president, you cannot be buddy, anymore than you can without consequence become buddy to your son instead of father to your son.  And despite dripping opinion to the contrary, you cannot be both.  

Having essentially empty shells like George W. Bush and cluelss Danny Quayle foisted on us as two supposedly credible representatives of the two top notches in the Executive might well serve to support such a theory.