Author Topic: Ford Motor Co Tumbles  (Read 2049 times)

BSB

Ford Motor Co Tumbles
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
"DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co tumbled to nearly the bottom of an annual survey of vehicle reliability due to flaws in its touch-screen navigation and entertainment system, while Japanese rival Toyota Motor Corp swept the top three spots.

In a Consumer Reports survey released Monday, Ford fell seven spots to 27th of 28 brands surveyed overall, while its upscale Lincoln brand fell 12 spots to 26th place.

The results represent a dramatic drop for Ford, which placed in the top 10 two years ago, with more than 90 percent of its models being average or better.

But problems with Ford's small car transmission system and glitches in its MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch touch screen systems have hurt Ford's rankings. This year, 60 percent of Ford's models and half of the Lincoln models were rated below average and none placed above average."

http://in.news.yahoo.com/ford-falls-further-reliability-survey-toyota-gains-170942652--finance.html

========================

What's the matter with Ford? I was at a Ford dealership the other day with a friend of mine who's brother owns a Lincoln dealership.  We sat in a new Lincoln and a piece of the center console was separated from the rest of it by about a half inch. It looked like it came off the line with the defect. I thought geesus, they shipped this car like that?

Toyota is back on top.

BSB

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ford Motor Co Tumbles
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »
Toyota is back on top.

I cant say if they are the top....
but I know my Toyota Corp vehicle has been a joy to own
and being in the transportation business Toyota & Honda have blow the others away on reliability.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BSB

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »
What I mean by on top is that Toyota is on top of this survey regarding vehicle reliability. I wouldn't know how to rate an auto maker as >>the<< top. Too many variables. 

I moved to Toyotas 23 years ago because their seats were the least objectionable to my back on a long drive. I haven't bought anything else since except the occasional Ford pick-up truck for business, and now, for recreational purposes. The Toyota product I have currently is over the top. It has "Dynamic radar cruise control", "Intuitive parking assist", and "Lane-Keeping Assist". A 4 hour drive feels like I only went to the store and back.  Cars are becoming quite amazing.  The US auto industry has to keep up. This survey says to me that they aren't. 

BSB

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
The US auto industry has to keep up.
This survey says to me that they aren't. 

And that's sad as hell.

BSB

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:21:53 AM »
Well, this isn't the first time I've seen Ford have this problem. About 15 years ago my younger brother and I walked a Ford lot and spotted over a dozen cars with obvious fit and finish defects.  My brother was the officer in charge of the Ford Motor Co. account at the bank he worked for so the walk through the lot was business for him.

Frankly I don't get it. Are they having labor problems? Are their robots not functioning properly? Are they having parts supplier problems? I mean gessus, can't they put a car together?

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:52 AM »
I really don't think you can judge Ford's cars now by a visit to a dealer 15 years ago. The Fusion is given good marks by most of the car magazines. Apparently the biggest problem is the touch screen system. Toyotas are reliable, but a bit boring. I would say that it seems to me that the best deal for the money for me would be Hyundai and Subaru.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 03:11:07 AM »
One more comment on this because this is a pet peeve of mine.

I, obviously, grew up driving American cars. Putting sex, and eating ppj sandwiches aside, there are few things I enjoy more than driving. And I like driving big, fast, heavy, Detroit iron but they don't make it anymore. (Well, there's a little out there now, but not much.)  So, I've been mad at Detroit since the mid 70s.  I've been waiting for the return of something like the Buick Electra 225, or the Olds 98 Limited, etc., that's put together well and you can drive the bleep out of it for 150,000 to 200,000 miles.  Today, if want that, you have to buy German or Jap.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 03:15:37 AM »
If you want to know what cars are truly durable, just visit the U Pick junkyards and check out the odometers of the cars that are obviously there because of a wreck.

You will find plenty of cars with over 200K on the odometer, American, German, and Japanese.

I saw a 1990 Hyundai Excel with over 300K once.

No one ever runs the odo FORWARD.

BSB

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:40:04 AM »
XO, I'm not looking for some little car that you can get 200,000 miles out of. I'm talking about a 5000 lb sedan with a 400 hp V8, that can take a licking and keep on ticking. For that you have to buy foreign. ( Well, except for the Chrysler 300 SRT8. At least they're on the right track). 

BSB 

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
XO, I'm not looking for some little car that you can get 200,000 miles out of. I'm talking about a 5000 lb sedan with a 400 hp V8, that can take a licking and keep on ticking. For that you have to buy foreign. ( Well, except for the Chrysler 300 SRT8. At least they're on the right track).  BSB
I read your feeling about Ford, but i wonder if a Lincoln may work for you?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
You can count on a new Ford or Lincoln to give you around 50,000 miles of reliable service. Most people who buy new luxury cars trade them in after four to seven years. I think a Toyota Avalon would be sufficiently luxurious for anyone, but perhaps a tad boring to some. You can get a comparable Kia or Hyundai with a 100,000 mile warranty for thousands less, and with all the power you want.

All cars have more reliable engines and transmissions than they used to. Consumers Reports does not seem to think that the Chrysler 300 is all that great for reliability, but it is not a bad car. You can buy two of them for what an Audi, Lexus, or Mercedes would cost with the same power, tough.

Leather upholstery is never as durable, and it probably something to avoid on any car. If you want comfort,a good set of sheepkin covers arre both cheaper and better, and can be replaced easily.

CU is very good at predicting reliability and precisely what is most likely to go wrong with each car. It is rather foolish not to check them out before you buy. The car mags are more into the thrill of driving, hence their love affair with BMW.

It is all a matter of taste once you have eliminated the few real dogs from the selection.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »
I still miss my '70 Cadillac Coupe De Ville. Monster engine, could cruise at 80 all day - well, except for gas stops.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BSB

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
CU, they don't make the Town Car anymore.

XO, I have on my desk the December 2012 Consumer Reports Ratings and Pricing Guide for automobiles. "Chrysler 300 - Reliability: Not enough data to rate. " So I'm not sure where you're getting a poor reliability rating from for the 300? As for leather seats? I disagree. The last 3 or 4 cars I've owned/leased have had leather seats. Extremely comfortable. The Toyota Avalon? I had one about 14 years ago. One of the best cars I ever owned. It was manufactured when Toyota was at it's peek in terms of reliability, refinement, etc.

BSB

BSB

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
See now, Bear knows what I'm talking about.

BSB

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
Yeah BSB, it was great. When I pulled out to pass, I passed, and quickly. Nice acceleration, the thing was a rocket. I pulled a 12 foot U-Haul trailer from DC to Pensacola with it, ran 75-80 most of the way, and it never broke a sweat, and it was 15 years old at the time. I recall some guy in a newer model Lincoln speeding up on me as I pulled out to pass him, I just pushed the accelerator on down and eased right on by.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016