Author Topic: Two for the price of one  (Read 1521 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Two for the price of one
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
By that definition, there have been precious few leaders in human history...

============================================================
Elizabeth Dole was hardly any sort of leader.

And yes, a real leader is a rare individual.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
Elizabeth Dole was hardly any sort of leader.

She seemed pretty capable when she led the Red Cross.

So, Kerry is not a leader? After all, he didn't get his way every time, either...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 11:52:01 AM »
So, Kerry is not a leader? After all, he didn't get his way every time, either...

========================
No, Kerry is not any sort of great leader. A great leader would have fired off righteous counterattacks on the sleazebag Swiftboaters within a day of their attacks on him.

He was, however, a better choice than Juniorbush and Cheney, The Moe and Shemp of American politics. (Rumsfeld was the Larry, I think)
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »
I am trying to think of a woman that can sound decisive and really competent at the same time without sounding "harsh".
Perhaps Oprah. Madelaine Albright did not sound harsh and grating, but she is not a great speaker. Condi is also a fairly good speaker, but she says stuff (mushroom clouds) that make her sound a tad daft.

Can anyone help me with this? What woman speaker sounds like a true leader?

It certainly is harder for a woman to do this than a man, because of our built-in cultural biases.
====================================

McCain has this 'aw shucks", down home tone that makes him sound a lot more like a good leader than many of his statements seem to suggest. Suggesting a 10,000 year comittment to troops in Iraq strikes me as loony to the point of clinical insanity. So did his kidding around with his parody of the song 'Barbara Ann' (bomb, bomb, bomb Iran, Let's bomb Iran) was also a bit more loony than I expect to hear from the Oval Office.

I would rather have an "aw shucks" guy in office, than a leader who is so stupid to literally use the office for a sex den.

McCain's speech last night was awesome.....and several others in the media noticed it, as well. He has the skill, but  doesn't have the humor elbow polished...'tis all. Let's not judge a person by his inability to make others chuckle, or to make others pissed off because of his lack of the smack.

I can't imagine a woman that could say the same exact things that McCain says and could sound so reassuring and logical in the wacky way of McCain.

Xavier, once again I would rather have a leader in the O office who demonstrates a poor attempt at humor, than have to listen to a screaming banshee for four years!
I have worked aroudn women most of my life, and when they have an issue with power, and when they will do anything to flex that power, it's not pleasant. Men are guilty, as well, dont' get me wrong, but WOMEN are hard to work for when they are so quick to see another woman fail.