Author Topic: Once Upon a Time in Afghanistan?  (Read 601 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

BSB

Re: Once Upon a Time in Afghanistan?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
I don't think a nation goes from the one depicted in the article, to the one we have now, without having had a lot of the latter already in place.

They said Vietnam was 500 years behind us when I was there. Probably true. I never saw anything as medieval though in Vietnam as some of the places I've seen pictured in Afghanistan. It's right out of the dark ages.

BSB

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:43:54 PM »
Very interesting BT.
Thanks for posting this.
I will be passing it along to many.
Amazing and sad at the same time.

(i hate to admit, but honestly as i was reading
i kept thinking "hey this is what someday they are going to
write about the United States and show pics of how great we had it"
until we let the libs ruined it!)
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
Very interesting BT.
Thanks for posting this.
I will be passing it along to many.
Amazing and sad at the same time.

(i hate to admit, but honestly as i was reading
i kept thinking "hey this is what someday they are going to
write about the United States and show pics of how great we had it"
until we let the libs ruined it!)

I don't wonder what would happen if they divided up all the Libs & Conservatives and sent them to different locations; the Libs would die and the Conservatives would not only survive but would thrive.

Liberals need someone/something to suck all the energy out of so they can exist and replicate. Kinda like what a parasite does to the human body when it invades. Like a cancer living off of healthy cells. In the end the body dies, that is what a liberal does to society.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

BSB

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:46:44 AM »
Life is change and change can be very disorienting, even frightening. How well your life goes can often depend on how well you handle that change. How well you predict it, when that's possible, prepare yourself for it, accept it when it comes, adapt to it, and so forth.

Some can not handle change. The Taliban is afraid of change. bin Laden was afraid of change. The entire Middle East is trembling right now, half way out on the high wire act that change of that magnitude always becomes.

Here in the United States many are now living in fear of change. Our place in the world is changing. Our demographics are changing. Our economy is changing, again. Congress is locked in an ideological battle much of which has to do with not knowing where to place the change that has come, and will keep coming, within the old framework.  But we have to accept it, and seize it, as we always have, and use it to our benefit. We didn't become the sole indispensable nation of earth by cowering in the face of change.  We didn't get to where we are by continually conserving the past. We got here by adapting, by creating new and different ventures. "Can do", remember? That's who we are.

So, we killed bin Laden a few days ago because he was trying to reach back and conserve a past that will never return by killing those he thought were the agents of change. He was, of course, doomed from the first. Here in the United States there are those who are trying to conserve a past that they never understood in the first place. They won't succeed anymore then Al Qaeda, or the Taliban will. The problem is the mess these fearful people create that the rest of us have to clean up while we are moving ahead to meet the always changing world.

This is a great time to be alive.

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:57 AM »
Life is change and change can be very disorienting, even frightening. How well your life goes can often depend on how well you handle that change. How well you predict it, when that's possible, prepare yourself for it, accept it when it comes, adapt to it, and so forth.

Some can not handle change. The Taliban is afraid of change. bin Laden was afraid of change. The entire Middle East is trembling right now, half way out on the high wire act that change of that magnitude always becomes.

Here in the United States many are now living in fear of change. Our place in the world is changing. Our demographics are changing. Our economy is changing, again. Congress is locked in an ideological battle much of which has to do with not knowing where to place the change that has come, and will keep coming, within the old framework.  But we have to accept it, and seize it, as we always have, and use it to our benefit. We didn't become the sole indispensable nation of earth by cowering in the face of change.  We didn't get to where we are by continually conserving the past. We got here by adapting, by creating new and different ventures. "Can do", remember? That's who we are.

So, we killed bin Laden a few days ago because he was trying to reach back and conserve a past that will never return by killing those he thought were the agents of change. He was, of course, doomed from the first. Here in the United States there are those who are trying to conserve a past that they never understood in the first place. They won't succeed anymore then Al Qaeda, or the Taliban will. The problem is the mess these fearful people create that the rest of us have to clean up while we are moving ahead to meet the always changing world.

This is a great time to be alive.

BSB

Good post. Succinct and to the point.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:00:54 PM »
Life is change and change can be very disorienting, even frightening.

I HOPE for real change in 2012, not the phoney change that Obama is orchestrating.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »
Life is change and change can be very disorienting, even frightening.
.........................This is a great time to be alive.

BSB

So , it is not a curse to be living in interesting times?

Frankly I disagree with your assessment of the public attitude in the US , I think us too blythe or even apathetic in the throes of future shock, as if we have no more controll than the pilot of a raft on a waterfall, but with no worrys that the raft won't protect its passengers when the waterfall becomes a river again.