Author Topic: Vandals burn flags on vets' graves, put swastikas on some  (Read 6008 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Vandals burn flags on vets' graves, put swastikas on some
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 11:36:01 PM »
I would definitely consider a swastika as evidence of "leaning right" and even of "Nazi-like" tendencies.  Did you know that Adolf Hitler wore a swastika?  And that he was a Nazi?

If it were kids, shock value is the key, not politics. You, Mikey, of all people should understand that.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 11:53:24 PM »
<<If it were kids, shock value is the key, not politics. You, Mikey, of all people should understand that. >>

Because I'm a big kid at heart.

I understand you can be a Nazi for principle AND  for shock value.  Shock value you can get with a Che Guevara  or  Fuck Fascism!
T-shirt or a Marxist-Leninist Workers' Party bumper sticker.  Nazi paraphernalia have no monopoly on shock vaue.

I'm not prepared to write off the political symbolsm in the swastika automatically.  Even kids know what it stands for.  Most kids.  Even rich white kids.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 12:00:15 AM »
I would think the shock value would escalate if an affluent white enclave had a sizable Jewish demographic. Wouldn't you?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 12:54:05 AM »
<<Obviously they must lean right in their bored stances though>>

Yeah, good thinking there, sirs.  I would definitely consider a swastika as evidence of "leaning right" and even of "Nazi-like" tendencies.  Did you know that Adolf Hitler wore a swastika?  And that he was a Nazi?

LOL....and yet, it's certain rabid faction of the left, who hates the U.S. military, and thinks of them as the 3rd Reich.  Let's see, desecrating military graves, defacing them with swastikas.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 07:05:15 AM »
<<I would think the shock value would escalate if an affluent white enclave had a sizable Jewish demographic. Wouldn't you?>>

I gotta admit, it would go ballistic.  Why don't we ask fatman what percentage of Jews you'd find in the island's general population?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 07:11:42 AM »
<<LOL....and yet, it's certain rabid faction of the left, who hates the U.S. military, and thinks of them as the 3rd Reich.  Let's see, desecrating military graves, defacing them with swastikas.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm>>

Well, in that case, since we're only talking about the fringe of a mainstream movement, there'd have to have been a whole lot of anti-war agitation in the area before the fringes get excited to the point of vandalizing graves.  Why not ask fatman how much rabid anti-war activity was fermenting in the little island community before the incident in question?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 11:05:07 AM »
<<LOL....and yet, it's certain rabid faction of the left, who hates the U.S. military, and thinks of them as the 3rd Reich.  Let's see, desecrating military graves, defacing them with swastikas.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm>>

Well, in that case, since we're only talking about the fringe of a mainstream movement, there'd have to have been a whole lot of anti-war agitation in the area before the fringes get excited to the point of vandalizing graves.  Why not ask fatman how much rabid anti-war activity was fermenting in the little island community before the incident in question?

We could, but that wasn't really the point I was making.  On the hierarchy of those potentially responsible, as it relates to what was vandalized & how, following bored kids would be anything pretty much not leaning right, if we're to stick to current logic and the rhetoric of said fringes.  It's in dealing with your fantasy of trying to name every body of folks who are either associated with the Government or the RW, & conveniently ignoring the much more plausible scenario of folks following bored kids
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 12:20:24 PM »
I like pinning shit like that on the FBI.  It's something that they're perfectly capable of doing, even if it should turn out that they're not implicated in this particular offence, it's something they've done in the past (not vandalizing graves, necessarily, but other outrageous, provocative acts designed to turn the general public against the peace movement) and folks need to be reminded, and they can't be reminded too often, what duplicitous scum they can be.  (In the Sixties, they tried to blackmail Martin Luther King into committing suicide.)

It's also good to remind folks not to rush to judgment when they're told to blame the Left for any particular outrageous act.  Things aren't always what they appear to be on the surface, agents provocateurs abound, and basically you should always keep in mind that it's the Left who are the good guys, they're the only ones who are acting out and speaking out against war, against torture, against indiscriminate killing and raping of civilians, they're the ones who want a better world for everyone.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »
I like pinning shit like that on the FBI.  It's something that they're perfectly capable of doing, even if it should turn out that they're not implicated in this particular offence, it's something they've done in the past (not vandalizing graves, necessarily, but other outrageous, provocative acts designed to turn the general public against the peace movement) and folks need to be reminded, and they can't be reminded too often, what duplicitous scum they can be.  (In the Sixties, they tried to blackmail Martin Luther King into committing suicide.)

It's also good to remind folks not to rush to judgment when they're told to blame the Left for any particular outrageous act.  Things aren't always what they appear to be on the surface, agents provocateurs abound, and basically you should always keep in mind that it's the Left who are the good guys, they're the only ones who are acting out and speaking out against war, against torture, against indiscriminate killing and raping of civilians, they're the ones who want a better world for everyone.

LOL

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »
There was something funny in that last post of mine?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 04:15:09 PM »
Yeah

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »
Care to let everyone else in on the joke?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »
they're the ones who want a better world for everyone.

Admit it, this is a great punchline.

fatman

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 11:00:46 PM »
Answers to previous questions:

Religions of San Juan county:

http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/reports/counties/53055_2000.asp

Note:  I am fairly sure there are Jews that live in the county.  A lot of the people there are retired executives from Boeing, Weyerhauser, Microsoft, etc.

As to how many are anti-war, I would say that it probably correlates with the national or state average.  There are bound to be some rich conservatives, but we all know that rich liberals are not unheard of or particularly rare.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 12:35:34 AM »
Hey, thanks fatman.  22 congregations representing roughly 20% of the population and not a single Jewish one.  Bahais and Buddhists but no Jews, who are a bigger demographic in the general population than either Bahai or Buddhists (I think!  Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'd say that means a lower than national average percentage of Jews, not a higher one.  No visible (congregational) presence at all.

I think that kinda blows BT's "swastikas for shock only" theory out of the water.  The group that woulda furnished the biggest shock reward just ain't there.