Author Topic: The right to own firearms in light of the Virgina Tech tragedy  (Read 10150 times)

larry

Re: The right to own firearms in light of the Virgina Tech tragedy
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
psychiatric exam

Should we have one of those for running for public office? We can't afford to have a nut for president. Hell, he or she might start a war based on their own paranoia.

domer

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 08:32:04 PM »
The glare and inspection and analysis of a campaign is an even more reliable substitute.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 08:33:32 PM »
And I'm dead serious about upholding & protecting the 2nd amendment
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »
I'm trying to be nice, but you don't think, you regurgitate the NRA line.

larry

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »
The glare and inspection and analysis of a campaign is an even more reliable substitute.

I don't know about that, It didn't keep Bush out of office.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 08:47:45 PM »
That was true until the war between the states. As a result of the Southern Militias being organized to go to war against the Northern Militias, the federal government created what we now call the National Guard. That resolve the issue of the militias, creating joint control by state and federal authority, but the new thinking at the time did not move to take guns away from the individuals of the states.

The current National Guard was founded in 1903, some 40 years after the Civil War. What took them so long?

In addition, I suggest you read 10 USC 311 just like Domer should; it gives the current definition of the members of the US militia. This US militia is in addition to the National Guard, which is defined in 32 USC.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

larry

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2007, 09:07:38 PM »
These statutes also divide the Militia into various classes, such as "organized" or "unorganized", in the case of 10 USC 311, or "active" and "reserve", as many states do, with "active" being considered the National or State Guards, but not the national armed forces.

Note: (National or State Guard)

forty years in politics is not a long time. What I wrote is correct. Whatever state militia exist today are for the most part ceremonial groups. It is the National Guard that Governors call up in a time of trouble.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »
I'm trying to be nice,

I'd prefer rational.  As of yet, I'm still not seeing it.  A Psych exam before you're allowed to exercise a fundamental constitutional right??

but you don't think, you regurgitate the NRA line.

While you regurgitate lawyer speak in the face of the founders and the clear wording of the Bill of Rights
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 09:19:45 PM »
I don't regurgitate lawyer speak, fool, I create it!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 09:21:40 PM »
Whatever state militia exist today are for the most part ceremonial groups. It is the National Guard that Governors call up in a time of trouble.

That may be true; however, the President can call up the unorganized US militia at any time. Just because he has not done so, does not mean that it cannot be done.

10 USC 311 defines the US militia, not state militias. State militias would be defined under the appropriate state code.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

larry

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »
I agree, however, selective service would have to be reestablished by congress. I don't think that anyone who would be conscripted would say they are a member of the U.S. Militia. They would be a conscript of the U.S. military or better known, a draftee.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »
I agree, however, selective service would have to be reestablished by congress. I don't think that anyone who would be conscripted would say they are a member of the U.S. Militia. They would be a conscript of the U.S. military or better known, a draftee.

If they're conscripted via the Selective Service, they become part of the US Army. The US militia is separate from the US Army.

larry

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2007, 09:46:05 PM »
Exactly. There is no such thing as an official U.S. Militia today.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2007, 10:49:11 PM »
Exactly. There is no such thing as an official U.S. Militia today.

Sure there is. It's defined in 10 USC 311.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked: