Author Topic: Tres Anos  (Read 9151 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tres Anos
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:46:36 PM »

Cubans are not allowed to watch foreign TV broadcasts

The official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party has warned Cubans against manufacturing or using illegal satellite TV dishes and aerials.
The paper highlighted the case of four men facing up to three years in prison for allegedly making home-made receivers to pick up foreign channels.

Cuba this week condemned a new US strategy of using Florida-based stations to beam TV Marti to Cuba.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6344691.stm

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Tres Anos
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 06:37:36 PM »
Are US citizens given the choice of watching Cuban tv?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »

I'm thinking that Cubans down in Florida probably have some access - at least satellite.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »
<<Are US citizens given the choice of watching Cuban tv?>>

They sure as hell aren't allowed to watch Al Jazeera.  But remain perfectly free to sneer at Cuba's media controls.  What a great freedom-loving country.  I'm so glad they're not hypocrites too.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
They sure as hell aren't allowed to watch Al Jazeera.  But remain perfectly free to sneer at Cuba's media controls.  What a great freedom-loving country.  I'm so glad they're not hypocrites too.

Certainly they are... unless satellite doesn't count. But we had it with Dish Network before we left for Jordan. There's an English language version now, too.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:29:30 PM »

Sure. It's streamed on the 'net, Castro has built high-powered transmitters to beam it into south Florida, and many cable and satellite systems carry it as an optional channel.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:30:33 PM »

Funny, it's available on many satellite and cable systems.

Sure you aren't thinking of Canada?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:41:47 PM »

==========================================
In Miami, you cannot get Cuban TV. It is not available on Comcast cable, or the Dish or Direct TV networks.
You would need some sort of special equipment. Maybe it is possible to pick it up in Key West.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 11:03:47 PM »
In Miami, you cannot get Cuban TV. It is not available on Comcast cable, or the Dish or Direct TV networks.
You would need some sort of special equipment. Maybe it is possible to pick it up in Key West.

You can use any C-band satellite dish. It's even freely available (you don't have to subscribe).

Here is a page that lists the birds and channels it's broadcast on: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Cuba.html

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 11:55:36 PM »
<<Funny, it's available on many satellite and cable systems.

<<Sure you aren't thinking of Canada?>>

It's banned in Canada because the government imposed conditions on any commercial carrier that would have made it financially impossible to carry the program.  I just assumed it was also banned in the U.S.A.   You are saying that in any major metropolitan centre in the U.S.A., I could hook up to a major cable company and get Al Jazeera?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 12:12:10 AM »
======================================================================
You can use any C-band satellite dish. It's even freely available (you don't have to subscribe).

Here is a page that lists the birds and channels it's broadcast on: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Cuba.html

=======================================
I would classify a C-Band satellite dish as 'special equipment'.
Not one in ten thousand homes has one. Maybe not one in a hundred thousand.

I am planning to get some sort of dish that will not involve me paying some bunch any monthly fees at all, by the way.
I would like to get TV in Spanish, French and English.
Any suggestions?\
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 09:19:20 AM »
I am planning to get some sort of dish that will not involve me paying some bunch any monthly fees at all, by the way.
Any suggestions?

Yeah, get a C-Band satellite dish. Since everyone is switching to digital, you can find people that will give you their equipment if you come take it down and haul it away. I know that is what the lady who bought my house in Baltimore did, since she didn't want the dish and I refused to take it with me.

C-Band is not "special equipment" - it's the old-style satellite dish, commonly known as the "West Viginia State Flower," since so many rural areas had them in nearly every yard.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:22:06 AM by Amianthus »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 01:58:40 PM »
Any suggestions?

Yeah, get a C-Band satellite dish. Since everyone is switching to digital, you can find people that will give you their equipment if you come take it down and haul it away. I know that is what the lady who bought my house in Baltimore did, since she didn't want the dish and I refused to take it with me.

C-Band is not "special equipment" - it's the old-style satellite dish, commonly known as the "West Viginia State Flower," since so many rural areas had them in nearly every yard.

But don't try to set up a rig like that in Cuba.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 12:31:48 AM »
<<But don't try to set up a rig like that in Cuba.>>

I tend to think along XO's lines.  Those C-band satellite dishes probably don't exist in one in ten thousand households.

When the availability of Al Jazeera is restricted to C-band dishes, in effect it means Al Jazeera is banned from America in 9999 out of 10,000 homes.  Pretty damn good censorship IMHO.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 01:59:45 AM »
<<But don't try to set up a rig like that in Cuba.>>

I tend to think along XO's lines.  Those C-band satellite dishes probably don't exist in one in ten thousand households.

When the availability of Al Jazeera is restricted to C-band dishes, in effect it means Al Jazeera is banned from America in 9999 out of 10,000 homes.  Pretty damn good censorship IMHO.

Would three of them be a threat to our state?